NSW Schools Constitutional Convention 2016 (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
Never heard about such a convention.

So what is it?

jkhoo

HSC
I went to the 2015 NSW one and the 2016 National one! Basically at each convention you meet up with 100+ students from across the state/country, and you're given a topic that relates to the Australian constitution to discuss. E.g. state/federal separation of powers, the responsibility for education in a federation, Indigenous constitutional recognition, etc. It's a bit of fun and you meet tons of great people :) soak it up and hopefully you get to experience the National convention!

HSC
I went to the 2015 NSW one and the 2016 National one! Basically at each convention you meet up with 100+ students from across the state/country, and you're given a topic that relates to the Australian constitution to discuss. E.g. state/federal separation of powers, the responsibility for education in a federation, Indigenous constitutional recognition, etc. It's a bit of fun and you meet tons of great people :) soak it up and hopefully you get to experience the National convention!
Yeah, i'm pretty keen, it's gon be gud
I know that like 20 people get selected for the national - do you know how they get picked? The note wasn't really that clear on that matter.

Simorgh

HSC
Sounds pretty interesting.

How do people get selected for it?

HSC
Sounds pretty interesting.

How do people get selected for it?
You get selected for the state one at your principal/year advisor's discretion, and then you have to prepare a short essay on a set topic (mine was Referendums and Plebiscites). The people running the convention select about 100 students to go to Sydney. I'm pretty sure that for the national one, the students vote for who gets to go, but i'm not exactly sure how that all works.

jkhoo

HSC
For me, we all got split into groups, and each group voted a few people to go to the national convention. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)