What's everyone doing for HSC study? (1 Viewer)

sarkar_as

HSC
Are you guys just focusing on past papers or also looking through notes?

I've been procrastinating a lot but I've still been doing like 2-3 papers a day. I do English Advanced, Business, Eco, 3u and Phys.

If anyone's doing any of the same subjects as me, what are you doing study-wise for each one?

Also, how are you guys studying for English? Just memorising quotes or essay bodies (and planning to adapt it on the day)?

And how many planned creatives are you guys making? I only have one I'm considering doing another.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Are you guys just focusing on past papers or also looking through notes?

Mainly papers as I revised my notes in week 10

I've been procrastinating a lot but I've still been doing like 2-3 papers a day. I do English Advanced, Business, Eco, 3u and Phys.

If anyone's doing any of the same subjects as me, what are you doing study-wise for each one?

Advanced mainly memorising and writing out my quotes but starting papers today to practice analysing the quotes. Physics doing papers and revising content I didn't know how to answer.

Also, how are you guys studying for English? Just memorising quotes or essay bodies (and planning to adapt it on the day)?

Yeah just quotes by itself and analyse it on the day depending on the question.

And how many planned creatives are you guys making? I only have one I'm considering doing another.

Just one that has multiple discoveries in it
Answers in bold

jjHasm

HSC
For english I just have 4 1k word essays (1 for each module and 1 for AOS) and a 800 word creative, all edited to the maximum of my ability. All I plan on doing is memorising those 1 week before Paper 1, and am going to adapt in the exam and that's pretty much it :p. Not doing anything extra like quotes and notes etc. I have yet to touch Biology, but I hope to know the content thoroughly and well before I have to start memorising english. I do 1 mx2 trial a day (hoping, and most probably, that study will spill over to mx1, as I'm not really studying for that). I do economics also, and I've basically written out all my notes and essays plans, just doing 1 eco paper a day.

TL;DR - 1 Eco paper, 1 MX2 paper, and reading over bio notes. For eco I reckon you should make very detailed essay plans for a crap tonne of questions. That way, your not only preparing for the extended response/essays, but also short answer and mc. Much more effective and efficient than the generic "make syllabus dot points".

And as pikachu975 said in another thread, it's quality>quantity for non-math subjects. Try to make the most of doing papers - learn from mistakes and and learn exam techniqus and habits.

BlueFreckles

HSC
I'm doing a mix of past papers and learning content. I am doing around 2-3 papers a day although some of them are not done very effectively because my mind keeps wandering. I don't know if anyone else faces this problem but when I do past papers at home I find it hard to concentrate on just that for 2-3 hours. When I do the actual exam at school I am completely fine, it's just at home I get distracted by my thoughts. Also if I am writing an essay and it isn't very good because I'm not answering the question or something I just tell myself "that's ok it's only a practice" whereas if I was in the actual exam I would go back and fix it. It's problems like this that make me wonder how effective my past papers actually are. Some of my subjects I do with my summaries by my side if I don't know the content yet, whereas others I can do without.

For Advanced English I've had my quotes memorised and concepts for each paragraph planned out for awhile (since pre-trials). I am now just doing lots of practice essay to practice adapting to different questions as my main problem in English is always answering the question. I have 1 creative prepeared but I do plan to have several other settings and plots ready for back up. In the trial we were given a specified setting and it didn't work with my story at all so I think it is best to have several ideas just in case.

I also do Economics but I'm not going to lie, this is the subject I have done very little for. This is because it is my last HSC exam and I have a 6 day break before it. However, I know by that time I will probably be exhausted from the HSC so I do plan to study it more this week but I am not really sure what to do because I am so underprepared for it haha.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
It's hard to do non-maths papers since the sample answers are always so bad you can't really compare yours... Gotta send it to your peers for them to mark

Infernal3

HSC
It's hard to do non-maths papers since the sample answers are always so bad you can't really compare yours... Gotta send it to your peers for them to mark
Are you saying, theoretically, if you write an exact copy of the sample answer for a question, you won't receive full marks?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Are you saying, theoretically, if you write an exact copy of the sample answer for a question, you won't receive full marks?
No way, everyone would state rank, they write 2 lines for like 4 markers, if HSC was this easy we'd all state rank

sarkar_as

HSC
Answers in bold
nice one yeah i might just use one creative then since it has different aspects of discovery in it. do u think the stimulus will be based on a type of discovery or just a picture/quote?

sarkar_as

HSC
I'm doing a mix of past papers and learning content. I am doing around 2-3 papers a day although some of them are not done very effectively because my mind keeps wandering. I don't know if anyone else faces this problem but when I do past papers at home I find it hard to concentrate on just that for 2-3 hours. When I do the actual exam at school I am completely fine, it's just at home I get distracted by my thoughts. Also if I am writing an essay and it isn't very good because I'm not answering the question or something I just tell myself "that's ok it's only a practice" whereas if I was in the actual exam I would go back and fix it. It's problems like this that make me wonder how effective my past papers actually are. Some of my subjects I do with my summaries by my side if I don't know the content yet, whereas others I can do without.

