Angry at myself for procrastinating (1 Viewer)

luo_ge

HSC
Hi Guys,

I often procrastinate each night after school which means i only get my homework done around 10pm and I do probably 1 hour of study and sleep.

In the morning after this, I wake up very angry at myself and take my angry out on others (parents, siblings, friends etc.)

I just wanted some advice on how to stop procrastinating so much because I feel like it's holding me back a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Simorgh

HSC
Hi Guys,

I often procrastinate each night after school which means i only get my homework done around 10pm and I do probably 1 hour of study and sleep.

In the morning after this, I wake up very angry at myself and take my angry out on others (parents, siblings, friends etc.)

I just wanted some advice on how to stop procrastinating so much because I feel like it's holding me back a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Get yourself checked out with your doctor or padeatrician. From what you have mentioned I think you might have ADD or ADHD, getting angry at yourself or your family and not able to be focus on your tasks and duties are usual behaviours of this sort of condition. They have prescription pills which can release dophamine in your brain and its helps you to focus not just in your studies on everything you do. Also helps in memory retention and organising tasksproperly in your head. The pills have little or no other bad side effects. I know this because my family friend is on it and it has worked for him quite well.

Also you need to sleep early. There is no point studying past 10 and then going to bed late, lot of what you have studied would not remain in your head. You need to break this cycle and fix this habit of yours. Sleeping late doesnt give your mind appropriate rest and can work against you. It doesn't make you focus in school and makes you feel sleepy when you come home because you havent been having adequate sleep. Sleeping is good for your brain and memory, so get at least 7-9 hours of sleep. Highly recommend.

For procatination you need to really control yourself and avoid using your computer, give to someone you can trust like your Mum or Dad to watch over or keep it as far away from youself. Set yourself on certain task, stick to it and remain consistent. Make a study timetable at least.

Last edited:

Simorgh

HSC
I highly suggest you read this site. Your symptons might match people who have ADD or ADHD, theres nothing at all embarassing about it. If you do happen to have ADHD or ADD keep this to yourself and amongst your family, it does not mean you lack intelligence. Many people like Bill Gates and Albert Einstein have had ADHD once in their life.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/add-adhd/adult-adhd-attention-deficit-disorder.htm

What I have picked out for you.

Relationship problems. The symptoms of ADHD can put a strain on your work, love, and family relationships. You may be fed up with constant nagging from loved ones to tidy up, listen more closely, or get organized. Those close to you, on the other hand, may feel hurt and resentful over your perceived “irresponsibility” or “insensitivity.”

The wide-reaching effects of ADHD can lead to embarrassment, frustration, hopelessness, disappointment, and loss of confidence. You may feel like you’ll never be able to get your life under control. That’s why a diagnosis of adult ADHD can be an enormous source of relief and hope. It helps you understand what you’re up against for the first time and realize that you’re not to blame. The difficulties you’ve had are symptoms of attention deficit disorder—not the result of personal weakness or a character flaw.
Work and financial difficulties. Adults with ADHD often experience career difficulties and feel a strong sense of underachievement. You may have trouble keeping a job, following corporate rules, meeting deadlines, and sticking to a 9-to-5 routine. Managing finances may also be a problem: you may struggle with unpaid bills, lost paperwork, late fees, or debt due to impulsive spending.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Get yourself checked out with your doctor or padeatrician. From what you have mentioned I think you might have ADD or ADHD, getting angry at yourself or your family and not able to be focus on your tasks and duties are usual behaviours of this sort of condition. They have prescription pills which can release dophamine in your brain and its helps you to focus not just in your studies on everything you do. Also has helps in memory retention and organising properly tasks in your head. The pills have little or no other bad side effects. I know this because my family friend is on it and it has worked for him quite well.
Dude. I don't believe that you intended it this way but when I read all of what you said the tone felt way more harsh and commanding than helpful. No matter how correct your suspicions are you should never call someone out for a mental disorder.

Flop21

HSC
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.
You just have to do it. You have to force yourself. There's no trick. But there is a trick after you force yourself... it becomes easier each time. Eventually you're doing it every night (consistency is key).

And stop being an ass and being angry at others. Just deal with it, accept it and move on. There's no need to be angry at anyone, not even yourself.

Simorgh

HSC
Dude. I don't believe that you intended it this way but when I read all of what you said the tone felt way more harsh and commanding than helpful. No matter how correct your suspicions are you should never call someone out for a mental disorder.
It would have been wrong of me if I didn't. I thought it was in the best interests of OP if I mentioned it or otherwise I would have felt a sense of guilt.

I never intended to sound harsh and commanding however I understand your point. If I had said this instead in person it would wouldn't have come out the same way, my speaking tone would have been much more softer and in understanding with OP.

Hopefully OP will not misunderstand me. I never assumed he has ADHD or ADD, however he might have according to what his told us. So I have suggested him to first get checked up with his GP or Paeditrician. Hopefully he can take my advice if he wants.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Well OP didn't say anything about concentrating. It's the sitting down and getting started part that seems to be his problem. If he was sitting down and then getting distracted, then yeah possibly ADD.

I think most people have a procrastination issue lol.

It's a VERY important skill to smash through it though.

