10 or 12 units? drop CFS? (1 Viewer)

L_Chan

HSC
Hey guys
my mentality is so stressed right now as i don't know if i should drop a subject or not..
In CFS i have the potential to get rank 1st or 2nd but my average is a 75%, i don't find the subject stressful but just boring as its like me trying to explain common sense. the reason why i get 75% is because i struggle to 'answer the question' and my language is sometimes off.

My other subjects are:

Design and Technology: 1/22- 88%
Business Studies- 1/24 , 85%
English Advance- 4/9- 75%
Mathematics Extension 1: 5/11 72%
Society and Culture 3/38, 88%
Community and Family Studies: 3/23- 75%

*currently there is only 4 students in eng adv and some people are also dropping design and technology, but im confident that my rank will be the same, for eng adv, i may be 4/4 or 3/4 in eng adv as there is only 4 students in the class*

*I'm also going to drop down 3unit maths to 2unit as its easier for me that way and i just need to do many practice papers*

I have 2 majors, PIP AND MDP, if i drop CFS, I'll have more time on my majors. but then i wont have a back up which is something im afraid. I honestly am not enjoying the content in CFS as its all common sense and stuff you learn in life but its a subject i can get a high rank in at least even tho my average will be terrible.

pls help ;(

chiefpasco

HSC
You are in a predicament. But I will give you my story which I think is similar to yours.

Coming into Year 12 I was doing 14 Units: Adv English, English Ext 1, English Ext 2, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology.

I was getting very good marks in all my subjects except Mathematics. I decided to drop Chemistry which I ended prelim with raw marks in 70% range because I thought they were terrible marks and I could be using the free time to fix my math. Two things then happened:

1) I spent my free periods messing around with mates and not actually studying.
2) Did not fix my math and bummed out hard in ADV, dropping from 2nd to 5th cos I got complacent with my free time.

If I could go back, I would never have dropped such a high scaling subject as Chem - especially now finding out my raws would have aligned to the 80s. So basically, what I'm telling you, use your study periods wisely and there is no reason why you cannot learn the bostes glossary over the next 12 months. I had the exact problem with Biology - I knew the answer but could never attain full marks because I did not answered the directive verb. Literally took me a week and a few past papers to grasp it - you could to the same with CAFs. You'd need to romp that, business and DT to get a decent Atar though.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait till after the first assessment block is over, and you can your results then reconsider.

Also look at how previous cohorts have performed (see topscores )

STUDENT K

HSC
Ultimately, you need to decide whether having a 'back-up' subject, or having more free time to concentrate on other subjects is more important to you. If you are not too sure, I think that waiting until the end of this term when you have received all your assessment marks would be a smart option. That way, you can look at all of your marks and be certain that you drop the right subject, not a subject that you find out later, you actually should have kept. This will reduce the chance of you regretting your decision even if it means a little bit more work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)