History Extension - Current Progress (1 Viewer)

flashguts321

HSC
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone's up to in their History Extension major work and logbook. Asking as I haven't really done much at all and I feel the course is really disorganised.

As a result, I am weighing up whether to drop the subject but wondering where everyone else is at.

Thanks in advance :)

egal

HSC
I don't do the course, but I have a few friends that do it and a few that did it last year. At our school the major work was something like 2600 words so not a whole lot. I'm not sure if it's the same at your school but at mine there is a fair bit of class time to work on it. Most of the people I know who did ext. history spent most of the year researching then about the last 2 months of the course writing/editing it.

I think Ext. history and Ext. 2 english have a lot of freedom in the course and not much guidance so in turn, less organisation which can be a bit scary. I dropped Ext. 2 english because i didnt want to do the major work and also found it a little too disorganised.

If you enjoy the content you did and are excited about your major work, I'd recommend keeping it as that will help you do well in the course.

flashguts321

HSC
Ok thanks for the info. I'm still struggling to figure out exactly what I want my major work to focus on, which is stressing me out. I'll just continue researching I guess for the time being.

egal

HSC
Yeah definitely, and even if you drop, that research will help with modern and/or ancient!

Yaris

HSC
I do extension currently and ive only just started my research (even though my teacher reckons we should have ALL research done by the end of the holidays). I don't think the course is disorganised in general, it really depends on who your teacher is. For example, our teacher basically has the whole year planned out on a doc and we already have all our deadlines e.g. week 1 we have the synopsis and bibliography due. dont worry too much about your progress, I feel everyone (that Ive talked to) has barely started too.

HSC
As someone who very much liked and enjoyed the History Extension course, let me just say that HX absolutely requires *A LOT* of independent research. So, when you feel like the course is very disorganised, you would be entirely right; it's purposely designed to be so. Essentially, you will need to find the will and motivation to get going with your own self-directed study and research. Of course, a halfway decent teacher will give you valuable input and help steer the direction of your thesis, but most major decisions in the project will be determined by you. You alone. This obviously isn't for everyone and takes a certain type of personality to undertake. IMHO though, the key to success is passion. If you have a passion for history, you will do well and find it rewarding, despite the lack of direction.

OP, forgive me if this seems forward but it appears to me that you maybe slightly worried about falling behind with your thesis. I wouldn't be concerned. From what I've read, the fact that you're even asking about this on an online forum this early in the piece, tells me that you are a dedicated enough person to excel in the course. Hell, you're certainly more organised than I ever was at this point; I didn't even properly start my project until February and even then, hardly any major work was done until a month before it was due.

You'll do fine! Just keep at it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)