How's atar calculated in relation to 'bands'? (1 Viewer)

liteski

HSC
I got kinda confused as I saw on a few posts that you don't need band 6s in all subjects to get an atar of 90+. I thought that a band 6 meant that you were in the top 10% of peoples doing that subject, and therefore to get an atar of 90~ (top 10% of peoples in nsw) you would need all band 6s, how am I mistaken here? tyty

D94

HSC
N/A
I got kinda confused as I saw on a few posts that you don't need band 6s in all subjects to get an atar of 90+.
That's correct.

I thought that a band 6 meant that you were in the top 10% of peoples doing that subject,
No, a Band 6 does not mean you're in the top 10% of a subject. A performance band, i.e. Band 6, Band 5 etc., are measures against a defined standard. There is no quota or capping on how many students can achieve a Band 6.

and therefore to get an atar of 90~ (top 10% of peoples in nsw) you would need all band 6s, how am I mistaken here? tyty
An ATAR of 90 means you're in the top 10% of your Year 7 cohort, not your Year 12 cohort. In fact, an ATAR of 90 means you're in the top 16.5% of your Year 12 cohort (2016 data).

But you need to understand that the ATAR is calculated using scaled marks, not HSC marks. BOSTES gives UAC two marks - your raw HSC exam mark and your raw moderated assessment mark. These marks, which you won't receive unless you pay for it, are scaled. UAC performs scaling to ensure one set of subjects can be fairly compared to another set of subjects. This has no correlation to Band 6s.

liteski

HSC
That's correct.

No, a Band 6 does not mean you're in the top 10% of a subject. A performance band, i.e. Band 6, Band 5 etc., are measures against a defined standard. There is no quota or capping on how many students can achieve a Band 6.

An ATAR of 90 means you're in the top 10% of your Year 7 cohort, not your Year 12 cohort. In fact, an ATAR of 90 means you're in the top 16.5% of your Year 12 cohort (2016 data).

But you need to understand that the ATAR is calculated using scaled marks, not HSC marks. BOSTES gives UAC two marks - your raw HSC exam mark and your raw moderated assessment mark. These marks, which you won't receive unless you pay for it, are scaled. UAC performs scaling to ensure one set of subjects can be fairly compared to another set of subjects. This has no correlation to Band 6s.
Ur a babe, this makes sense thank you :)

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)