Travelling from Sydney to UOW?? (1 Viewer)

adrian_1522

HSC
Hey guys,

Firstly I'd like to say: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!

Ok...my problem...I really want to do B Medical Science/ B Commerce @ UOW & BUT, I live in Sydney (Inner Western Suburbs) & I think it would be a hindrance to travel there everyday. (approx. 2hours) & I moving down there is not an option.

How early does Uni start @ UOW?, and what kind of hours would I be doing with this degree? would I be able to keep my part-time job?

Scanorama

HSC
830 is the earliest start, classes can finish as late as 2230, but only very few subjects finish that late.

Attendance for lectures are not compulsory for most subjects though.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Whether you keep your part time job all depends on the flexibility of your work timetable, since UOW timetables change every semester meaning that every 6 months you might have to change the days you can go to work. Most places are fine with that though.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
haha you think that's far?

I travel from the north shore of Sydney to Wollongong for uni. I had to wake up at 5am every friday last semester to make it to uni for an 8:30 class. I take two trains and luckily get picked up at Sutherland by a friend to drive me the rest of the way.

If you are taking public transport it's not that bad. I take my laptop and get work done (or watch a movie). I've done whole assignments on the train. It's not that much of a hindrance if you use the time to do something.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I used to drive from Harbord to UOW each day which was as fun as rusty forks gouging out your eyes.

But it's not too bad these days, where I am now means it's only a 1 1/4 hour drive from work to uni, followed by a 1 hour drive home.

iPud

HSC
It shouldn't be too bad. There are so many students who commute to uni and they live much further away. Some students travel everyday from Kiama and I even know of one who travels from the Blue Mountains.

G

Gavvvvvin

I dont really think its worth traveling that far for uni...it really takes a tole on your social life, your not able to work as much, and no matter what you like to tell yourself, you'll never make that time back up by studying on the train - it just doesn't happen. Trust me, the year will go slow for you, and you'll wake up every morning wishing you were dead. I had to find out the hard way :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
One of my favorite things about UOW is that is is only a 35 minute drive on a highway with almost no traffic. I'd hate to have to drive for an hour in traffic or even worse catch the train.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Actually I do study on the train. I like the commute, it gives me time to think as I work every day I'm not going to uni and am quite busy most weekends. I've also kept my social life up too.

I am doing the most awesome course and have the best friends all because of UOW. Sure it sucked having to wake up at 5am but at the same time I did it because that day was always a lot of fun.

Next semester I'll be going to uni three days a week and working another two-three days at a 9 to 5 job. And I'm looking forward to going back, I honestly can't wait to start it up again.

So there's a completely different experience.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I can understand totally regarding the balance of work and uni. I'm working 50-60 hours a week and the day off work to go to uni is one of the few reasons I'm looking forward to the upcoming semester.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I know, it's almost as ludicrous as travelling from Goulburn to Wollongong.... I don't think anyone would do that (for distance reasons, not because no one from Goulburn would ever be accepted into uni.)

HSC
Raiks said:
I know, it's almost as ludicrous as travelling from Goulburn to Wollongong.... I don't think anyone would do that (for distance reasons, not because no one from Goulburn would ever be accepted into uni.)
I think we've already established that Uow have pretty low standards ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)