Should I drop Mathematics, go to General, or remain in Mathematics (1 Viewer)

Wurger

HSC
Hi,

I currently do 2U maths, and have dropped from ext 1 maths. Last year (year 10) I did very well in maths, getting around 80-90% in exams on average. Now, this year I got 83%, 63% and now 65% in my exams. I try very hard and spend most of my time doing maths (one of the hardest and most time-consuming subjects for me), but I still don't do that well since my application of knowledge isn't good and I have difficulty understanding and retaining content. My other subjects I score 90+%. I don't like maths and I haven't been able to do well. At this point I need a tutor to do well in the exams. I have 12 units currently. If I continue, unless I do particularly well, maths will not count to my atar. I am not sure what I want to do in uni, but I am aiming for a 97+ Atar. My parents want me to do it sinc they say I "need it in jobs"

What should I do?

Last edited:

Papercutter

HSC
Talk to your class or head teacher about it. If it is very stressful for you right now, you could consider going to General, but I wouldn't drop to 10 units just yet - not until at least after your halfyearlies (as a kind of "insurance").

It also obviously depends on your workload and whether or not maths is taking too much time from studying for other subjects. But by the looks of it, if you've been getting "90+%" in your other subjects, that doesn't seem to be the case?

Personally I think it is worthwhile keeping maths even if it doesn't end up counting towards your ATAR but thats just my opinion. As irrelevant as maths may seem, it does teach you those important problem-solving and critical thinking type skills that you will need. If you are going to aim for a 97+ ATAR, chances are the courses that have those kinds of highbar cut-offs will require or assume a prerequisite knowledge of advanced maths or higher.

TL;DR - Safer to keep it for now or consider general, but I would recommend keeping advanced maths especially since you don't know for sure what you want to do in uni.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)