help is there hope of a 95+ atar? (1 Viewer)

lisacow

HSC
N/A
Hello.

So basically I keep procrastinating and leaving my study to the night before which is terrible... I know.

So for the course, I would like to do the atar is around 95+ give and take.

I didn't do crash hot in term 4 and not that well in half yearlies.

I keep ranking in the middle for my subjects and some low average. For 2u maths which I completely fucked up with like 45-50 percents. Which is a shitty bottom ranking.

I know your ATAR is not the end of the world. I understand that but I would still like to know if I can resuscitate my atar.

I would like some solid advice if I can still hit those 90's and what strategies people have achieved that.

Help me salvage my atar!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

jong_suk

HSC
This is actually me right now. I want to cry everytime i think about it. The only thing i can say for both of us is, if you go to a good school where most people will get a good HSC mark, then you will probably get a good mark for internal too (ie band 6 or 5). But if u go to a shit school (like me), all hopes lost for 95+ unless ur ranks go up AND do well in the HSC.

Strategies:
- As a fellow procrastinator, my laptop and phone are the biggest distractions. Just turn off your phone and throw it away (give it to a parent for safe-keeping) and use an extension like "stayfocused" (if you use google chrome) to block all websites that is hazardous for you ATAR including facebook and youtube.
- I heard from the 99 atar-gettersat my school say that they had finished writing all their notes for every subject by the end of the Christmas holidays. Dunno if that's you, but if it isn't, i suggest you become a hermit and write those notes by the end of this hols. If possible.
- Practice papers are the key apparently. It's crucial that you know ur content well (hence notes), but critical that you know how to apply the knowledge practically. For example, in biology, learning the content, "define cell" will be different to an actual HSC question "So if person 1 has cell type blah and person 2 has cell type blah, if they had kids, and then that kid married her uncle's son's daughter, what is their blood type?" OR the common meme, "learn 1 + 2 in school, homework: 4*7, test: calculate the sun's mass".
- If worst comes to worse, see if you can apply for a scholarship or early entry scheme.

I find it quite ironic that i'm offering advice when i'm on the same boat as you (or maybe worse). Please forgive me. You probably wanted some more reliable answers, and i've seem to have gone off on a tangent.

I hope everything goes well with you in the future and that this post gets more useful comments,

tanyaboer

HSC
Hi! It is never too late to start aiming higher and working harder. You can definitely get the ATAR you want. However, it will not come without hard work and a genuine motivation to do well. I achieved an ATAR of 95+ last year. Here are some tips I used to achieve my ATAR:

1. Goals - why do you want such a high ATAR? If you don't know why, you won't be willing to work hard for it. Your reasons might include proving to yourself what you are capable of or getting into a university. Write down your reasons and make sure you really want it. Also, be sure you aren't aiming for the goals that you are because of parents, friends or family. You need to be doing it for YOU.

2. Notes- stay up to date!! Don't make notes in the week before your exam! Make notes as you cover syllabus points, and make your notes based on the syllabus points.

3. Past papers - past papers so important! When I started really focussing on past exam papers, my Chemistry mark went up by about 10%! Don't underestimate them.

4. Sleep- please get enough sleep. When you are tired, you won't absorb information nearly as well! You'll be in a better mood generally, and won't stop being motivated. I got 9 hours of sleep every night although I know some people can get away with less.

5. Take breaks- studying is good, but some of your most productive times will happen when you're taking a break. Try study for chunks of 1 hour, and then take a 15 minute break. Also, schedule entire "break days" for your yourself- work hard to catch up and then then take an entire day off. This will make sure that you're motivated and not stressing too much!

Good luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)