For Advanced English I've had my quotes memorised and concepts for each paragraph planned out for awhile (since pre-trials). I am now just doing lots of practice essay to practice adapting to different questions as my main problem in English is always answering the question. I have 1 creative prepeared but I do plan to have several other settings and plots ready for back up. In the trial we were given a specified setting and it didn't work with my story at all so I think it is best to have several ideas just in case.

I also do Economics but I'm not going to lie, this is the subject I have done very little for. This is because it is my last HSC exam and I have a 6 day break before it. However, I know by that time I will probably be exhausted from the HSC so I do plan to study it more this week but I am not really sure what to do because I am so underprepared for it haha.
same thing happens to me. i legit haven't written a full practice essay at home yet because halfway through i think its so shit i get frustrated and just stop

shumphrey

HSC
I think the suggested answers are the answers that meet the minimal criteria for full marks (just-then again ive seen chem suggested answers for discuss Q's that dont mention disadvantages/against) and aren't the best answers you can give. Look at arc for past examples in different target ranges https://arc.nesa.nsw.edu.au/

If you have to mark your own try to compare to band 5/6 examples in terms of detail and use marking guidelines--> also mark harsh and rewrite answers.

EDIT: just to give an example a chemistry question may have criteria that requires you to "demonstrate comprehensively explain the processes used to produce ethanol from biofuels" this is subjective and the sample answers may describe it and (just) meet criteria. look and band 6 examples and you will see flow charts, diagrams and a clear structure, possibly a response plan. Most subjects require similar level responses

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
nice one yeah i might just use one creative then since it has different aspects of discovery in it. do u think the stimulus will be based on a type of discovery or just a picture/quote?
Can't really tell but hopefully an image since you can just regurgitate as images can be metaphorically represented rather than physical

buddyhield

HSC
Can't really tell but hopefully an image since you can just regurgitate as images can be metaphorically represented rather than physical
yeah i'm just scared that if i try to interpret the picture metaphorically the marker's won't see that i'm addressing the stimulus

zeee1999

HSC

i have this exact problem at home i struggle to do past papers bc im not in the environment of the exam hall and legit just start thinking about the most random things

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
yeah i'm just scared that if i try to interpret the picture metaphorically the marker's won't see that i'm addressing the stimulus
They will they've marked thousands of papers. I'd include physically too

aoc

HSC
You can interpret pictures as metaphorical but you do so at your own risk. If the marker doesnt get what you mean or they dont realise that youve used the stimulus metaphorically expect a bad creative mark. A better thing to do is use the image BOTH metaphorical and physically and kind of make it obvious that youve used the picture metaphorically if its not that obvious (hopefully that makes sense?) E.g. If there was a picture of a fire and you wanted to use it metaphorically as a guys burning passion for something then say something like my passion had become alive now embodying the guise of a flame (shit example but you get the point) then you can use this as a motif or someshit

sarkar_as

HSC
You can interpret pictures as metaphorical but you do so at your own risk. If the marker doesnt get what you mean or they dont realise that youve used the stimulus metaphorically expect a bad creative mark. A better thing to do is use the image BOTH metaphorical and physically and kind of make it obvious that youve used the picture metaphorically if its not that obvious (hopefully that makes sense?) E.g. If there was a picture of a fire and you wanted to use it metaphorically as a guys burning passion for something then say something like my passion had become alive now embodying the guise of a flame (shit example but you get the point) then you can use this as a motif or someshit
yeah that's a good idea i'll mention the stimulus physically and metaphorically just to be safe

Snowflek

HSC
No way, everyone would state rank, they write 2 lines for like 4 markers, if HSC was this easy we'd all state rank
Yeah aye... The sample answers for like a 5 marker can be only like 4 linesish~ I usually write like way more than that... But i still won't follow the sample answers as I rather be safe than sorry. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)