Somebody slap me (please?) (1 Viewer)

jong_suk

HSC
Hi guys! I just wanted to share a bit of my story and how anyone, ANYONE, can help. Please take a minute to read:

So I was always a great student, not the best, but somewhere up there, all from years 7 - 11. For prelims, i got pretty good ranks, and if i had them for HSC, i would be fly. BUT, ofcourse, i'm an idiot. Because i've been hardworking this whole time, I've sort of lost my motivation, and started to unconciously (now fully concious) feel like i will do well no matter what. I don't know how to explain it, i know what i have to do, but my brain just can't concentrate and I've been getting crappy results ever since year 12 started. I went from rank 2 in Legal and ancient, 7 in maths 2u, to now rank 10, 7 and 30 (respectively), and my school is ranked in the 150s. With these sorts of ranks, I'm definitely not going to achieve what my goal and i feel depressed the more think about it. I might sound like an attention seeker or something, but i promise you, the more i want to study, the opposite i'm physically doing. I can't share this with my (Asian, sorry for the stereotype) parents or they will start to pressure me even more than i can handle, and my friends just tell me that "i will be fine". I'm sorry, but what i need is a slap in the face and someone to tell me it's not going to be okay. I know, ATAR isn't everything, but i feel really disappointed in myself because what's the point of me doing so well these past 5 years if i was going to fuck it up in the final year? The stress is really hard to bear as well, so i end up watching a movie or wasting time to calm down. The problem is, it takes to long to "calm down" when really, i should be studying.

If anyone has any advice on how to manage my stress and focus, please share. I know what i have to do, and exactly how to get there, and whilst i may have already fucked up alot, there's still a chance for me to do better, BUT I'm just not taking the steps. Is there anyone else with the same problem as me? Any advice?

Or does anyone have any insults on how much of a whiny brat i am? Please do not hesitate to blurt out the worst. That will make me work harder. (I hope).

If you've reached this far, thank you.

lisacow

HSC
N/A
hey (i saw you on my post! thank you for replying haha I really appreciate it!!!)

i literally feel like we are the same person.!!!!

I USED TO DO SO WELL UP UNTIL YEAR 11. I would fly by school without studying much and end up getting A's with not much problem.

But the HSC HAS HIT and we dont have any fucking time left. fuck.

So basically i have a similar problem with you...
asian parents lol the more they beg me to study the less i want to study. i want to motivate myself.

AND I FUCKING START WATCHING RIVERDALE DURING MY HALFYEARLIES... GOOD idea lisa REAL GOOD IDEA....

But recently after receiving some marks and experiecning the aftermath i have to say i have really fucked up.

Soooooo this is the sort of mindset im trying to put myself in...

IF IM NOT GOING TO WORK HARD NOW WHEN AM I GOING TO WORK HARD?

This is a message to the both of us hahaha

Also stressing really isn't going to help much. Although i get some shitty ass marks i can handle them pretty well by using those shitty marks as way to motivate myself.

Sooo yeahhhhhh idek what i just said....

But if you would like to connect on social media and talk about this i would love toooo as i feel like are in the same boat!

jong suk? is that your real name or is that the actor hahahahah

but yeah we are going to regret it if we dont study hard now because i feel like we both know that we can do well.

lisacow

HSC
N/A
again lol i cant say much myself as i am on the same boat as you so i hope more people reply with some helpful advice

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Hi guys! I just wanted to share a bit of my story and how anyone, ANYONE, can help. Please take a minute to read:

So I was always a great student, not the best, but somewhere up there, all from years 7 - 11. For prelims, i got pretty good ranks, and if i had them for HSC, i would be fly. BUT, ofcourse, i'm an idiot. Because i've been hardworking this whole time, I've sort of lost my motivation, and started to unconciously (now fully concious) feel like i will do well no matter what. I don't know how to explain it, i know what i have to do, but my brain just can't concentrate and I've been getting crappy results ever since year 12 started. I went from rank 2 in Legal and ancient, 7 in maths 2u, to now rank 10, 7 and 30 (respectively), and my school is ranked in the 150s. With these sorts of ranks, I'm definitely not going to achieve what my goal and i feel depressed the more think about it. I might sound like an attention seeker or something, but i promise you, the more i want to study, the opposite i'm physically doing. I can't share this with my (Asian, sorry for the stereotype) parents or they will start to pressure me even more than i can handle, and my friends just tell me that "i will be fine". I'm sorry, but what i need is a slap in the face and someone to tell me it's not going to be okay. I know, ATAR isn't everything, but i feel really disappointed in myself because what's the point of me doing so well these past 5 years if i was going to fuck it up in the final year? The stress is really hard to bear as well, so i end up watching a movie or wasting time to calm down. The problem is, it takes to long to "calm down" when really, i should be studying.

