Does prelim knowledge get tested in HSC exams? (1 Viewer)

sarkar_as

HSC
I know maths gets both prelim and HSC tested but what about subjects like economics, business studies and physics?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yes definitely. Even junior year knowledge can be tested (e.g. density formula, even though not explicitly in the HSC syllabus, can be tested).

trecex1

HSC
Only for maths. For sciences I haven't seen any questions on prelim content other than basic skills (e.g in chem: chemical equations, electron diagrams etc). Also some prelim content is relearnt anyway.

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
Also adding on for maths, 30% of the content tested can be from prelim. UP TO...they don't have to fulfill that.

andrew12678

HSC
Speaking for Physics/Chemistry, prelim content is assumed knowledge according to the syllabus but this is pretty vague. In my opinion, you can be expected to know the 'overarching' ideas of the Preliminary Course, for Phys an appropriate example would be something like momentum and impulse-if you look up the HSC papers you can see momentum being tested as a part a) of an I2I question (sorry forgot the year) but at the same time momentum is not even mentioned in the HSC Phys syllabus so therefore this is 'assumed knowledge'. For Chem, examples would be calculations with moles would be the example. But as I stated earlier they only expect you to know the 'overarching ideas' and not some obscure dot point that has no relevance eg. history of Galvani and Volta. To be 100% safe with the assumed knowledge, I do not recommend revise prelim content once HSC starts but rather put in the effort during Prelim to gain a holistic understanding so the knowledge becomes part of your long term memory-who knows you might need these broad concepts one day in Uni as well-so all in all take the Prelim subject SERIOUSLY if you want to have a no-risk HSC

egal

HSC
for eco, the content isnt directly tested but a lot of prelim stuff will be needed to understand hsc content. maths is up to 30% but if its a question of mainly prelim stuff but also 1 bit of hsc stuff, it counts as a hsc question. But a lot of it is embedded in the hsc course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)