Whats everyone doing in the holidays? (1 Viewer)

tlv6554

HSC
How many hours a day should I be studying? Do you guys recommend spending time getting ahead on notes or spend time revising what we've already done?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Get ahead but not too much
Consolidate information you've learn previously
Read English texts in advanced if you want
Relax.

Simorgh

HSC
Sleeping, Sleeping and more Sleeping!

Yeah so started catching up on a lot of things and stuff I don't understand much in all my subjects. After that plan to read through my perscribed texts for the Modules, write up some drafts and write up a few creatives to send to my teacher (my last one was crap got 12/15). Then will speed myself through Chem and Phys. Then Write up all my notes. Finally start on some past papers and do heaps of HSC questions.

During all that plan to waste time like I do on BOS.
Make a crap ton of political statements and write up shit like I am right now! My jobs done.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Maths and Pdhpe -> gotta catch up from term 4

might read over m&g for physics (maybe) or just watch some vids on it if I cbf reading.

zocdae

HSC
Telling myself today is the day that I will start my holiday study...

that's mostly it :(

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
How many hours a day should I be studying? Do you guys recommend spending time getting ahead on notes or spend time revising what we've already done?
4-5 hours should be sufficient at this stage. It's not too much that it's going to bore you or too little that you are wasting valuable time. I recommend that you do these 4-5 hours in 1 hour blocks follow by a small break of 20-30 minutes where you can play games, look at memes or do whatever you want like watching YouTube. This is because these 1 hour blocks will make sure you are focused, but one very important thing is for any of this time to be useful you MUST be concentrated and focused

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Telling myself today is the day that I will start my holiday study...

that's mostly it :(
I see on your signature that your aim is 99+. This is no easy feat. If you want to achieve this goal you better get started now as this is probably the most useful time of year since you are not being bombarded with homework and exams like you will be in coming terms. Achieving a 99 atar is something that requires an immense amount of work i.e. Essentially if you don't go to a top 50 school, it will most likely require you to be first in every single subject and then after that you have to go to the HSC and perform. From here on whatever happens in terms of your atar depends solely on you, you can either work really hard and efficiently, or be like many people whose goals never come to fruition because they were never fully committed to these.

Simorgh

HSC
4-5 hours should be sufficient at this stage. It's not too much that it's going to bore you or too little that you are wasting valuable time. I recommend that you do these 4-5 hours in 1 hour blocks follow by a small break of 20-30 minutes where you can play games, look at memes or do whatever you want like watching YouTube. This is because these 1 hour blocks will make sure you are focused, but one very important thing is for any of this time to be useful you MUST be concentrated and focused
Within that time what should we be doing? Notes, past papers, going over content...?

I know people who study for so long and hard, yet fail to replicate their hard work in exams. Like you may have heard before it is about how smart you study not how long you study? Do you know of on any gud techniques or things we should be doing within that full hour?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Notes on biology and physics next modules (cause our school spams us with homework so better get it done now) and english essays/creative.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Within that time what should we be doing? Notes, past papers, going over content...?

I know people who study for so long and hard, yet fail to replicate their hard work in exams. Like you may have heard before it is about how smart you study not how long you study? Do you know of on any gud techniques or things we should be doing within that full hour?
In my own experience I made notes for everything I could in those Christmas holidays, this was pretty simple and easy to do for business studies, but for chemistry and physics, it could become pretty confusing trying to understand the dot points by myself, so I just did all the ones I could do, and for the rest I left them till they were covered in school. In terms of the doing questions and past papers I would recommend that you should make notes for all topics, but for what to study, only do what will be in your half yearly exam, so usually the first two topics. Try to do as many questions as you can and try to understand everything (if you can't then ask someone you know or ask the teacher when you get back to school).

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Don't assess the quality of your study periods based on the number of hours you studied. Base it on something more precise, like "things done".

Readers, be aware that this aren't the best numbers to follow, it's a guide. You'd have to figure it out yourself. Why such a long break of 20-30min? People these days are easily distracted by the internet. The longer your break, the harder it is to get focused again for study. I suggest 5-10min break.

For the bolded, it's redundent. You could have substituted it by 'to do whatever you want'. Otherwise, it seems that you're "pre-micro-managing" them on trivial things. Why did you suggest those activities? Did you think that they don't know what to do when they have free time? Frankly, these suggestions are terrible given that this generation has a very short attention span. When browsing memes, playing games or watching youtube, you can get so into it that you lose focus and waste further time. Not sure why you suggested them.

HoldingOn

HSC
Don't assess the quality of your study periods based on the number of hours you studied. Base it on something more precise, like "things done".

Readers, be aware that this aren't the best numbers to follow, it's a guide. You'd have to figure it out yourself. Why such a long break of 20-30min? People these days are easily distracted by the internet. The longer your break, the harder it is to get focused again for study. I suggest 5-10min break.

For the bolded, it's redundent. You could have substituted it by 'to do whatever you want'. Otherwise, it seems that you're "pre-micro-managing" them on trivial things. Why did you suggest those activities? Did you think that they don't know what to do when they have free time? Frankly, these suggestions are terrible given that this generation has a very short attention span. When browsing memes, playing games or watching youtube, you can get so into it that you lose focus and waste further time. Not sure why you suggested them.
His ATAR is enough to refute your post:rolleyes:.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

He said "or do whatever you want LIKE watching youtube" so he just gave suggestions based on what he did in his breaks. I guess everyone does have a different opinion on their lengths of breaks though so it's subjective.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

I suggested these things because a lot of teens like playing video games so why can't people use this as an outlet for a little bit of fun while they are studying? Doing 4-5 hours of study a day is more than sufficient at this time of the HSC. What you are suggesting with 5-10 minute breaks is studying like 8 hours a day which is too much I would say considering you have 6-7 weeks of holidays. I don't get your whole point about short attention spans and losing focus, you are just stereotyping all teenagers as being mindless and not being able to control themselves after they see a meme. If someone really cared about their atar I'm sure they would have some self control and actually get to work. That's why in my last line I said you must be focused in that 1 hour time. Is it better to do 8 hours of work with only 5 minute breaks where you become sluggish by the end of the day, or to be fully focused for 4-5 hours and still maintain your sanity and mind during those 6 weeks.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
He said "or do whatever you want LIKE watching youtube" so he just gave suggestions based on what he did in his breaks. I guess everyone does have a different opinion on their lengths of breaks though so it's subjective.
"do whatever you want like youtube", how does he know that one of the things I want to do is to watch youtube? Still, it's an unneeded suggestion. If you were suggesting an activity for someone to do while they have free time, then it means you think that they don't know what to do in their free time. Basically, you think the person has no idea what they are doing (literally) when there are no obligations.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
"do whatever you want like youtube", how does he know that one of the things I want to do is to watch youtube? Still, it's an unneeded suggestion. If you were suggesting an activity for someone to do while they have free time, then it means you think that they don't know what to do in their free time. Basically, you think the person has no idea what they are doing (literally) when there are no obligations.
Why are you getting offended because he provided an example of an activity that millions of teenagers like to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)