If anyone has any advice on how to manage my stress and focus, please share. I know what i have to do, and exactly how to get there, and whilst i may have already fucked up alot, there's still a chance for me to do better, BUT I'm just not taking the steps. Is there anyone else with the same problem as me? Any advice?

Or does anyone have any insults on how much of a whiny brat i am? Please do not hesitate to blurt out the worst. That will make me work harder. (I hope).

Firstly I believe in this situation it is better to have a strong supporting environment than someone insult you as you have asked for in this thread. I can feel where you are coming for in terms of not realising the bad marks as yr 12 is zooming through and before you know it its gonna be finished. I have had my ups and down this year and the only thing that keeps me motivated is my desire to do physiotherapy at usyd. So you need to sit your self down in a calming/relaxing environment (park, beach backyard...etc) and think about WHAT do you want to achieve at the end of the year and then put your self in the situation where you DONT get that and embrace those feeling...the disappointment from yourself/parents and use that to your advantage as a means to work hard and not be placed in that situation. Get a paper and pen and write down firstly what you want to achieve and why you want to achieve it..then write all the things you do to achieve it and all the things you dont do in order to achieve it (study habits, routines..anything). HSC is more than just physically studying, it is also a constant psychological battle and it is very important to have the mental readiness in order to do your best but before that you need a source or motivation and to do that you need time off and think deeply WHY.

jong_suk

HSC
hey (i saw you on my post! thank you for replying haha I really appreciate it!!!)

i literally feel like we are the same person.!!!!
Absolutely no problemo! Upon reading your post, I totally felt spiritually connected! XD

Thank you for replying here too! I honestly didn't expect anyone to answer back... It kinda feels nice to be on the same boat as someone hahahaha *nervous laughter*

And you're totally right, to quote someone famous whose name i forget, "if not now, when?" Sigh. I'll try to self-motivate sa you've done as well! When i get bad marks i just get really slumped, but i'll try to use it as motivation. Up until now, i still haven't been able to open my old test papers because i have to face those marks :(

BUT YAS I GETCHU RIVERDALE, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MANGA AND K-DRAMA (so yes, Jong Suk as in the actor).

jong_suk

HSC
Firstly I believe in this situation it is better to have a strong supporting environment than someone insult you as you have asked for in this thread... HSC is more than just physically studying, it is also a constant psychological battle and it is very important to have the mental readiness in order to do your best but before that you need a source or motivation and to do that you need time off and think deeply WHY.
Firstly, thank you for the quick reply!

Now, you are absolutely right, i probably shouldn't be asking for more negativity, but sometimes i feel i need someone to shake me up hard for me to realise something. NOTE: FOR OTHER PEOPLE, please don't think like me.

And, wow, you actually put to words what i couldn't explain... HSC is a psychological battle! I know physically i can do it, but in terms of my mentality, it's just not working. Thank you, i will try and target this invisible foe instead of feeling sorry for myself next time. Furthermore, i really need to make my goal more clear (i'm still pretty unsure of what career path to take) to take proper steps towards it.

Thank you so much, your post made me realise quite alot (and hopefully, I will get a bit of your motivation? XD)!

I wish you all the best in the future, and that you achieve YOUR goal too!

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Firstly, thank you for the quick reply!

Now, you are absolutely right, i probably shouldn't be asking for more negativity, but sometimes i feel i need someone to shake me up hard for me to realise something. NOTE: FOR OTHER PEOPLE, please don't think like me.

And, wow, you actually put to words what i couldn't explain... HSC is a psychological battle! I know physically i can do it, but in terms of my mentality, it's just not working. Thank you, i will try and target this invisible foe instead of feeling sorry for myself next time. Furthermore, i really need to make my goal more clear (i'm still pretty unsure of what career path to take) to take proper steps towards it.

Thank you so much, your post made me realise quite alot (and hopefully, I will get a bit of your motivation? XD)!

