UOW Informatics Rep (1 Viewer)

wce33

HSC
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what the reputation for the UOW Informatics is globally - particularly the Information Systems school? I am deciding between a single Bachelor of Information Systems degree at UOW or a Double Degree - Bachelor of Info Sys/Bach of Business - Maj. HR at Australian Catholic Uni (ACU) and am trying to find an edge in either university and their respective degrees.

Any help/feedback would be appreciated
Kind Regards,

wce33

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Hi there. Ive completed my first year at uow and i am a part of informatics. I can say that the faculty is really good and is always up to date. The facilities are good (we have our own computer labs also) and most graduates who do a IT course get jobs in banking, finance and insurance which is excellent.

Informatics for 2008 has also updated its courses so graduates have the skills required of the current ICT market (as told by course coordinator). Its a good faculty compared to a majority of other faculties at uow ie engineering lol.

-->Oh ye uow also won teaching awards this year, which included informatics faculty.

Last edited:

wce33

HSC
Hmm, very interesting Hakz, thank you for that indepth insight; it's great to hear that the informatics faculty is high class :)

May I ask, as you have currently completed your first year, how the relationship is between student - lecturer in regards to questions and queries as well as knowing students as people and not numbers?

I ask, because I am a person who...examines issues in a thorough manner, however as a result I tend to ask quite a few questions, so it would be vital to know how UOW informatics lecturers respond to students like me:confused:

Also, can I ask what your thoughts are on using a laptop in lectures to take notes rather than pen n paper?

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
-Questions are the best way to learn. The lecturers are all mature, friendly and also have a bit of humor which makes classes more fun and they will answer your questions. They also respond quickly to emails. Like my course coordinator was very helpful to me in regards of subject changes (as my degree was redesigned).

-So yes they will respond to your questions, i also have asked many questions to lectures but usually through emails, and i hadn't got a negative reply yet.

-Laptops arent necessary. I never use my laptop in lectures they tend to be distracting as most people who bring them into lecs use it for going on the net/, playing games etc. Honestly i dont take notes in lectures, only if its regarding exams.

Also if you plan to do info systems you will also take subjects from commerce, which also contain good lecturers.

Last edited:

wce33

HSC
Thanks Hakz, you have been of enormous help :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)