hsc, atar and ADD? (1 Viewer)

tequilah23

HSC
So I'm 17 years old, in year 12 and currently under the pressure and stress of HSC year(yunno the usual life of a year 12'ver)
But recently I've discovered that I may have ADHD...or not.
A bit of background: I've been a very reserved, shy person since I can remember. But since the start of high school, I've developed anxiety (not officially diagnosed but you know when you know). I've had a few anxiety attack throughout last year and this year. I'm not a very expressive person(don't like talking about feelings, showing emotion, etc) and I don't particularly like attention. I've tried to see the councillor a few times but I can never bring my self to go back again because I hate the thought of being alone with just one person talking to them about yourself. I did a few times but I really disliked it, so I discontinued.

Recently, I've realised, since hard studying for exams and stuff, that it's hard for information to actually process and instill in me. Like i'll be reading a book or paragraph and I'll just "zone" out without me actually realising( due to thinking about something probably irrelevant or nothing at all) and still reading, but the information isn't being processed so that I actually understand, so i'll have to re-read it over till I get it. One definite highlight is when we're in English class reading our prescribed text. Im gonna be honest and say every book we've had to read I never really read it's entirety, because of the reason I've stated. What got me through the exams was just the parts of the books we've needed to know and techniques we'd mark together as a class.

At home, I'm forgetful of were I put things. I'll literally place something down for a bit and then when I got back to get it I don't know where I've put it.

For a long time I've just thought this kind of stuff is just me being a very forgetful person, but it's gotten to the point where it frustrates me and I don't know whether I actually have ADD or whatever, or I'm just stupid.

But don't get me wrong this isn't like a "major major" problem, I just feel like I have to work double as hard than the next person has to to actually get through and achieve the HSC results I want.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You need to attack the primary problem, obviously it is something to do with your mental health. Get yourself a diagnosis and if you don't like the counsellor you see now ask your GP to refer you to another one.

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
I feel you, I didn't get diagnosed until after my first year of uni after thinking I had anxiety. If I were you, I'd try and get an appointment with my GP as soon as possible. They will prepare a mental health action plan, which will allow you to get a couple of medicare subsidised sessions with a psychologist. The psychologist will then diagnose you (probably using DSM V) after then you may get recommended to a psychiatrist for medication (usually takes a couple of sessions).

PM me if you need any more advice/help. :)

tequilah23

HSC
Idk if my pm went through because it's saying id didn't so here's what I sent: Hi tequilah23 here. So I still haven't did anything about my situation. Today I sat my CAFS half yearly assessment, in which I'm positive I did pretty good in. However, whilst completing it, I realised that I was having to read questions over and over to articulate what it was asking, then writing my answer to which I wrote elaborately on. What I'm tryna get at is that is it possible that someone can have ADHD or ADD and still get "good grades" and do well in school? Because when I was search up symptoms and things many was saying that people with ADHD or ADD aren't able to do things like read a long page of information and not skip all the way to the bottom, or finish projects on time, all of which I am able to do(however when reading, like i said before, I always have to re-read lines to articulate their meaning). And the other reasons I stated in my original post. For this reason i am hesitant in getting tested because I don't like confrontation and talking to someone one on one about myself. So I'd prefer to be right when I go in. My first step would be to visit the school councillor... advice??

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
First step would be to go to a doctor who can appoint you an appropriate psychologist. Whether or not you have ADD is up to them, who knows you may just have something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)