Should I drop a subject? (1 Viewer)

VapeNation

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just looking for your thoughts on something.
I am currently in HSC with 13 units: Phys, Chem, Legal, 2U maths, EXT 1 Maths, Advanced English and Engineering Studies. I'm doing incredibly well in most of them (or so I like to think ;)) and I really enjoy doing them all. However, when I simulated my atar using an atar calculator, both with my half yearly and yearly report marks, my engineering units didn't count. Not one.

I'm wondering if I should bother keeping with engineering as I feel that it's highly likely that the same thing will happen again for HSC. If the units won't count and I am confident in all my other subjects, is it worth dropping it in favour of gaining extra study time to perfect the other subjects? Is it worth losing the 'safety net' of 13 units for 11 units? I'm not too sure.

Comment your thoughts below! Thanks in advance!

Orwell

HSC
Yes, it's perfectly fine to drop a subject in order to allocate more time to subjects where you feel more comfortable.

excellence1

HSC
My main advice for you is to do what you can! If you don't need it, don't keep it :) If you need it then keep it :)
All the best with your decision making and just keep trying your best!!!

ALawrence

HSC
I am currently in HSC with 13 units: Phys, Chem, Legal, 2U maths, EXT 1 Maths, Advanced English and Engineering Studies. I'm doing incredibly well in most of them (or so I like to think ;)) and I really enjoy doing them all. However, when I simulated my atar using an atar calculator, both with my half yearly and yearly report marks, my engineering units didn't count. Not one.

I'm wondering if I should bother keeping with engineering as I feel that it's highly likely that the same thing will happen again for HSC. If the units won't count and I am confident in all my other subjects, is it worth dropping it in favour of gaining extra study time to perfect the other subjects? Is it worth losing the 'safety net' of 13 units for 11 units? I'm not too sure.

13 is a lot of units for the HSC. Over the next term, identify which subjects you do the best in and which you enjoy doing the most. If you're scoring low + don't enjoy one of them = drop that sucker. It's much better to be working equally at all of your subjects rather than to be spreading yourself thin over too many. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I dropped business studies to get down to 11 units even though I was coming 2nd in the course. I just realised with my subjects I would do a lot better having 1 less subject to worry about + more study time.

You might have already made your decision by now, but I guess for future reference or future readers, there's no problem in dropping units even if you're performing well if you think that by doing it you can perform better overall.

ALawrence

HSC

did your engineering marks not count b/c only the best 12 units count and you have to include English? if the units won't count and you're working hard and doing well in your other subjects, and will do extremely well in them and not let them fall by the wayside, then maybe it's a good idea to stick to 11 units...it's less stress, and you have some really content-heavy subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)