What are my chances in getting a 90+ atar? (1 Viewer)

dollaking

HSC
I screwed up my half yearlies pretty badly and there are only 30% worth of assessments for Physics and Chem... On top of that, the teacher told us that last year only 5 people got band 5s in Physics and Chem combined and the rest got band 3s and 4s.... What are my chances in getting a 90+ atar?

School rank: 260

Math 3U Rank: 5/13
Math 4U Rank: 2/5
Physics Rank: 5/15
Chemistry Rank: 6/20
Standard English Rank: 31/120

aidan059

HSC
How many e3/e4's in maths and english? i'd say off what you've given around 88~

dollaking

HSC
Thanks! What ranks do i need to secure a 90+ atar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildestDreams

HSC

Honestly it depends on how many people are getting B6's and E4's for your subjects. From my guesses, you definitely do have chance at getting 90+ however you need atleast one B6 + high band 5's to achieve this. Definitely pick up your English marks, as it will help you achieve your goal much better. Aim for atleast top 10 for English

WildestDreams

HSC

Honestly it depends on how many people are getting B6's and E4's for your subjects. From my guesses, you definitely do have chance at getting 90+ however you need atleast one B6 + high band 5's to achieve this. Definitely pick up your English marks, as it will help you achieve your goal much better. Aim for atleast top 10 for English

jodongo

HSC
Don't laugh, but I have my sights set on an ATAR 99.90+...

I wanted to do English Advanced and 4-Unit Maths, but my school doesn't offer those, so I'm stuck with English Standard.

I've read a lot of sites and they claim that you can get 99.95 with any combination of subjects, but many others (including this one) say that the maximum ATAR for English Standard is capped at 99.35! What do I believe? If I work hard enough will I be able to reach my goal?

BTW my subjects are English Standard, Maths (2-Unit), Biology, Chemistry, Physics and IPT (which I plan on dropping at the end of my preliminary course this year) and I am studying at an offshore school.

donkily

HSC
N/A

I wanted to do English Advanced and 4-Unit Maths, but my school doesn't offer those, so I'm stuck with English Standard.

I've read a lot of sites and they claim that you can get 99.95 with any combination of subjects, but many others (including this one) say that the maximum ATAR for English Standard is capped at 99.35! What do I believe? If I work hard enough will I be able to reach my goal?

BTW my subjects are English Standard, Maths (2-Unit), Biology, Chemistry, Physics and IPT (which I plan on dropping at the end of my preliminary course this year) and I am studying at an offshore school.
the sad reality of english standard is that it's hard to get a band 6 due to the aligning of the course. the texts in standard are easier and shorter than in advanced (someone please correct me if im wrong)

aidan059

HSC
but many others (including this one) say that the maximum ATAR for English Standard is capped at 99.35! What do I believe? If I work hard enough will I be able to reach my goal?
If you work hard enough you can achieve anything, being totally honest. That's totally not true about English Standard, in fact it scales nearly as well as english advanced. The only downside is that it's hard to get a B6 like the other guy said. You can only do your best.

WildestDreams

HSC
the sad reality of english standard is that it's hard to get a band 6 due to the aligning of the course. the texts in standard are easier and shorter than in advanced (someone please correct me if im wrong)
Actually the texts with Standard and Advanced are actually pretty similar. In fact, some texts that used to be used in Extension, have been bumped down to the Standard course over different syllabus changes. So although the texts aren't easier, the way of answering and marking them may be.

WildestDreams

HSC

Yes English Standard is very hard to get Band 6, I can't remember the number, but its definitely less than 100. However don't let this stop you, you can definitely reach your goal if you work hard enough. Tbh, you gotta ensure you are first for English (or top 3-5 at least) if you want B6.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yes English Standard is very hard to get Band 6, I can't remember the number, but its definitely less than 100. However don't let this stop you, you can definitely reach your goal if you work hard enough. Tbh, you gotta ensure you are first for English (or top 3-5 at least) if you want B6.
Yeah it's less than 100 and you pretty much need 90 raw for a band 6 in standard.

Jackzerippa

HSC
N/A
Eh.... Tbh, it might be a push to get that.
You definitely have access to a 90+ atar though
Goodluck
I really do hope you do excellently

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)