Small dilema (1 Viewer)

ram14

HSC
Hey guys,
Just been a bit confused about my options at UOW.
I'm thinking of trying for the post grad medicie path through the health science degree that is offered and just a bit confused about the health science degree.
Whats with the interview and what are your chances of getting into medicine after it??
Also say i get into health science but also med science/law at UOW what would be better and easier to do to get into medcine, however say i dont get into medicine after doing either degree, wouldnt it be better to have that law/med science degree but doing that degree could decrease my chances of getting into medicine at the time but be better for me in the long run as i would have a proper law and medical scinece degree...
What do i do?!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Well, from the people I know, most who are trying to get into post-grad medicine are doing medical science.

btw, it isn't a straight path into postgrad medicine, you have to another test and interview.

HSC
^yeah, but that's because health science was only introduced this year. i think there will be a fair few more people going for health science in years to come.

ram14 said:
Hey guys,
Just been a bit confused about my options at UOW.
I'm thinking of trying for the post grad medicie path through the health science degree that is offered and just a bit confused about the health science degree.
Whats with the interview and what are your chances of getting into medicine after it??
Also say i get into health science but also med science/law at UOW what would be better and easier to do to get into medcine, however say i dont get into medicine after doing either degree, wouldnt it be better to have that law/med science degree but doing that degree could decrease my chances of getting into medicine at the time but be better for me in the long run as i would have a proper law and medical scinece degree...
What do i do?!
i'm not sure why they had interviews for health science. but its the first year that it has run so maybe they had interviews to see how many people might be interested in it and all to see if it was worth running (as they would want to be using this as a chance to get into postgrad med) and so they can work out what the uai for it will be or if it will need a uai cutoff + interview.

if you're intent on doing medicine, then don't worry about doing the medical science/law double, unless you really want to give yourself the option of being a lawyer. just get good marks in health science or medical science because in years to come the entry into the post grad school is going to be very very competitive.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
As someone who's been there, don't do med science/law, unless you have a passion for both. I sucked majorly at med science (although I must admit I rock at law) and I have the grades on my transcript to haunt me for years to come.

Regarding your other question, I would advise against choosing a degree based on how 'easy' it is to get into grad medicine after it. They accept everything, including arts degrees - all you need is a high enough GPA which, surprisingly, can be harder than it sounds to obtain.

I'd focus on asking yourself "if I don't get into medicine, what will I be able to do with this degree?" Statistically, it's the most likely option, and you don't want to have wasted $30 000 + 3 years on something that will only qualify you to lead four year olds around Questacon.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
fernando said:
i remember Questacon!! yr 6 memories!
Stick to the memories. I went back there in July and I realised the awesomeness factor wears off between when you're 6 and when you're 20-something. Live off the memories, you'll smile more.

ram14

HSC
Hey guys,
Thanks for you help. Im still really confused. I really wanna get into the health field but i really dont know if health science is gonna be the best way to do it. I guess ill hand in the application anyway, give it a go and see what sort of uai i get and make a decision about what i wanna do.
Im pretty passionate about both law and the science side of things but i dont know where thats gonna take me.
Anyone tryin for the interview?!

Anyway your insgight is much appreciated...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)