How much should I do in the holidays? (1 Viewer)

egal

HSC
sooo, my school has half yearlies pretty early (week 6)

and i'm not sure how much I should do in the holidays..

I've already
-read all my english texts
-done a creative for discovery
-I've started one for e1 english that can be used in a simpler version for discovery
-written up economics study notes
-(I'm going to maths things for a week later on in January)
-a practice paper for french

subs- 3u english, 3u maths, eco, french, (resitting accelerated ancient)

Things I'll definitely do:
-essay for mod a
-essay for romanticism
-some questions for topic one of eco

Things i'm debating about doing
-some practice papers for maths (probably one a fortnight for each of 3u and normal maths)
-practice papers for ancient (probably one a week I would do)
-more practice papers for french(i have a booklet of questions from my teacher)
-all topic 1 s/a questions for economics and some practice essays
-my second creative for romanticism, I have the template for it but just need to write it
- go ahead on economics content

what are your thoughts on how much I should do?
I've spent the last week primarily reading to relax and I want to keep relaxing but also don't want to get behind for next term

Thank you lovely humans :)

SuperAltastic

HSC
sooo, my school has half yearlies pretty early (week 6)

and i'm not sure how much I should do in the holidays..

I've already
-read all my english texts
-done a creative for discovery
-I've started one for e1 english that can be used in a simpler version for discovery
-written up economics study notes
-(I'm going to maths things for a week later on in January)
-a practice paper for french

subs- 3u english, 3u maths, eco, french, (resitting accelerated ancient)

Things I'll definitely do:
-essay for mod a
-essay for romanticism
-some questions for topic one of eco

Things i'm debating about doing
-some practice papers for maths (probably one a fortnight for each of 3u and normal maths)
-practice papers for ancient (probably one a week I would do)
-more practice papers for french(i have a booklet of questions from my teacher)
-all topic 1 s/a questions for economics and some practice essays
-my second creative for romanticism, I have the template for it but just need to write it
- go ahead on economics content

what are your thoughts on how much I should do?
I've spent the last week primarily reading to relax and I want to keep relaxing but also don't want to get behind for next term

Thank you lovely humans :)
WOW you have accomplished quite a lot already in these holidays and that is a good start and attitude towards the HSC. First to target your study more effectively try find out which topics are going to be assessed in the half yearly and focus on those, so you can get maximum marks and climb ranks early.
If you can't its okay just continue with what you think will be most useful in the upcoming term and assessment block since I only did economics and english in common with you so I can suggest on those.

For english I suggests start making a bank of literary techniques on a word doc with the type of technique, effect, example and a link to the rubric if you can. Also I suggests getting quotes for your texts which you have read if you do learn that way.

For economics begin collecting stats for your content as they will be useful. I also made a bank of key terms at the back of my book with good economic language I had gathered from reading various articles. Begin to make short chains of analysis in your notes or on a word doc, essays and short answers as you do them i.e. Impact of Globalisation on the environment ---> how it occurs ----> link to demand and supply of goods and services ----> link to environmental issues -----> overall impact on economic issues, as it is these analysis which will get you marks and making them part of your notes and writing early on will be a good way for incorporating them later on in the year during exams and the HSC.

Moreover I would do a lot of practice MCQ for all subjects for the content you have covered so far, as getting 20/20 in HSC MCQ is essential for getting a high band 6. Good Luck!!!!

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
You have done more work than I will probably do the whole holidays lol...current progress=nil

egal

HSC
WOW you have accomplished quite a lot already in these holidays and that is a good start and attitude towards the HSC. First to target your study more effectively try find out which topics are going to be assessed in the half yearly and focus on those, so you can get maximum marks and climb ranks early.
If you can't its okay just continue with what you think will be most useful in the upcoming term and assessment block since I only did economics and english in common with you so I can suggest on those.

For english I suggests start making a bank of literary techniques on a word doc with the type of technique, effect, example and a link to the rubric if you can. Also I suggests getting quotes for your texts which you have read if you do learn that way.

For economics begin collecting stats for your content as they will be useful. I also made a bank of key terms at the back of my book with good economic language I had gathered from reading various articles. Begin to make short chains of analysis in your notes or on a word doc, essays and short answers as you do them i.e. Impact of Globalisation on the environment ---> how it occurs ----> link to demand and supply of goods and services ----> link to environmental issues -----> overall impact on economic issues, as it is these analysis which will get you marks and making them part of your notes and writing early on will be a good way for incorporating them later on in the year during exams and the HSC.

