how is the reputation of UOW in australia? (1 Viewer)

rasahv

HSC
hi everybody... im about to apply for postgraduate studies (masters) in one of australian universities(im not resident or citizen or local, hell i've never been there), anyway, how about UOW gradutes while trying to find a full time job in australia (after finishing masters)?? please tell me about it while comparing it to other universities.... thanks alot ,
regards

HSC
Duno if it helps, but I know that UOW is supposed to have one of the highest employment rates for undergraduates...not sure how it translates for postgrad, but I assume they would also be pretty good as well...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
UOW is one of the top universities in the country with an incredibly high employment rate after graduation. Very well respected.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
UOW is a good university that's building up a great research base, for post-graduate study though I'd actually get in contact with some of the accademic staff there to find out whether there's people that can accomodate your research (if doing it by research) or more generally whether the universities goals align with your own.

The usual top Australian research/postgrad universities though would be (slightly in order);

- Australian National University
- Melbourne University.
- Sydney University.
- University of Western Australia.
- University of Queensland.
- University of Adelaide
- University of New South Wales
- Monash University

Roughly in that order and because they're all a member of the Group of 8,
see: http://www.go8.edu.au/ But I really think (especially for postgrad work) it's best to get into contact with the institutions/accademics you're inquiring about working under.

Good luck.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Raiks said:
UOW is one of the top universities in the country with an incredibly high employment rate after graduation. Very well respected.
Traitor.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
poloktim said:
So sorry, I wasn't thinking straight.... what on earth was I thinking?

rasahv

HSC
hello again and thanks for your replies ... I get from these posts that the university is fairly good and quite respected in the country but of course that we should take a look at what we're goint to study , major I mean. In mechanical and mechatronics engineering i think the course structure offered by the UOW is one of the best postgraduate coursework structures in AU. also there is a very good structure offerd by Adelaide university...

Im still waiting for further info from you guys. anything would be helpful.

oh and i didnt get the two last posts, amazingly they are from two UOW students, whats goin on?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
rasahv said:
hello again and thanks for your replies ... I get from these posts that the university is fairly good and quite respected in the country but of course that we should take a look at what we're goint to study , major I mean. In mechanical and mechatronics engineering i think the course structure offered by the UOW is one of the best postgraduate coursework structures in AU. also there is a very good structure offerd by Adelaide university...

Im still waiting for further info from you guys. anything would be helpful.

oh and i didnt get the two last posts, amazingly they are from two UOW students, whats goin on?
It's a long running satrical theme which runs in this thread.

As for more information, you'd be best to look at the university website and have a look through course handbooks and subject descriptions to see if it suits you best. While UOW has one of the best graduate employment rates, again individual performance ultimately decides whether you are going to be employable.

For a relatively unbiased university information source, you'd be best to check out the good university guide as it gives you info on all the universities so you can make the best decision for your own needs. UOW is comparably a great uni but it all depends on what you are looking for.

http://www.thegoodguides.com.au/

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2007/pg/eng/UOW006212.html <---- That is twenty-four credit points of coursework plus twenty-four credit points of a thesis.

http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2007/pg/eng/UOW006214.html <---- That's forty-eight to seventy-two credit points of coursework. You can do a mechatronics major in that, too.

rasahv said:
Differences of opinion that Raiks seemed to think was satirical. Depending on your experience with UOW, it can be the best place ever. It can also be the seventh layer of Hell itself. You just have to make sure the staff you're dealing with actually know what they're talking about, know how to express it, and don't try to fuck everything up for you.

On the plus side, the service staff at various shops at UOW are really pleasant.

However this isn't just specific to UOW. All Australian universities can and do have this problem in some areas. Most of the time, though, it should be fine.

When it comes to universities in Australia for coursework, UOW has a better rating than most. The universities that Not-That-Bright mentioned are considered the best in terms of research capacities. Though perhaps that's really only important if going for doctoral or post-doctoral studies. Since you're planning on doing a coursework related masters, UOW will be good for you. There's also industry (Bluescope Steel) very close-by in the heart of the Illawarra.

HSC
mongabudi said:
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS RUINING OUR GOOD REP!!!

One monumental F-up of a teacher/tutor....

CSCI446/946... Sherine Antoun ... He doesn't know the subject material:

- He can't deomonstrate how to use Final Cut Pro
- He is useless at Photoshop
- He is useless at Live Type
- He can barely operate a mouse... let alone operate it as quickly as anyone who has actually done, or is doing Computer Science related degree.
- And worst but not least, he does not know how to program FULL STOP!!!! and he's meant to be tutoring us Quick Time for Java, he can barely even run our programs in x-code and when he does he does not know enough about x-code and crashes the programs then blames the students, then we show him how to run it in like 2 seconds and he's still arrogant and rude to us!! were paying his wages and he's not even qualified to be the tutor! he only got the job as hes the lecturers buddy for PHD or something, he didn't even do the subject he teaches i think! You ask him a question about how to program code, he tells you to see him later, then you see him later, he tells you he's too busy and runs away! he's a fake and we are paying for him!!! he gives no credibility to the subject!

- At least if your a fake tutor, who does not know programming or any of the material then don't be rude to students or mark them wrong on things you don't understand! He even admitting that one assignment that he marked he didn't even follow the marking criteria and just guessed a mark based on how it looked (probably as he doesn't understand Java code enough to mark it properly)

My friends have him for other subjects and have similar problems, some have mentioned that we may start a petition about him!!! as this has gone beyond a joke.. why can't the UOW heads see this about their own staff!

HE IS MAKING A JOKE OUT OF UOW!!!

i want my money back!
I'm quite suprised - you got through an undergraduate degree at wollongong, and this is the first time you've had a shit tutor?
Try the vast majority of csci103, csci114, csci102 tutors

Last edited by a moderator:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
chinesefireball said:
I'm quite suprised - you got through an undergraduate degree at wollongong, and this is the first time you've had a shit tutor?
How about CSCI212? :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
UOW's reputation isn't what it used to be. What the fuck happened to the looks of the bar staff, where did some of the girls go. Fair enough Bianca left but Bjork just doesn't get enough shifts these days. :(

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Raiks said:
UOW's reputation isn't what it used to be. What the fuck happened to the looks of the bar staff, where did some of the girls go. Fair enough Bianca left but Bjork just doesn't get enough shifts these days. :(
You scared them all off.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Josie said:
You scared them all off.
Thanks Josie, because what would you know... you betray the unibar to go to class.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, well the bar is only turning on 1/2 the heaters for some reason. Spent most of last tuesday in a hoodie still being cold over in the lounges and I wasn't alone. Everyone seems to be suffering.

Josh03

HSC
The guy is an idiot he hates all teacher that taught java may be he has java problems and blames everyone for his laziness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)