Elec VS Mecha for robots (pls help, gotta decide to confirm coop offer) (1 Viewer)

Daedalus

I want to do Mechatronics Engineering because I want to build and work with robots, which I think that in the future there will be a huge demand for it. Just like ppl rode the wave of the computer age, I want to ride the wave of the robotic age.

Unfortunately, I only got shortlisted for Mechatronic Eng in UNSW. However, I did get AN OFFER for Electrical Engineering. The Elec guys I talked to said that Electrical would still allow me to work with robots, but since they arent really concerned with the mechanical part, it does not concern the building of the robots as much as the controlling.

I live in Wollongong, and due to financial reasons, I prefer to go to UNSW only on a scholarship.

My questions are:

1. Should I just take the Electrical Engineering COOP? Why? A friend said Electrical is more general so its easier for getting a job, but my reasoning is, since the subjects are very diff, and Mechatronics specializes in robots, wouldnt an employer that deals with robots rather a Mechatronic engineer than an electrical one?

2. Does the uni I go to matter for Mechatronic Engineering? Compare UOW (Wollongong) VS UNSW in the context of employer perspective both in AUS and internationally. i.e would I be disadvantaged in ANY way if I go to UOW?

3. In terms of prestige, is going to UOW on the Engineering Scholars program (UAI 93) more prestigious than going to UNSW without a scholarship for Mechatronic engineering (UAI 79 or 80)?

edit: BTW Still awaiting results for malcolm chaikin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)