I wish you all the best in the future, and that you achieve YOUR goal too!
No worries at all! :) We are all in this boat together!
If you need more help in anything or need to talk further don't hesitate to PM me, I will be willing to help you the best I can :D

jong_suk

HSC
No worries at all! :) We are all in this boat together!
If you need more help in anything or need to talk further don't hesitate to PM me, I will be willing to help you the best I can :D
Thank you so much! *sniffling*

I'm so glad i decided to post my feelings! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My simple advice to you is you have the self-discipline in you to get shit done-you just have too many distracting things go on. If you need to, cut off that internet connection-physically put aside your laptop and phone in another room and write stuff on paper so you won't be tempted to go on youtube and stuff.

To be honest, you make your own motivation story, when you get uni, no one gonna spoon fed you or even care how you do. My advice is-do you want to regret things at the end of the year where you know you could have gotten better but you didn't try, or would you rather to tell the story you tried late, but you gave it your best shot-it really depends on what story you want to tell, what kind of person you want to become and where you really want to go in the future-yes ATAR is not anything, but at the end of the day, it is still the key to the fastest entry paths to your ideal university courses. If you want to muck around for a few years and then go uni, fine by me. But I am not sure whether that is what will make yourself proud of who you are... and what you do now and how you react to this situation will have implications on how you deal with bigger challenges later on in your life. At the end of the date, I don't even think this is limited to the HSC anymore, it is what happens in life-when there is something important, you know what you need to do, yet you are stopping yourself from doing it.

If you really can't concentrate, I honestly suggest you go counselling or see a psychologist or talk to a friend-because talking to another person can take your mind of it-write and PLAN everything-and reward yourself for achieving mini steps-good luck

HSC
Yo,

In terms of motivation just remember that you won't want to regret not trying in Year 12 later down the track/that dream course or career path you want to pursue/taking advantage of the opportunities offered by education.

HSC is stressful for everyone who wants to take it seriously. I am constantly reminded of this seeing the top students at my school struggle (to some degree) as well so yeah, everyone is in a similar situation but it all depends on how you take up the challenge/attitude.

There's no point in sulking over the ranks you have currently or what you've done during term 1. You can't change the past but you can change the future the bulk of the marks still lie ahead so FIGHTINGGGGUUU1!! XD

//andyeahhscisnteverythingbutshhhhh
//feelfreetopmifyoujustwannatalklol

RG11

HSC
Hey,

Let me just start off by saying that as someone who did the HSC a few years ago (2014) and went through something similar to you are, i would say to focus on your mental health first and foremost. From what you've said about the stress being too hard to bear and having difficulty "calming down" as you put it and the significant drop in marks, it sounds like your experiencing anxiety which is overwhelming you and affecting your ability to study. Just remember depression/anxiety/mental illness is something not fully understood by alot of people i.e. they think you can use your will power to manage it, but that would be like saying to overcome measles through your mental effort (hope that analogy was clear). I would go and see a decent psychologist through a referral from your GP (its free) and tell them what your going through and if its genuinely impacting your marks/test taking ability and what you can do about it (the hsc system has procedures in place for people genuinely affected). Regarding your parents putting more pressure on you... sigh... try and remember that it's well meaning, they just dont know any better... As cliched as it sounds all you can do is try your best and see what happens from there. What helped me was instead of watching movies i listened to alot of self development material on youtube to try and manage the stress and meditation helps alot as well (google sam harris guided meditation). Ultimately there is alot more to life than academic achievement and book smarts dont translate to success and fulfilment/happiness in the real world, your attitude/mindset/thinking and drive is far more important hence why i would strongly recommend you get obsessed with self development/motivational (whatever you want to call it) material. Its paid off for me where my life is completely different to where it was when i was going through the HSC, and i have the opportunities/connections i wouldn't have believed during highschool and will be able to retire within the next 5-10 years if i want to. Im not saying this to impress but mainly to highlight that you have to be the one in control of your life and i guess to stress (no pun intended) the importance of your mindset and developing it through self development educational material (i know it sounds like im trying to force this down your throat but your mindset/resourcefulness is the most important thing and will do you the most good, the psychotherapy etc will help but ultimately i found its up to you to take responsibility/control of your life). Finally just relax and remember we're all just a fart in the wind in the cosmos of time and you'll get past this and move on to better things in life with more resilience with the challenges you've faced :)

also if you need someone to talk to im happy to be there for you (just shoot me a pm for my email if you want a quick reply cos i dont go on this site that often and anyone going through something similar is welcome to as well :)). best of luck guys!

