repeating 2U maths (1 Viewer)

mudcake_soufle

HSC
will repeating 2U maths, if i already sit the HSC for it in yr.11 be a waste of time? Tbh, I'm not happy with my results.

Snowflek

HSC
If you're not happy with the results, then go for it. My friend did english accelerated and didn't do well so he did it again in year 12.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of being boring, really depends if you have to go to classes, cause at my school we didn't have to we just sat the exams. I didn't do that much study for it the 2nd time around, just did a few past papers before each trial to prepare

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If you're not happy with the results, then go for it. My friend did english accelerated and didn't do well so he did it again in year 12.
The pain... english HSC twice...

will repeating 2U maths, if i already sit the HSC for it in yr.11 be a waste of time? Tbh, I'm not happy with my results.
Yeah repeat it you're pretty much guaranteed to do better. Everyone who repeated in my school is doing better right now.

integral95

HSC
Also are you currently doing 3U math?
if not then repeating 2U in year 12 should give you a much better much since you're more exposed to a higher level of mathematics.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Maths study tips:

Maths is a skill based subject where "looking at notes" isnt the most beneficial way to study. It is crucial that you know your basics in maths inside out. I know it sounds ridiculous but if you are a yr 9 student, you should of already had known your basics from yr 4. A number of students struggle in maths because they do not know their basics and especially from a very young age, they do not practice mathematics enough to meet that minimum standard required to do well in mathematics in the later years. Think of it like a ladder, once you fall of the first step, it's harder to get to the next step on the ladder. Essentially applies for maths. In maths, whether it'd be yr 11 or yr 12, you need to have those basics thoroughly covered or else it will be much more difficult to progress into the harder questions. This sounds beyond cliche but the best way to study maths is by "practice". To do well in maths it's recommended you stay ahead. Most top maths students go to super accelerated tutoring where they are one year ahead of their peers but in my opinion, I would not recommend you doing that as a)you are more likely to forget the content by the time you redo it at school (unless you apply that knowledge consistently every now and then but I would doubt people have the time for that as they will have other things to focus on and time is very limited for a HSC/prelim student with study and extra curricular commitments) b) you're not as likely to focus on school work when needed. I would recommend staying ahead peers and school by at least a school term. In the school holidays you should be focusing on the easier-medium level questions (and maybe some harder questions if you wish). By the time you get back to school you can focus on the harder stuff and your core weaknesses in mathematics. Ask people for help in maths, you have this forum and your school teachers to help you in maths whenever needed and it's crucial that you understand the core principles behind what you struggled with in maths. Also do past papers. Past papers are literally a replica of what you will be doing in your school exams and the external HSC. If you are a prelim maths student, I'd suggest you do yr 12 past papers topic by topic since yr 11 content is usually reassessed and every now and then when you are studying a "new" topic at school, you can go through the yr 12 past paper and do the harder questions whenever needed. Also try doing those questions which morph multiple topics in one question

To summarise this:

a) It is important that you know your basics before going to do practice questions for maths. If you struggled with junior maths then focus on that first before progressing into senior maths. Focus on the easier questions before progressing onto the harder questions
b) Maths is a skill based subject where practice is the most effective way of studying
c) Stay ahead of school by at least a term (as opposed to like a year ahead)
d) By the time you get back to school, it is crucial that you focus on your weaknesses such as the questions you struggled with, the harder questions and questions which involve 2 or more topics in one question. Ask people for help whether it'd be your tutor, your friend, your maths teacher, this forum, etc and they can lead you in the right way and explain the "first principles" of those concepts you struggled with (this includes silly mistakes)
e) Do past papers every now and then

Note: If you are a prelim maths student I would doubt you would get questions which involve 2 topics in one question. Also for yr 11 you should be doing yr 12 past trial papers topic by topic when you are at school so by the time you are doing your HSC trial, you have covered almost every single past paper (not essential but helpful in my opinion since you are covering a wide range of questions)

Best of luck to all :)
Not mine but found it to be useful :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)