Thread: Best choices for subjects

HSC

Best choices for subjects

I am currently doing the following (Year 11):
    Numbers next to subjects are how I've done in them from highest marks to lowest.

3. English Advanced
    4. Ancient History
    2. Modern History
    6. Maths (3U) - I will be dropping down to @2U (doing badly) and picking up History Extension.
    5. Business Studies (I didn't do very well since the first task was a business report which I didn't get full due to not clearly stating points, and the second task was an exam where I got 39/45 and lost marks due to one mistake and the rest due to bad explanation of my points)
    1. Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)

My Questions:
    1. With 90 in each of all of my subjects as a mark, what kind of ATAR would I get (with the change to History Extension next year)?
    2. Does History Extension scale that well?
    3. To get a high atar (aim - 95 lowest, but 97+ would be better) which subjects should I focus on the most.
    4. Would it be better to drop to 10 units (dropping business) or staying with 12 (keeping business) for high atar?

Thanks

BTW I love the Histories, so History Extension is something I want to do
    Last edited by Wurger; 26 Jul 2017 at 9:28 PM.

HSC

Re: Best choices for subjects

Pretty sure you've heard this a million times but do not do subjects just because of their scaling!
    1. I just dumped the marks into an atar calculator and it estimated an atar of 95.2
    2.Yee History extension scales well but I think it's one of the lowest scaling extension subjects. However!!! You don't need extension history to get a 97+ atar. Don't force yourself to do it if you hate it.
    3. You must focus on all subjects! My tutor says that a subject that you're doing poor in will dragggggg your atar down significantly, compared to a subject you're doing well in. In short: Subject dragging down > Subject dragging up (generally). I tested this on an atar calculator and its true. One poor subject can really drag your atar down.
    4. Dropping to 10 units will lower the stress. Its your choice to keep 12 or drop to 10. But keeping 12 is just incase you stuff up one of your exams. Just a safety net.

HSC

honestly, i'd stick with 3u maths and not do history extension- maths is just practice practice practice and the scaling will really help your ATAR

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

What is your current ranking within the subject?

School rank?

Previous cohorts performance?
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD

Individuals have till August 24th to sign up to vote in the postal plebiscite
    Enrol to vote today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

HSC

imo history extension is not worth it. it's super low scaling for an extension subject and the amount of work required is quite substantial.

Thread Information