Last edited:

jong_suk

HSC
My simple advice to you is you have the self-discipline in you to get shit done-you just have too many distracting things go on. If you need to, cut off that internet connection-physically put aside your laptop and phone in another room and write stuff on paper so you won't be tempted to go on youtube and stuff.

To be honest, you make your own motivation story, when you get uni, no one gonna spoon fed you or even care how you do. My advice is-do you want to regret things at the end of the year where you know you could have gotten better but you didn't try, or would you rather to tell the story you tried late, but you gave it your best shot-it really depends on what story you want to tell, what kind of person you want to become and where you really want to go in the future-yes ATAR is not anything, but at the end of the day, it is still the key to the fastest entry paths to your ideal university courses. If you want to muck around for a few years and then go uni, fine by me. But I am not sure whether that is what will make yourself proud of who you are... and what you do now and how you react to this situation will have implications on how you deal with bigger challenges later on in your life. At the end of the date, I don't even think this is limited to the HSC anymore, it is what happens in life-when there is something important, you know what you need to do, yet you are stopping yourself from doing it.

If you really can't concentrate, I honestly suggest you go counselling or see a psychologist or talk to a friend-because talking to another person can take your mind of it-write and PLAN everything-and reward yourself for achieving mini steps-good luck
Thank you for taking the time to reply!! Yup, self-discipline is definitely what i need. It's like once i start reading a book, i can't stop until i finish (meaning reading all the way through the night). And I know that's the same for a lot of people out there, but personally, i'm lacking in control over my desires and the want to waste time. DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A WEBSITE CALLED "IWASTESOMUCHTIME.COM"?? Well there is, and surprise, i'm usually reading through it. And you've made an important point with this being related with everything in life and in the future. I will take your advice to write things down and maybe talk to a friend (maybe we can both work together :)).

jong_suk

HSC
Yo,

In terms of motivation just remember that you won't want to regret not trying in Year 12 later down the track/that dream course or career path you want to pursue/taking advantage of the opportunities offered by education.

HSC is stressful for everyone who wants to take it seriously. I am constantly reminded of this seeing the top students at my school struggle (to some degree) as well so yeah, everyone is in a similar situation but it all depends on how you take up the challenge/attitude.

There's no point in sulking over the ranks you have currently or what you've done during term 1. You can't change the past but you can change the future the bulk of the marks still lie ahead so FIGHTINGGGGUUU1!! XD

//andyeahhscisnteverythingbutshhhhh
//feelfreetopmifyoujustwannatalklol
Hello thanks for replying! :)

Yup, I don't want to regret this at all, and its true that i shouldn't be depressed over my old marks. I should focus on the future and make the rest of my marks go well! Yeah! FIGHTING!

And i hope you do well this year too! :)

jong_suk

HSC
... it sounds like your experiencing anxiety which is overwhelming you and affecting your ability to study.
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to reply! :)

You're right, i'm actually wondering if i have anxiety, but not sure if i'm just overreacting :confused: Maybe I will have a talk to a psychologist or at least the school Counselor (idek if our school has one) to properly diagnose me (if need be). About my parents, honestly, i sigh too. I understand they're just trying to be helpful, guide me on the "right path" which they are, but their method is just wrong. Having a tiger mum and a dad that decides to "act up" after my marks come back is the most unhelpful thing ever. To all people reading this, DON'T BE THAT TYPE OF PARENT.

Now self-development material on youtube? That is new. I'll definitely have to check that out, along with meditating! I'm glad this worked out for you! "not to impress", but consider me impressed!! And true, i'm in control of my life so i should control it properly (like with a firm leash).

