2017 - Trials Discuss here (1 Viewer)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Possible Discussion Topics:
For most of you have just finished trials or from what I've heard teachers have finished marking, and you should be getting your results back.

Comment below and discuss. Here are some helpful suggestions:

- Maybe share helpful study tips
- Post-trial successes or regrets.
- One thing you have learned in preparation for HSC (and beyond)
- Share your marks

2017 Paper Sharing:

If you do want to share 2016 or 2017 papers, you can post them directly here, or send through a PM.
(You can use the upload file link at thsc, or email; and I will post any 2016/2017 files submitted before September 23)

CSSA/Independent/NEAP/Exam Choice/Total Education submissions will not be accepted.
(If you really need incentive I have some files sitting around that haven't yet been uploaded to the website, only a couple though)

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Re: 2017 Trials Discussion Thread

Learned some invaluable stuff during my trials:

1. Don't cram the entire Physics course in one day (I didn't end up sleeping till like 4.15am).

2. Study all poems required for a certain module for English. I did the poetry of T.S Eliot for Module B and they specified the most contextually dislocated poem from all the ones set to study (for those who did Eliot, i'm talking about 'Journey of the Magi'). Lol during reading time you could hear everyone (including myself) internally crying as we were prepared for every Eliot poem except that.

(Edit) - Got some results back. I bombed badly in Chemistry even though it was my best subject before trials.
Managed to get 95 for Biology which was alright and 90 for 4U which I was pretty happy with given that I thought it was my hardest exam.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

This was the 2nd of our 3rd trial (CSSA)

English - restarted all my mod C stuff for this trial but got the same mark (16) but this time didn't know what indifferent meant so I think I improved my quotes, short answer improved got 15 this time, mod B improved to 19 which I'm happy about but I got help from peers for Yeats' poems, this paper was harder than past years
Overall did better than I expected for english for what we have got back.

3U - happy got 66 but didn't see how to do 2 marker, this paper was harder than past years

4U - got 87 but it was easier than past years and didn't know how to do most marks with a few silly mistakes

Physics - 82 but didn't finish 2 marks, rushed both 6 markers (4/6 and 2/6 respectively) and had no clue about radioisotopes so I got 1/3, ran out of time because I was writing too much, harder paper than past years especially multiple choice

Biology - haven't got this back but the marker is extremely harsh, I didn't finish because I was trying to write heaps for this marker, did bad in multiple choice (13/20) so I'm expecting the worst for this and probably losing my 16 mark lead
EDIT: 63/100 pretty surprised, highest was 75 then 69, 68, 66 I think

Overall:
Need to stop cramming for every exam (except maths I didn't cram)
More past papers for bio and phys to practice responses rather than content dumping and not finishing

Hope everyone did well

Last edited:

ShootingDuck

HSC

For the subjects I do, my school only did CSSA for 3u and English. Haven’t got all my results back but this is what I’ve got so far.

For 3U I got 64/70. This test in particular was very hard, and the replacement question that was given was ridiculous, with the average for my school being around 50%. I walked out of the test devastated and expecting to get <60 since I never actually checked my answers. I spent most of my remaining time trying to answers all the questions I left till the end. Apparently though i need to work on my handwriting as it's complete trash, with my 4’s and 9’s looking the same.

For Japanese beginners I got 89/100. I also did better than expected as I mainly focused on studying for bio. I’m really happy with this result combined with the more recent assessment task which have both pushed me up to rank 1 in my class.

So far I am happy with my results, though I can’t wait to get disappointed for everything else.

I know that not many people do Japanese beginners but I’ll give my two cents for doing well in it. The two most important aspects to succeed is understanding sentence structure and memorising as much words as possible. Being able to understand sentence structures helps allows you to understand most text; as the reading and listening part of the Japanese is just basic comprehension. Understanding more complex structures will allow you to make more complicated sentences for both writing and speaking so you can get higher marks. Memorising as much words is helpful as although you’re allowed to use a dictionary, you don’t want to waste too much time flicking through it. Also you can’t use one during the speaking part and it's too hard to use one during the listening part. A program that I use for memorising words is called anki. I highly recommend it and it's been very helpful.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Adding some:

2 Ancient History Trials
2 Senior Science Trials
2 English Papers
1 or 2 Physics Trials

+ Some Year 11 stuff.

If you want stuff to be passed on for future years, just shoot an email to dpfourtwo@gmail.com, or use the upload file function :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)