Moreover I would do a lot of practice MCQ for all subjects for the content you have covered so far, as getting 20/20 in HSC MCQ is essential for getting a high band 6. Good Luck!!!!

Hey hey!

So for half yearlies:
Advanced English: discovery short answers, discovery creative and mod A essay (I'm pretty good with short answers and did 3 or so of those sections for practice last term)
E1 English- creative and essay
Maths is maths
French- reading, writing, listening
Economics- topics 1 and 2, same layout as HSC exam but not sure if there's one or two essays

I have a bank of literary techniques already and what types of stats do you think would be useful? Just ones relating to global and Australian economy and maybe a few interesting ones like Japanese interest rates?

I've made a crossword of key terms for topic one.

For the chain analysis, how in depth do you recommend?

I see you've done super well in economics, do you have any other tips for succeeding in Eco? I've been consistently first in prelim and For prelim yearlies I got 93 and next hightest was around 80 and average was 51, so it's important I do well externally. I have a siubscription to the economist and read the afr a few times a week.

Also, how much do you recommend writing for essays, obviously it all has to be concise for economics but as an e1 English student, I sometimes have a tendency to ramble on for as much as I can write in the time (up to about 1200 words) but what is the optimal amount?

Sorry for my millions of questions! And thank you!

SuperAltastic

HSC
Hey hey!

So for half yearlies:
Advanced English: discovery short answers, discovery creative and mod A essay (I'm pretty good with short answers and did 3 or so of those sections for practice last term)
E1 English- creative and essay
Maths is maths
French- reading, writing, listening
Economics- topics 1 and 2, same layout as HSC exam but not sure if there's one or two essays

I have a bank of literary techniques already and what types of stats do you think would be useful? Just ones relating to global and Australian economy and maybe a few interesting ones like Japanese interest rates?

I've made a crossword of key terms for topic one.

For the chain analysis, how in depth do you recommend?

I see you've done super well in economics, do you have any other tips for succeeding in Eco? I've been consistently first in prelim and For prelim yearlies I got 93 and next hightest was around 80 and average was 51, so it's important I do well externally. I have a siubscription to the economist and read the afr a few times a week.

Also, how much do you recommend writing for essays, obviously it all has to be concise for economics but as an e1 English student, I sometimes have a tendency to ramble on for as much as I can write in the time (up to about 1200 words) but what is the optimal amount?

Sorry for my millions of questions! And thank you!
For short answers I recommend you not only do them but get your teacher to mark them and get feedback as that is more essential than just doing them for practice.

In terms of statistics I highly recommend having ones that relate to the Australian economy as well as to your case study economy as they are both needed. The core stats you need include the following (for the Australian economy only for now) as you go on to learn more content you can get more to suit it.

Economic Growth Rate
Unemployment Rate
Participation Rate
Underemployment Rate
Youth Unemployment Rate
Underutilization Rate
Inflation Underlying and headline
Cash Rate
Gini Coefficient Income
Gini Coefficient Wealth
Current Account
CAD as % of GDP
BOGS
Terms of Trade
Wage Price Index
Exchange Rate

MAKE SURE YOU GET TRENDS ON THESE STATISTICS NOT JUST THE LATEST ONES

In terms of chain analysis mine was only ever a couple of chains (3-5) long like the example I gave was only 5 chains, its not meant to be extreme depth it is just meant to be quick guide you can memorise in order to strengthen your writing style for economics. In terms of essays it just depends how fast and legible you can write, most of my essays were 1300-1650 because I could write fast, however many people who wrote half of what I could in a concise manner would have got equal or even better marks. Its good that you have a subscription to the economist and afr, also I would suggest read the RBA monetary policy decisions each month as they have excellent terms which you can incorporate.

Last edited:

egal

HSC
For short answers I recommend you not only do them but get your teacher to mark them and get feedback as that is more essential than just doing them for practice.

In terms of statistics I highly recommend having ones that relate to the Australian economy as well as to your case study economy as they are both needed. The core stats you need include the following (for the Australian economy only for now) as you go on to learn more content you can get more to suit it.