Simorgh

HSC
Well OP didn't say anything about concentrating. It's the sitting down and getting started part that seems to be his problem. If he was sitting down and then getting distracted, then yeah possibly ADD.

I think most people have a procrastination issue lol.

It's a VERY important skill to smash through it though.
Yes you may be right. I was planning to not even post about this, then thought its in the best interests of OP if I did.

Procastinating is a common issue among young people and can be due to various factors. But then getting angry at others like friends, siblings and the ones close to you as OP has clearly mentioned is quite unusual. As OP mentioned he gets very little sleep. This is what people who suffer from ADD and ADHD have and sad fact is lot of people due to the stigma around ADHD and ADD don't get checked to see if they have it. It instead hurts them more than anyone else not knowing that they have such mental health conditions, even more fortunate for them is the fact that nowadays there is so much support and even cures available for them. There needs to be more awareness out there for such ailments.

They struggle to organise and set tasks in their minds, as a result they find it hard to focus and concentrate and lack time management skills plus struggle to control their emotions and behaviour at times. The pills which are given to them to help release dophamine in the brain and in most cases those traits and behaviours can go away after some time. After that the pills can be discontinued.

However I do not know enough about OP or am a Doctor to come to such a conclusion. I recommend to see some health practitioner to see whether this is the case, better now than never. It will help him in his HSC, even when he goes Uni and for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

-Senpai

HSC
I'm really sleepy so my apologies if this doesn't make sense, but from a former procrastinator I give you the following advice.

Forcing yourself isn't going to do you any good as you're probably going burn yourself out at an early stage or cause unnecessary stress.

A little bit of procrastination is good once in a while, but like anything else it can be detrimental if overdone.

I've met plenty of people who have engaged in procrastination to the same extent (sometimes worse) as you.

In terms of the procrastination, you need to start setting yourself small goals and move on from there. For instance, when you get home probably spend 1 - 2 hours relaxing on social media, watching tv, etc. After that try doing 30 minutes of work and then take a 15 minute break (During this period make sure that your in quiet space, your phone notifications are turned off, etc.). Continue this for the rest of the night (excluding the time you leave for dinner). What most people notice after going on this routine is that the ratio of time spent studying to time spent relaxing will improve, meaning that procrastination will be less of an issue.

Another thing is that studying alone may not be your preferred method of study. Have you tried study groups, and if so, did you find it more engaging than studying alone? - It may also be the case that you're an extroverted person (i.e. The true definition (not the bullshit they teach you in high school) being that you gain a type of "energy" or "liveliness" from being around others). I'm an introvert so I kind of experienced the opposite in that I found being around people energetically taxing so I preferred studying alone.

It would be great if you could provide further information such as:

1) What do you normally do once you head home? Is it looking up dank memes, skyping with mates, etc. - If you can provide the specifics then we can give you advice on how to regulate the time you allocate towards these activities.

2) In respect to lashing out at others, is there something that they say that triggers you to react in the way you do? For instance, do they constantly ask (nag) you whether you've prepared for an upcoming exam, etc.?

Cindy Lou

HSC
Oh my goodness I'm not the only one! Totally relate, except as well as procrastinating, I often set myself goals for the evening or week etc. to do but never get them done so I feel really guilt about it, get angry at myself and then do no work and procrastinate with bitterness. It really sucks. And sometimes you feel as if you just can't focus or the afternoon passes and you just somehow get nothing done even though you're trying to study. Whilst I haven't solved this issue yet myself, I'm going to try out studying with a friend I don't get distracted with. Also studying in front of parents or siblings (as long as they don't distract you) might help because they can usually see when you're procrastinating.

No Study

HSC
Oh my goodness I'm not the only one! Totally relate, except as well as procrastinating, I often set myself goals for the evening or week etc. to do but never get them done so I feel really guilt about it, get angry at myself and then do no work and procrastinate with bitterness. It really sucks. And sometimes you feel as if you just can't focus or the afternoon passes and you just somehow get nothing done even though you're trying to study. Whilst I haven't solved this issue yet myself, I'm going to try out studying with a friend I don't get distracted with. Also studying in front of parents or siblings (as long as they don't distract you) might help because they can usually see when you're procrastinating.
I find motivational videos to be a short term drive for studying. You have to find the type of videos that suit you though. Also I get really FUCKING TRIGGERED when I think about what happens if I don't study, if people beat me, do I have something to prove to myself and the world? It just really fucking gets to me when I think about it in that way cause like it's not even about studying for HSC or uni it's do you want those losers to beat you? You know inside that you're better than them, YOU'RE THE BEST. Maybe a little too egotistical ehh, but whatever works right?

You don't need to watch the video, sound in background is great for studying! This one is a pretty strong first one imo.

Mosski

HSC
OP, I'm in a similar situation but I don't take my anger out on others I just keep it inside and feel ashamed of myself. I tell myself in the morning or while I'm at school what I'm going to do in the afternoon regarding studying or assignments but for some reason I just don't do it.

STUDENT K

HSC
I am procrastinating right now :) hahah (from a chemistry prac), i just procrastinate when i am working on something I didn't really understand in class, so I put it off again and again because I tell myself it's too hard. Then the night before, I will finally begin working on it and figure out that it isn't really too bad, but end up going to sleep really late to finish it off. Oh well, time to do my chem. If i get it done today i can hand it in early :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)