Year 12 Student with an AQF Diploma (1 Viewer)

AKraken

HSC
Yo,

so I'm completing my HSC this year, but I also did a Diploma of Business Administration online alongside school and it was awarded to me two months ago. I mainly did it because it's a pathway course to the Bachelor of Business and I can gain advanced standing for it too.

The dilemma is that I applied for university as a current year 12 applicant where the main admission criterion is the ATAR. I'm expecting a disgraceful ATAR so I was relying on my Diploma for admission into the Bachelor of Business.

Last year, the admissions team for WSU told me that they would accept this Diploma and consider it for my application regardless of whether I applied as a year 12 applicant. Just a few days ago I called to confirm if I'm able to begin in their summer intake (before atar release) and they told me that year 12 applicants can't apply for that even though I satisfy the pathway requirements. In addition to that, they also said that if I applied as a year 12 applicant the only criterion they'll look at is my ATAR and they wont even take my diploma studies into consideration.

At this point I'm panicking, so I call other universities up like UTS and UOW and ask to speak to their admission team and they told me my diploma studies will be taken into consideration and that they do have a number of pathway courses for that diploma as well. they said it doesn't matter if im a year 12 applicant or non-year 12 applicant, as long as i add my diploma in my application it'll be considered. I called WSU up yet again, and this time a different person told me that my diploma studies will be taken into consideration.

So I'm very confused here. I'm getting answers saying that as a year 12 applicant they'll only look at my ATAR and that my diploma is essentially useless unless I apply as a non-year 12 applicant next year. Then I have other answers saying the exact opposite.

So what's the deal? If I'm a year 12 applicant who happens to also have an AQF diploma, will that be taken into consideration or is it ATAR only for year 12 applicants?

mariam60

HSC
When you apply through uac, you can put down any other certificates you have which will be taken into consideration. I think having a 'good' atar + a diploma helps you gain a advantage over other applicants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)