How many years of past paper should i do? (1 Viewer)

Eric11588

HSC
So i dont know what years to what years i should do becuz apparently some of them are not in the syllabus. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me from what year to what year i should do lol.

My subjects:
Adv English, 2u Maths, 3u Maths, Physics, Bio, Engineering studies

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
before like 2004ish some of the stuff in sciences is different but still there dot points in there that are in the current HSC. For 2, 3 unit maths all the years contain content still used today, adv English discovery only came out in 2015, but most of the other texts have been there for many years. Engineering not sure.

It shouldn't be just about doing like 10 years of past papers. You need to do a past paper and analyse how to improve rather than just spamming papers

Reactions: 489

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So i dont know what years to what years i should do becuz apparently some of them are not in the syllabus. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me from what year to what year i should do lol.

My subjects:
Adv English, 2u Maths, 3u Maths, Physics, Bio, Engineering studies
Maths my friend told me 1992-2016 which is where the questions are still similar

Physics and Bio 2002-2016 because that's when syllabus changed

For maths probs spam past papers to get exposed to more questions but not only do the paper, you should reflect on why you went wrong, tally up silly mistakes vs did wrong/didn't know how. Then develop new mindsets or techniques.

For science I recommend just doing the hard questions fully but for the easy ones just write a few words to see if you would've got it right but don't wanna waste your time writing it fully.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
For physics, chemistry, and biology
2001 onwards. Slight change in 2002, so maybe don't do the option questions from the 2001 HSC.

I think Engineering studies changed in 2011.

andrew12678

HSC
For Physics:
Avoid the questions on Sunspots (up to 2010)

For English:
Basically anything pre 2009 is probably not that useful

Anything 2009-2014 is Belonging focused for AoS: I guess you can treat every Belonging you see as 'Discovery' but it may not work for some questions because the chosen texts/articles simply have nothing to do with Belonging. The Module A,B,C questions you need to select whether the questions asked each year are text-specific (i.e. if the question is targeting a theme in the text), if they aren't (eg. the question is about comparative study and context as a whole) then you can surely attempt it. But if they are specific and your text is a 'new' text (i.e. not Hamlet) then most of the questions will be useful, if your text is recycled (eg. Hamlet) then you should have no problem trying those questions

2015-2016: If you do try these papers, yes the questions are relevant but they probably wouldn't get asked again so keep that in mind

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
For Physics:
Avoid the questions on Sunspots (up to 2010)

For English:
Basically anything pre 2009 is probably not that useful

Anything 2009-2014 is Belonging focused for AoS: I guess you can treat every Belonging you see as 'Discovery' but it may not work for some questions because the chosen texts/articles simply have nothing to do with Belonging. The Module A,B,C questions you need to select whether the questions asked each year are text-specific (i.e. if the question is targeting a theme in the text), if they aren't (eg. the question is about comparative study and context as a whole) then you can surely attempt it. But if they are specific and your text is a 'new' text (i.e. not Hamlet) then most of the questions will be useful, if your text is recycled (eg. Hamlet) then you should have no problem trying those questions

2015-2016: If you do try these papers, yes the questions are relevant but they probably wouldn't get asked again so keep that in mind
There's a number of trials for discovery on the internet

Also with regards to Mod B essays, I don't think doing old questions would be useful because the rubric for mod b was different then (iirc)

andrew12678

HSC
There's a number of trials for discovery on the internet

Also with regards to Mod B essays, I don't think doing old questions would be useful because the rubric for mod b was different then (iirc)
I was mainly talking about actual HSC questions so yes of course you can do recent 2015-17 trials.

And nope, 2009-2014 Mod B is pretty much the same as 2015-17 with the differences mainly being in the choice of text and some slight nuances in the syllabus outline so those questions can be and should be reused if your text is the same (i.e. Hamlet/In the Skin of Lion/Kane)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)