Early Entry (1 Viewer)

Thorax

HSC
Just wondering about a few things. Say I wanted to do a Science related degree at UOW through Early Entry. Would marks from English and Music severely affect my chances of getting in? If my marks were just above the assessment criteria, what would be the likelihood of acceptance?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
General rule for admission into UOW: "You will get in". Highly dependant on how perseverant you are. Anecdotal evidence: a friend of mine who got a UAI of 40something is now doing marketing.

Don't stress it if you don't get early entry. But as jm pointed out, if your science related marks are ok, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ninga

HSC
Yeah, and pretty much any retard can graduate from the University of Wollongong :)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Ninga said:
Yeah, and pretty much any retard can graduate from the University of Wollongong :)

yeah, i pretty much agree with this...

as far as im concerned, uow had one thing in mind when comin up with the idea of early entry, they want to offer everyone early entry so you then bludge and bomb out in ur hsc so no other unis want you, then they accept you and get more students which leads to more funding and a better name for themselves...

HSC
dawso said:

as far as im concerned, uow had one thing in mind when comin up with the idea of early entry, they want to offer everyone early entry so you then bludge and bomb out in ur hsc so no other unis want you, then they accept you and get more students which leads to more funding and a better name for themselves...
I'm not convinced that it's that complicated, I think they just like the money Afterall, they could intake directly from special needs school if more students automatically equated to better standing :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
dawso said:

I'm not sure whether to disagree or call that a stupid theory.

Maybe if your idea was correct, maybe UOW might change the grading system so nobody fails and drops out, allowing the uni to keep all their students and associated funding?

HSC
Raiks said:
I'm not sure whether to disagree or call that a stupid theory.

Maybe if your idea was correct, maybe UOW might change the grading system so nobody fails and drops out, allowing the uni to keep all their students and associated funding?
I think they make more money off people tricked into believing they can do it if they work hard enough continually repeating subjects than they do go-getters breezing through in three years :) Remembering of course that the profit figure has to include Unibar takings, I'd imagine a few fails go a long way towards boosting that (Then there's people like you... ahah, hang on, I think I just had an epiphany).

Why don't the Uni just run the bar, and scrap the rest of their operations?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I think they make more money off people tricked into believing they can do it if they work hard enough continually repeating subjects than they do go-getters breezing through in three years :) Remembering of course that the profit figure has to include Unibar takings, I'd imagine a few fails go a long way towards boosting that (Then there's people like you... ahah, hang on, I think I just had an epiphany).

Why don't the Uni just run the bar, and scrap the rest of their operations?
Yeah, why does the uni need to provide education when it can just provide the bar?

daza|ex

HSC
Sorry to digg up such an old thread -- but instead of making a new one I decided to post in this.

I too am hoping to gain Early Entry into UOW for an I.T. related degree NOT computer science - either Internet Science or Info. Comm. Tech. [Network Systems Management].

My marks for IPT - the closest related HSC course I take, are relatively high. I rank 2nd in the class, and have a raw score of about 88.

My maths marks, are pretty lacking. I do General Mathematics and in the trial probably got about 70-75% once scaled.

I've been to the recent information night, but didn't find it that useful. And no one around me seems to know what they're going to be concerned about, or what they'll look for.

I have a lot of extra-curriciular things up my sleeve which relate to the degree (projects, web-sites, etc). So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any interview tips, or if they know anyone who went through the whole Early Entry process.

Even just a few pointers would be helpful.

cheers =)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
daza|ex said:
Sorry to digg up such an old thread -- but instead of making a new one I decided to post in this.

I too am hoping to gain Early Entry into UOW for an I.T. related degree NOT computer science - either Internet Science or Info. Comm. Tech. [Network Systems Management].

My marks for IPT - the closest related HSC course I take, are relatively high. I rank 2nd in the class, and have a raw score of about 88.

My maths marks, are pretty lacking. I do General Mathematics and in the trial probably got about 70-75% once scaled.

I've been to the recent information night, but didn't find it that useful. And no one around me seems to know what they're going to be concerned about, or what they'll look for.

I have a lot of extra-curriciular things up my sleeve which relate to the degree (projects, web-sites, etc). So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any interview tips, or if they know anyone who went through the whole Early Entry process.

cheers =)

rofl, that information night was the biggest load of crap ever! after showing off my great skills and triumphing in the weekly club fdm unibar pool comp, taking away all the spoils, i had 1.5 hours to kill before going to indoor cricket and was really hungry....so as a smart uni student, i decided 2 use the resources around me and go act like i was a young high school kiddo and consume some 'light refreshments' in uni hall.....ah, how sweet, but then when some guy came and asked me what degrees i was interested in and i saw some of my lecturers approaching, i was out of there, well thats my story :)

DooGseY

HSC
daza|ex said:

cheers =)
There's been a lot of advice and discussion on early entry in this forum over the years so search through some older threads. I think everything that can be said has already been said, but in my experience, they focus pretty heavily on your marks and not much else. Others might tell you different, but it depends on what interviewers you get I guess. Even though Internet Science and Info Comm Tech don't require any maths subjects to complete the degree (unlike computer science) they still regard maths very highly. I don't really understand why, but in both degrees there is a number of core programming subjects so I guess it is somewhat justified.

My guess is that you will get a conditional offer saying you need 80 in the HSC exam for general maths, your IPT marks are good and provided you're doing decently in your other subjects they might not specify a target UAI.

As for the interview, just don't take it too seriously. They won't expect you to wow them, so just answer questions to the best of your ability. They will probably ask you why you want to go to uow and why you want to do the degree. If they ask why you want to do the degree, you could reply with "why the fuck not?" and that would probably be sufficient. The uni is so low on IT enrolments now and provided you aren't completely incompetent you're guarenteed a spot. You will find out what I mean next year when your friends who get a 60 UAI get offers to do Info Comm Tech anyway.

I didn't answer your question very well but just search through the forum for similar topics and don't stress over the interview. In my opinion your marks are going to be the difference between getting a guarenteed place as opposed to a conditional offer (for IT degrees), which are basically the same things anyway.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
dawso said:
rofl, that information night was the biggest load of crap ever! after showing off my great skills and triumphing in the weekly club fdm unibar pool comp, taking away all the spoils, i had 1.5 hours to kill before going to indoor cricket and was really hungry....so as a smart uni student, i decided 2 use the resources around me and go act like i was a young high school kiddo and consume some 'light refreshments' in uni hall.....ah, how sweet, but then when some guy came and asked me what degrees i was interested in and i saw some of my lecturers approaching, i was out of there, well thats my story :)
wish i thought of doing that :( nothing makes me happier than a free feed.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
dawso said:
You should have stayed and talked to your lecturers about good the free food is. I know a friend and I drunkenly managed to scam our way into a formal pysch ball one year and steal enough cutlery for 2 houses, I remember running through the campus and up into the Western carpark jingling all the way while security chased us from the funtion centre. Fun times.

WangzoR

HSC
N/A
Yet more questions.. i am going for an interview for Computer Science.. BUT, i have not done any programming before.. does that automatically mean im stuffed? also my closest possible subject is IPT which i am 2nd in the class. but with only like 68% for the trials.. so what are my chances of of getting a spot?

HSC
If you haven't done any programming before, you aren't stuffed, just need to start putting effort in from the beginining.

You don't need to bring in your trial paper - merely what all your grades were and your rankings.

struth

HSC
Yup, I'm applying for early entry - hopefully for engineering. :p

I'm pretty sure you just need to bring your report (or at least I hope that's it). What use would they have for the exam papers? The marks should reflect your ability, and once scaled, your performance in regards to the rest of the state.

mooskey56

HSC
hey
im going for my interview next friday but our reports dont have our ranking on them, just our moderated assessment and exam marks. do i need to get my rankings off my teachers as well or are my assessment and exam marks enough?

cheers, adam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)