Preliminary Exams, VERY POOR (1 Viewer)

tloos

HSC
I am normally a 80-90 student when I work hard.
Didn't work overly hard for my preliminary exams, got :
Religion 2 Unit: 70%
Maths: 23%
Physics : 31%
Biology: 70%
English Advanced: 60%
PDH: 62%

I know I can do very well when I want too, but I haven't been able to focus nor get any momentum. 90 plus atar is the goal, and realistic but with these preliminary marks I am worried. Any advice or feedback? Can I still get this atar or is is done.

sourmilk

HSC
Preliminary Exams mean nothing. Once HSC hits, all ranks reset and it's a fair playing field. YOU CAN GET A 90 ATAR AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!

Some tips and feedback

- Reconsider Physics and Maths. It doesn't matter if you need it for University because reality is, the course you need for the subjects probably requires a high atar and for you to jeopardise it because you /need/ these subjects isn't smart. You need to work smart and do subjects that can give you the highest atar possible.

- Biology and PDHPE requires rote learning, so look into syllabus summaries in your free time and try and naturally learn some of the dot points. Not only would you be ahead of class - but it'll have you have to cram less

- In reference to point 2, look at HSC Physics syllabus summary and see if you'd enjoy the HSC course. There are obviously courses our there that have a poisonous Prelim syllabus but HSC is completely fine.

- I believe you can work hard, and just remember that if you screw up in term 1 YOU STILL CAN GET A GOOD ATAR.

jessiebear

HSC
If you need help with procrastination, I suggest downloading
SELF CONTROL (mac download)
COLD TURKEY (pc download)

All you have to do is put in the websites that distract you, like YouTube for example, and then BOOM you won't be able to access those websites. You can choose how long to lock the websites for and then after that time you can access them again.

What helps me is just to focus on what you can do. Don't stress about assignments you haven't been given yet. Just do the best you can on each assignment as they come. Breaking work down in chunks also helps

GOOD LUCK :awesome:

No Study

HSC
Do not worry, this is the best time to get the worst results. You now know it's within your best interests and that you must put in to take out, put in work to perform!

tazmim

HSC
dude i highly suggest putting some effort into physics and maths. on contrary to zoink's statement - you dont have to study harder, study smarter. im a professional bludger and year 11 was also a bad year for me but devoting a little time for maths really helped me, loads. i do most of my maths works in a saturday afternoon, from 12pm-2:50pm and i bludge the entire day afterwards or not do maths after it. understanding the very basics should land you a 50-60% (dependding how hard ur school makes ur exams). I recommend u do this for Physics as well ( i shouldve done it, kept getting averagey marks / Bs, other than the finas that was a hardcore C )

if you have anyone thatll watch over you and make sure u dont get distracted, use them

jacintter

HSC
honestly prelim means no shit. ranks change during hsc.
I know this girl from my school topped prelim and her ranks we're all top 10 but when hsc came i got higher than her in ranking and during this time of the year the 'not bothered' people begin to change. I remember that i barely passed 2Unit maths exam and during prelim i scored a whopping 35% with rank 64/72 but during hsc i began lifting my game up and my final rank is 12/63.

Prelims don't define who you are, if you work hard it will definitely pay off! trust me
Although you may feel 'not motivated' with your prelim marks, just to let you know i failed prelim really bad... here we're my prelim marks that i remembered
english: 51%
maths: 35%
chemisty: 48%
biology: 23%
physics:53%
modern: 72%

although my bio mark was really bad, i still kept it and from rank 43/56 in prelims to rank 18/50 during hsc. I dropped chemisty instead hhahaa

Remember: PRELIMS DON'T DEFINE YOUR HSC!
gooodluckkk

ALawrence

HSC
prelim is not important at this stage. you can definitely go far and get a 90+ atar if you study smart and make sure you are diligent. make sure to use all the resources available to you, incl. new textbooks. good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
No one can give you motivation, ultimately its up to you to decide whether your passion for accounting is enough to make you work pretty hard for a year and a bit. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Am I willing to do this?" Btw you can get into most courses by alternative pathways but it is a lot quicker/easier to just get in straight up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)