Doing 2 Major Works? Yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

shrimpson

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm currently doing the following subjects in year 11:

Biology
Chemistry
Adv. English
Ext 1 English
G Maths
2U Religion
Visual Arts

So, I want to pick up Ext 2 English, as it's something I know I can do well in. However, if I keep Art, this means I'll have two major works to worry about for HSC :uhoh: I am going to drop either Bio or Maths so I won't have like 14 units lol

Have any of y'all got any experience/advice for me? Should I just not pick up ext 2 to save the potential stress or is doing two major works not as daunting as it seems? Thanks

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
go for it

#yolo

jk though

do you know what you potentially want to do explore in your major works for both VA and EE2? (ik it's a tiny bit early for this but TBH the most stressful part of EE2 was thinking of and expanding upon our ideas/changing them when we realised it wouldn't or didn't work)

if yes

go ahead keep them both

i know a few people who did quite a few major works // some said it was a rewarding experience others just cried the whole time //

so it's all up to you and how much you trust yourself to keep up with your work and not leave things to the last minute

kendallkreene

HSC
I've talked to a few of my Year 12 friends about this. It seems like there is no in-between in terms of stress levels and anxiety - those that are stressed about having to do 2 major works are really stressed and freaked out... those that find it a breeze find it really breezy. So it depends on how much you can take for your workload.

grapegatsby

HSC
I did History Extension and EE2 last year. I ended up doing most of my EE2 really early (most of it in the summer break before HSC), and then most of my Hist Ext essay quite late (in Tm 2-ish iirc). My best advice is to know what kind of worker you are: if you're someone who likes to get things done over a shorter, more intense period of time, make sure you space both projects out so you have enough time to finish both successively. If you're someone who likes to do things slower with smaller actionables over a longer period of time, make sure you schedule time for that. At the end of the day, yes it is manageable, but you need to find out what 'manageable' means for you first. As was mentioned above, having a passion for one or two specific topics really helps scope out the project so you don't need to stress so much about making preliminary decisions re what you're actually going to make something about.
That being said, it's important to leave a bit of room in your planning in case you change your mind so you have a contingency plan, whether that's changing your projects, or dropping one (or both). Basically, keep a level head, know what you can and can't do, and make a decision accordingly. Personally, I certainly learned a huge amount about time management and research from doing two MWs at the same time. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)