Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By D94
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By blackbird_14

Thread: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

  1. #1
    Cadet stopcrying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    soundcloud.com/stopcrying
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    2

    Question Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    During the reading time of my English Advanced Paper 2 Trial, i detached the pages that my questions were on and folded them up into rectangles so that i could easily see them all at once on my desk. It made it made it much easier to move from one question to another as i did not have to look for it again. Is this allowed in the HSC?

  2. #2
    Member blackbird_14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    380
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    From http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au...res-guide-2018 :

    "You will have set reading time for each paper. During this time, you must not write, use any equipment, including highlighters, or mark your paper in any way. If you are allowed a dictionary, you can read it but you can’t write on or mark it during reading time."

    So perhaps you're fine doing that. I creased/dog eared the pages that my questions were on, because that Paper 2 is ridiculously big to search through. Though, the actual HSC paper is printed on thicker paper (if i remember right), and it might be more difficult for you to detach your questions.
    Searching for that HD WAM

    2017: UNSW Advanced Science (Chemistry)

    HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

  3. #3
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird_14 View Post
    From http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au...res-guide-2018 :

    "You will have set reading time for each paper. During this time, you must not write, use any equipment, including highlighters, or mark your paper in any way. If you are allowed a dictionary, you can read it but you can’t write on or mark it during reading time."

    So perhaps you're fine doing that. I creased/dog eared the pages that my questions were on, because that Paper 2 is ridiculously big to search through. Though, the actual HSC paper is printed on thicker paper (if i remember right), and it might be more difficult for you to detach your questions.
    Wait why would someone require a dictionary!?!
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  4. #4
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    I think you are probably allowed. If they didn't explicitly say that you can't do it, then you should be able to. During one particular maths exam I sat at uni, the exam supervisor stated that you're not allowed to use your nails to make marks on the paper (e.g. underlining) during reading time (lol). But yeah, use your best judgment. The worst thing that can happen is your paper getting replaced. I think you should be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Wait why would someone require a dictionary!?!
    Probably for languages. I think they provide you with a dictionary in those exams.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  5. #5
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,367
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by stopcrying View Post
    During the reading time of my English Advanced Paper 2 Trial, i detached the pages that my questions were on and folded them up into rectangles so that i could easily see them all at once on my desk. It made it made it much easier to move from one question to another as i did not have to look for it again. Is this allowed in the HSC?
    This could be considered intentionally marking your paper, i.e. the crease is a mark to the paper. So I would say don't do it.

  6. #6
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    This could be considered intentionally marking your paper, i.e. the crease is a mark to the paper. So I would say don't do it.
    And it'll take you like max 20 seconds to find your question it won't impact you. You can use the time ripping and folding to formulate plans for your essays.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  7. #7
    Cadet red152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    This could be considered intentionally marking your paper, i.e. the crease is a mark to the paper. So I would say don't do it.
    In tests with multiple choice questions, I mark the answer I think is correct with my finger nail. Would that be allowed?
    Year 10 (2017)
    English - History - Geography - Maths - Science - Religion - Chinese (Second Language) - Commerce - PDHPE

    Preliminary HSC (2018)
    English (Advanced) - Studies of Religion 1 - Legal Studies - Mathematics (Accelerated) - Chemistry - Physics

  8. #8
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by red152 View Post
    In tests with multiple choice questions, I mark the answer I think is correct with my finger nail. Would that be allowed?
    If they see you, no it's not allowed. Counts as marking on your paper.
    red152 likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  9. #9
    Member blackbird_14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    380
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    And it'll take you like max 20 seconds to find your question it won't impact you. You can use the time ripping and folding to formulate plans for your essays.
    I agree with this, planning arguments/figuring out what quotes and related Texts to use is what reading time is for, and as your flicking through finding your questions, stick your finger there to mark the page, then when reading time is done, fold them or something and then start writing.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    Searching for that HD WAM

    2017: UNSW Advanced Science (Chemistry)

    HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

  10. #10
    Cadet stopcrying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    soundcloud.com/stopcrying
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Alright so maybe folding it up would be 'risky' so i may simply just rip out the pages without folding them up. Thanks for the help everyone!

  11. #11
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Am i allowed to do this in a HSC Exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by stopcrying View Post
    Alright so maybe folding it up would be 'risky' so i may simply just rip out the pages without folding them up. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Ask the exam supervisors when you walk in
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •