Good Lecturers (1 Viewer)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
We all have a fair idea who to avoid in subjects. But what about the good lecturers, the ones who are actually funny, have ability and personality, and are generally nice people?

Econ has a few, Murray Stewart is pretty good, he's one of the younger ones and dj's regularly at Coonies. Makes me feel old when we shared Environmental Economics together one year and a few years later he's tutoring me in Micro.

Eduardo Pol is brilliant. I can't remember anything about his classes or even if he was good or bad, but for the fact he's got some sleazy photo of him on the back of his own textbook with a list of hobbies underneath (which state 'latin dancing and group exercise')... much kudos go to that.

Aussiechick

HSC
Stephen Brown is an awesome history lecturer, he makes his lectures interesting by chatting about the most interesting parts and glossing over the major facts which he puts in the lecture notes. Also he's a great help when preparing for exams, basically telling you what exactly you need to study to get a good mark :)

I also enjoyed Gerry Turcotte's lectures for ENGL113 (I think) he was just amusing more than anything else. Although he did like to plug his own books a lot.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Good lecturers:

That is all. ;)

(Pretty much all the staff from JAPA are awesome, not just 'good' ok! Do JAPA!)

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
David Neil in Philosophy.

Writes awesome lecture notes. The lectures are accessible, engaging and entertaining. Doesn't just chuck volumes of writing on the lecture ppt, always uses relevant analogies that are actually interesting.

Scanorama

HSC
99.9% of SITACS lecturers are rubbish, but there is always some exception:
Willy Susilo
Jo Abrantes
Luke McAven
Koren Ward

HSC
Yeah quiet thread, still can't figure out why.

Also, what's with you fags starting threads like that? This isn't the lifestyle pullout in the Sunday paper!
(This comment is regarding the: "So you've had a long weekend, your genitals are itching like crazy and the body in the cupboard is starting to smell. Here are some some tips to getting the most out of your working week, and buying yourself time to finish up what you started" instead of just saying "So, good lecturers? Spill it")

Last edited:

Spiked_Phate

overloaded student
HSC
Scanorama said:
Willy Susilo
Jo Abrantes
Luke McAven
Koren Ward
I'll second that.

And add that I've found 99% of ECTE lecturers to be even worse than most SITACS ones. Just bad. :(

K.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Margaret Bond from the Faculty of Law is awesome. I've had her three sessions running, and she made each class of contract law far more interesting than it should be.

Oh, and Nerissa Bradley is great for small seminar groups. Very approachable person with lots of interesting anecdotes.

mongabudi

Guntas
HSC
Scanorama said:
Willy Susilo
Jo Abrantes
Luke McAven
Koren Ward

I Agree, I would have to say that Koren Ward was the best lecturer by far for CSCI124 and Luke Schiralli was an absolute legend as a tutor, if u can get them as a combination you'll find c++ a lot more straight forward and easier to understand. Luke and Koren are good at answering emails unlike a lot of sitacs lecturer's/tutors.. even messages i sent in the middle of the night were answered and Luke even gave out his MSN messenger and had an extra support site for students, you could tell he really cared about helping, not just making money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harpos

HSC
Uni Grad
Neil Gray is a great lecturer you learn a lot about the background to the subject and how to apply the theory to your work. He wrote a C++ book and makes it available as free download to everyone. Luke McAven Sherine Antoun and Koren Ward are also great teachers. Sherine Antoun (I think Dr by now) taught us Robotics (CSCI444) we learnt 2 programming languages and our final project got us on TV and in the Mercury.

Josh03

HSC
I agree Sherine Antoun is great he answers email even at midnight and gives you code example in LabVIEW when you ask for help, yeah we got on TV for our maze robots, you can see it on you tube too. Neil is good but his assignments are hard.

Weezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Some good lecturers from the Business faculty:

Sam Jebeile (left this year). Shahriar Akter is an excellent lecturer, he doesn't crap on like many other lecturers do. Martin O'Brien is also a good lecturer in Statistics and Econometrics. Parulian Silaen is a great lecturer as well, his lecturers are normally fun. Aelee Jun is also a decent lecturer as well and a nice person.

Focus is Key

HSC
Margaret Bond is the best lecturer out of my first year law subjects- she's so passionate, entertaining and just keeps it all interesting. She's made contracts really interesting and definitely one of my favourite subjects.

Shazer2

HSC
Daniel Saffioti was good in CSCI114. Also, Anne Porter for STAT131.

Focus is Key

HSC
Karina Murray was good for both LLB100 and LLB197- you actually have to listen as she does really well on expanding the dot points in her lecture slides.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Glenn Mitchell from the faculty of Arts is hilarious, witty and always keeps things interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)