Will maths pull me down? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Can I still get a 95+ atar? I did really bad in my maths assessment this term and i think it will really pull me down.

Marks:
3u: 64%
4u: 59%
Physics: 94%
Bio: 94%
PDHPE: 100%
English: Havent received marks back

I am probs ranked like ~10 for 3u and like 3rd for 4u

I go to a ~350 ranked school ranked 1st in everything except maths and english. What are my chances of 95+ atar?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not gonna lie at the current stage yes it may affect your atar, but you can always improve. I was ranked around 8/18 (well it was still good because the school is ranked 4th in maths), but in exams I was getting around 56/70. I worked extremely hard and did around 50 past papers for 3 unit and ended up getting 67/70 in the cssa and did well in the next trial getting 65/70, as well as improving my rank to 3/18 (even though the class had 7 4 unit kids). You're gonna have to put in a lot of work, but just give some consideration to changing courses to 2 unit maths as getting a band 6 there will be better than getting a low mark in 4 unit, and would also give you more time to focus on improving 3 unit maths. But I am proof of hard work and persistence paying off as my atar aim from year 11 of 95+, soon became a 97+, then a 99+ and finally a 99.5+. So just do the hard work this holidays and you will improve and get that atar you want.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Can I still get a 95+ atar? I did really bad in my maths assessment this term and i think it will really pull me down.

Marks:
3u: 64%
4u: 59%
Physics: 94%
Bio: 94%
PDHPE: 100%
English: Havent received marks back

I am probs ranked like ~10 for 3u and like 3rd for 4u

I go to a ~350 ranked school ranked 1st in everything except maths and english. What are my chances of 95+ atar?
tbh I think what matters most is your final rank as opposed to what mark you actually get. I mean even though you're not first for maths and english, you can redeem that rank by putting in more effort and reevaluating the way you study (e.g. if you studied everything as opposed to what you were weak at) and hopefully work your way up to first

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I'm not gonna lie at the current stage yes it may affect your atar, but you can always improve. I was ranked around 8/18 (well it was still good because the school is ranked 4th in maths), but in exams I was getting around 56/70. I worked extremely hard and did around 50 past papers for 3 unit and ended up getting 67/70 in the cssa and did well in the next trial getting 65/70, as well as improving my rank to 3/18 (even though the class had 7 4 unit kids). You're gonna have to put in a lot of work, but just give some consideration to changing courses to 2 unit maths as getting a band 6 there will be better than getting a low mark in 4 unit, and would also give you more time to focus on improving 3 unit maths. But I am proof of hard work and persistence paying off as my atar aim from year 11 of 95+, soon became a 97+, then a 99+ and finally a 99.5+. So just do the hard work this holidays and you will improve and get that atar you want.
Yeah I really am gonna work these holidays to pull back..and a sense of assurance for me..the assessment was 20% weighting so there is still time to catch up. Last year there were 7 e4 for 3u and year before 6..but I am still way off the e4 range. I definitely wanna keep 4u..the scaling is worth it.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I really am gonna work these holidays to pull back..and a sense of assurance for me..the assessment was 20% weighting so there is still time to catch up. Last year there were 7 e4 for 3u and year before 6..but I am still way off the e4 range. I definitely wanna keep 4u..the scaling is worth it.
Oh alright yeah just make sure you work hard and you should be fine because if you doing well in all those other subjects I think you have a very big potential to improve

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Oh alright yeah just make sure you work hard and you should be fine because if you doing well in all those other subjects I think you have a very big potential to improve
Working hard is important. Working smart is even more important. Work with someone, maybe a classmate, who is better than you at maths.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Working hard is important. Working smart is even more important. Work with someone, maybe a classmate, who is better than you at maths.
Yeah that's actually a really good idea. A lot of my friends who asked me a lot of questions improved a lot like a guy went from expecting a low band 5 in Chemistry and mid band 5 in physics to getting a 89 hsc mark and 90 hsc mark respectively. But i think for maths it doesn't apply entirely the same as other subjects, because I know from personal experience that sometimes you just have to struggle with certain areas of the course and keep trying until you get more familiar with it, but asking a top student for their thought process in answering hard questions is good.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
The person coming 1st for both..how can I say it..not very helpful lol and others are kinda clustered around the same mark as me..but yeah defs need to get someone to work with..maybe a mate from different school.

sida1049

HSC
Due to the scaling of the two courses, and though it's a little too early to tell, but if you consistently get those marks, MX1 will likely pull your ATAR towards 95 while MX2 will probably pull your ATAR towards 97-98. I'd recommend you to keep Extension 2. Of course, if you are doing exceedingly well in your other subjects, then the overall effect of MX1 and MX2 may be that they drag your ATAR down towards the 95-98 range, but it's too early to tell. Especially since you've only gone through the first quarter of the HSC, where assessments are typically easier and thus non-representative of how you will perform in them later. Good luck.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The best course of action is to fix your 3U and 4u during this long break. After that you'll have little time to repair your maths. You need someone very experienced and knowledgeable to look at how you are approaching your maths, and to advise how best to fix your problem.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Do you not do your 2U assessment tasks at all?

si2136

HSC
N/A
we do..but I am defs not dropping to 3u/2u
59% in 4U is a lot better than 88% in 2U, just work on your 4U over the holidays, do past papers and you'll be fine bro. If you drop below 50% though, I recommend you to think about it carefully.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
59% in 4U is a lot better than 88% in 2U, just work on your 4U over the holidays, do past papers and you'll be fine bro. If you drop below 50% though, I recommend you to think about it carefully.
59% will be the lowest! I will work my ass off to improve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)