"remember we're all just a fart in the wind in the cosmos of time" OHMYGOODNESS this is hilarious! This really puts things into perspective :lol:

Thank you so much for all the advice, i'll definitely take it up and try to become more resilient to whatever challenges come my way. Hope everything goes well for you in the future too!

jong_suk

HSC
girl, I totally get you and it fucking sucks. I got dux in year 11 and that was a massive confident boost but now I've found myself thinking that I'm going to go well in all of my assignments and don't need to study as much but then I get my marks back and don't go as well as expected, lol. I promised myself that I would get back on track and study these holidays but they're nearly over and I still have done nothing. I've had so many mental breakdowns and just can't find the motivation either but I guess I just have to put my head down and study. Just have to get in that mindset of 'that person may be naturally smarter than me, but I will outwork them'. Sorry, this reply was prob no help at all, but it's comforting knowing I'm/you're not the only one feeling this way lol. PM if you ever need to talk :) x
HEY FAM!! Congratulations on getting dux last year!! And it sucks to hear that there is yet another on the same boat as me (i mean, it's nice to have someone similar, but sucks to be in this situation) :( Most of my confidence came from an atar estimation my teacher did from my prelim marks, and i got a 99. SO i thought, *smiling widely* "it's all smooth sailing from here". NOT.

I get those mental breakdowns too! Let's both try and do well this year and uphold our old reputation :thrust: Thank you for replying and sharing your story, and like you said, it's really comforting to know that it's not just me/us. :)

BlueFreckles

HSC
Oh my goodness you guys are all like my twins!!! I am in the exact same boat and it is so frustrating! I always did really well from Years 7-11. At the end of last year I got Dux of Year 11 and I thought "heck yeah you are going to smash Year 12 and get 99+." Haha nope. I lost all my motivation and whilst my grades for most of my subjects have stayed pretty good, my maths and English marks have suffered a lot. I keep telling myself to study but find I am not bothered and tell myself "you'll do fine anyway" which is so annoying because I don't want to do fine I want to do great. These holidays I also planned to study heaps and catch up on the homework I didn't do but I have hardly done any work at all. It is seriously the most frustrating thing ever because I know I have the potential to do so much better than I currently am. I guess we just have to get our heads down and start working real hard and find some motivation quick because trials and the HSC are going to come before we know it. I seriously don't want to get to the end of Year 12 and have massive regrets.

boredsatan

HSC

Believe in yourself, anything is possible!!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I think the main thing is just forget about year 7-11 marks because those marks are literally irrelevant to what you're going to get in year 12. It's mainly years for trying new strategies and building a work ethic.

In year 12 everyone tries their hardest (compared to previous years) and the competition defintiely builds up which you should take into account rather than saying "easy smooth sailing from here I did good in year 11", because those are not a good measure of year 12 results due to numerous factors, e.g. Subject content, much higher work ethic from everyone, people get tutoring, people study more etc.

Just dont get the confidence get to you and forget about all of the previous marks from year 7-11 just remember how you worked hard and did good, and have the mindset that if you apply the same work ethic you'll do good. Also maybe sit down for 5-10 minutes and try to motivate yourself, e.g. "If I don't work hard I'm not going to achieve my goals and I won't get the job I know I'll love" etc.

jong_suk

HSC
Oh my goodness you guys are all like my twins!!! I am in the exact same boat and it is so frustrating! I always did really well from Years 7-11. At the end of last year I got Dux of Year 11 and I thought "heck yeah you are going to smash Year 12 and get 99+." Haha nope. I lost all my motivation and whilst my grades for most of my subjects have stayed pretty good, my maths and English marks have suffered a lot. I keep telling myself to study but find I am not bothered and tell myself "you'll do fine anyway" which is so annoying because I don't want to do fine I want to do great. These holidays I also planned to study heaps and catch up on the homework I didn't do but I have hardly done any work at all. It is seriously the most frustrating thing ever because I know I have the potential to do so much better than I currently am. I guess we just have to get our heads down and start working real hard and find some motivation quick because trials and the HSC are going to come before we know it. I seriously don't want to get to the end of Year 12 and have massive regrets.
TWINSIESSSSS!!! Thank you for replying!!

Ahh, i still can't believe i'm not the only one who seems to be falling behind compared to previous years. *Phew* For me, English was always my worst subject, but every other subject was my best and i always smash Maths exams. IRONICALLY, this year, i barely passed the maths exam, and disgustingly horrible for every subject EXCEPT english, which i'm ranked in the top 5. Idek what is lyfe anymore.

I hope everything goes well for you this year!! And we should definitely put our heads down and work our butts off! Let's do this together! :)

jong_suk

HSC
Believe in yourself, anything is possible!!
Firstly, I like your name :lol:

Second, that is the best quote ever. For some reason, i got this song in my head now:

"I believe i can flyyyyyyy, i believe i can touch the skyyyyyy."

Thanks bud! :) (for the reply, not the song)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)