Parking (1 Viewer)

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Where do you guy's park? What does the carpark cost? Will I always be able to get a spot on the street if I'm willing to walk?

I get angry thinking about how I have to pay to leave my car somewhere.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
jackmurray1989 said:
I get angry thinking about how I have to pay to leave my car somewhere.
Welcome to the free market, where property owners charge people for a limited resource.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
Where do you guy's park? What does the carpark cost? Will I always be able to get a spot on the street if I'm willing to walk?
I park in the multi-storey. It costs $6 per day. The Western Carpark is half that. If you are willing to walk you will always be able to find a place on the street but it could take 10 or 15 minutes to get to uni. Personally I would rather pay $3 than waste 30 minutes.

Expect parking in the beginning of the first session to be particularly fucked up. If you come in early you should get a spot, but if you are starting around the middle of the day expect a wait to get into the carparks or a big walk from wherever you find a spot on the street.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
$6. Far out. I still can't beleive they charge students to park.

On a side note, my Dad's a professor there except he only works at the uni one day a week. Do you think it's dodgy if I use his spot when he's not there? Coule I get a fine or something? He said he'd give me his pass but if I get a fine or in trouble he's not taking the blame.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I think I'd call you nasty names if you used his spot, but I think technically you're fine.

When I drive I park on the other side of the Botanic Gardens and walk through, only takes 5 minutes and is a lovely walk to start your morning.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Josie said:
I think I'd call you nasty names if you used his spot, but I think technically you're fine.

When I drive I park on the other side of the Botanic Gardens and walk through, only takes 5 minutes and is a lovely walk to start your morning.
Yeah, that's a good idea actually, get you warmed up in the morning. Might give that a shot too. Cheers.

dt673

HSC
Just wait til you find out about internet quota :)
I have a feeling i've exceeded mine already, even though it hasnt reset yet.

HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
What's this internet quota?
when you're using the uni computers you have 400MB of internet quota per session. if you use youtube, myspace/facebook and any live streaming things a lot you could see that quota disappear quite quickly.

DooGseY

HSC
I've never had a problem with Internet quota, and you're able to monitor how much you're using anyway. Then again I'm hardly ever at uni.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Josie said:
I don't think it is lovely, I think it is 5 extra minutes I could of been sleeping.

And it definitely isn't as fun when you are going back to your car after a long day and you just want to get home as quickly as possible.... especially if you finish after it closes and you have to walk around.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Alright, I guess I'll have to park a long way away and not use the internet. Uni's looking up already.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
Alright, I guess I'll have to park a long way away and not use the internet. Uni's looking up already.
It's honestly not that bad, parking is always a bit hellish in the first few weeks but it does settle down a bit. Also, if you live fairly close, there's nothing wrong with public transport either.

The quota thing is ridiculous though.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Tulipa said:
It's honestly not that bad, parking is always a bit hellish in the first few weeks but it does settle down a bit. Also, if you live fairly close, there's nothing wrong with public transport either.

The quota thing is ridiculous though.
First session last year I was coming in about lunch time 2 days of the week and I had to wait for a spot every single day, even in weeks 11 and 12. It was fucked.

I have never even come close to using up my quota, but I don't do any work at uni ever.

HSC
That's because everyone is on at lunch time, because they have a break (you'd think they would be having lunch). If you come in earlier or later in the day its not *too* hard to find a computer somewhere around, even if it isn't in Building 17.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
watatank said:
That's because everyone is on at lunch time, because they have a break (you'd think they would be having lunch). If you come in earlier or later in the day its not *too* hard to find a computer somewhere around, even if it isn't in Building 17.
I was talking about parking... not getting a computer. I don't use the computers at uni.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I just used my staff account for quota purposes.

As for the first few weeks with driving - you might want to look into public transport if you can. Relatively hassle free - I used it throughout my time at uni. It can get expensive if you have to take a bus and you're travelling from far, but for the first few weeks, it's not that bad an idea.

If you live in an area accessed using trains, you can walk from North Wollongong station to the uni (just follow the crowds), which can give you that nice set of exercise for the morning, or take a 60c busride to uni from the station.

DooGseY

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
First session last year I was coming in about lunch time 2 days of the week and I had to wait for a spot every single day, even in weeks 11 and 12. It was fucked.
By week 4 or so, so long as I didn't come in at half past and expect a spot then I was fine. If I came in around 15 or even 20 past then there's usually people leaving, and less people to fight spots for then at half past. Plus coming in 10 minutes early leaves just enough time for a coffee before class.

Walking isn't that bad, and sometimes you get annoyed for not walking when you're waiting for a spot to park in the uni for more than 5 minutes. I've done both, and if I don't think I'll be able to get a spot in the car park then I just don't bother. I would rather pay $2 to get a spot close to class if I can though.

Just make sure you be smart about where you park your car. You WILL get fined if you park illegally (intentionally or not), both inside and outside of uni. Make sure to check and double check any parking signs that apply to you (there are a few 2 hour zones near uni you should be aware of). And just a word of warning; if you've parked in a uni car park and you need to leave the row of cars you've parked in to find a ticket machine, then you're probably parked in a permanent only zone. Trust me, you don't want to pay $6 for parking then get fined anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)