Economic Growth Rate
Unemployment Rate
Participation Rate
Underemployment Rate
Youth Unemployment Rate
Underutilization Rate
Inflation Underlying and headline
Cash Rate
Gini Coefficient Income
Gini Coefficient Wealth
Current Account
CAD as % of GDP
BOGS
Terms of Trade
Wage Price Index
Exchange Rate

MAKE SURE YOU GET TRENDS ON THESE STATISTICS NOT JUST THE LATEST ONES

In terms of chain analysis mine was only ever a couple of chains (3-5) long like the example I gave was only 5 chains, its not meant to be extreme depth it is just meant to be quick guide you can memorise in order to strengthen your writing style for economics. In terms of essays it just depends how fast and legible you can write, most of my essays were 1300-1650 because I could write fast, however many people who wrote half of what I could in a concise manner would have got equal or even better marks. Its good that you have a subscription to the economist and afr, also I would suggest read the RBA monetary policy decisions each month as they have excellent terms which you can incorporate.
You are such a legend thank you! one more question, for essays in eco, do you recommend doing a fair few to practice or just planning them or finding a series of essay questions that all ask a similar thing but in different ways and having a set of a few really good essays that you can adapt to suit slightly differently worded questions?

thank you so much

SuperAltastic

HSC
You are such a legend thank you! one more question, for essays in eco, do you recommend doing a fair few to practice or just planning them or finding a series of essay questions that all ask a similar thing but in different ways and having a set of a few really good essays that you can adapt to suit slightly differently worded questions?

thank you so much
My tip with essays is:
1. Make sure you make plans for ever HSC essay from 2000 onwards as I did that and it helped. Also I made plans for each trial question that I got our school had 3 trials so there were a lot to do.

2. Practice one essay and one short answer section a week under timed conditions once you complete the course. Until you don't complete the course just do one essays week on the topics you have covered and keep doing short answers as many as you can also get everything marked. If you don't get it marked the paper is just paper and has no value.

3. Never try memorising essays or plans just use them for revision, after doing many essays it will be second nature for you so there will be no need to memorise.

4.. Always try intertwine data they give with essays they add depth and allowing you to aim for the higher marks in the band 6 range.

On a side note - As always keep practicing MCQ's.

egal

HSC
My tip with essays is:
1. Make sure you make plans for ever HSC essay from 2000 onwards as I did that and it helped. Also I made plans for each trial question that I got our school had 3 trials so there were a lot to do.

2. Practice one essay and one short answer section a week under timed conditions once you complete the course. Until you don't complete the course just do one essays week on the topics you have covered and keep doing short answers as many as you can also get everything marked. If you don't get it marked the paper is just paper and has no value.

3. Never try memorising essays or plans just use them for revision, after doing many essays it will be second nature for you so there will be no need to memorise.

4.. Always try intertwine data they give with essays they add depth and allowing you to aim for the higher marks in the band 6 range.

On a side note - As always keep practicing MCQ's.
jesus 3 trials??? wasnt that ridiculously stressful??

yeah our teacher's made us practice multiple choice and short answer booklets by topic that have all hsc questions for MCQ's and short answers from about 2000-2015.

what are your thoughts on incorporating stats into short answers?
thank you!!

SuperAltastic

HSC

yeah our teacher's made us practice multiple choice and short answer booklets by topic that have all hsc questions for MCQ's and short answers from about 2000-2015.

thank you!!
In corporating statistics and diagrams is essential in the short answer section but only when it is relevant. There is no point just putting them there for the sake of it. I did use them and they did add to my responses and differentiate them from the others in my cohort.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

thank you!!
3 trials was great for maths, gave more chance to improve ranking because the exams got harder over time. It gives more practice for the HSC but yeah it does require lots of studying.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For economics I recommend that you check RBA's Snapshot Stats and memorise up to date statistics

Last edited:

egal

HSC
3 trials was great for maths, gave more chance to improve ranking because the exams got harder over time. It gives more practice for the HSC but yeah it does require lots of studying.
3 trials would be so rough though, especially for essay/content heavy subjects. But i suppose it would help with drilling the course into your head..

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
3 trials would be so rough though, especially for essay/content heavy subjects. But i suppose it would help with drilling the course into your head..
But by hsc time..it will be so much easier to remember again as its stuck in your memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)