How much does the first term of HSC define your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Abscynthe

HSC
At the end of the last term in 2016 I blindly messed up my 3U Math, Physics Practical Exam and 2 English Advanced assessments. Compared to other students at my school I'd say I'm around middle - the second last quintile in terms of ranking [a selective school].

Given this, how high do you think my possible ATAR/HSC Performance 3 terms from now could be, assuming I pushed myself to rank 30/170 and above for all my subjects and did well in both Trials and HSC?

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
The first term is important, but there is SO MANY assessments and weighting left to be completed so just see these results as motivation to study harder and smash out the next assessments. Improve your rank and you can get a high ATAR by doing well in the external exam to boost up your overall mark.

HSC
Look OP, I'm not going to lie to you and say it doesn't matter at all, that would be ridiculously disingenuous of me. On the other hand though, the first term is certainly indispensable in getting a good early start. But, unless you were looking to top courses (in which case, the ship has likely set sail unfortunately), you can definitely recover and recover very strongly!

The best thing you can do now is keep trying and ace every assessment from now. Smash the Trial and the HSC out of the park and you're going to do well!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
At the end of the last term in 2016 I blindly messed up my 3U Math, Physics Practical Exam and 2 English Advanced assessments. Compared to other students at my school I'd say I'm around middle - the second last quintile in terms of ranking [a selective school].

Given this, how high do you think my possible ATAR/HSC Performance 3 terms from now could be, assuming I pushed myself to rank 30/170 and above for all my subjects and did well in both Trials and HSC?
Look there's still a chance you can do well like many others say, you just need to focus on the next few assessments and smash it from there. A lot of people who don't do well in the first internal assessments still end up getting b6 because they did well in the next few assessments. It is crucial you smash that external exam as well

aycaramba

HSC
N/A

bro i feel u
totally flunked all my term 4 tests so i think my dream of ever gettin into med is over
is it possible to still get 99.95 if my ranks are shit lol

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
bro i feel u
totally flunked all my term 4 tests so i think my dream of ever gettin into med is over
dw just move on

You can redeem your rank and smash the external

Many people who flunked first internals end up smashing the HSC and get b6

Also you realise you could apply for UNSW med as well (doesnt require 99.95 though)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
bro i feel u
UWS med only requires like 93.5 or so (GWS applicants) or around 95.5 for non-GWS so you could always go there. One guy got into newcastle this year with 99.3 ATAR so just try your best

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Dw bro..HSC is all about persistence so don't give up until your hsc is finished..Just keep working hard and look towards the future which is what really matters..rekindling your bad marks will do you no good. There is still a long way to go in the year and if you set your mind to it you can improve and achieve your goals :D

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I got 65% in my first term english assessment, ranked 41/50.
I finished coming 3rd in cohort and a 94 hsc mark with a g atar.

Anything is possible bro, it's all about believing and giving it your all. Good luck

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Anything is possible bro, it's all about believing and giving it your all. Good luck
Holy shit, always knew you were a beast, congrats

Mind telling me your ATAR and how u went in all your other subs?

ad_321

HSC
If you go to a competitive school, catching up after falling behind after term 4 can be incredibly tough.

In my situation, I was probably ranked around 8-10 in most subjects and despite going well from there on, I couldn't really get better then a 4-6 rank in most of my subjects which ultimately cost me higher assessment marks.

So I'd say its important, but defs not impossible to catch up.

ALawrence

HSC

It's okay, try not to stress, you'll be fine. HSC is about long-term preparation and long-term hard work. Your ultimate results aren't settled until the final exams

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowflek

HSC

That just motivates me! Thank you!

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
It doesn't.

I did horribly in my first round of assessments (bottom 50-75% of every class). I turned it around in the following exams and was topping most of my subjects by the end of the year.

Snowflek

HSC
It doesn't.

I did horribly in my first round of assessments (bottom 50-75% of every class). I turned it around in the following exams and was topping most of my subjects by the end of the year.
Wow, so you really stuffed up your first assessments but then turned it around to topping nearly all of em! Thats amazing, motivation for me right there!
Also may i ask, around what ranking was your school when you did your hsc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)