Wollongong - bogan capital of the country? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was looking through a thread on another internet forum and this user was ike, "What? One of your friends is going to [the University of] Wollongong? My IT teacher went there and one of my Aussie friends said it's the bogan capital of the country!"

And then a Sydney student concurred with that.

Is it... true?

And as a side issue: To use a euphemism - would we say that perhaps, the free condoms that UoW may or may not give out are used up very, very quickly? (points to anyone who gets the anti-bogan slur in that!)

Towner

Banned
HSC
I was looking through a thread on another internet forum and this user was ike, "What? One of your friends is going to [the University of] Wollongong? My IT teacher went there and one of my Aussie friends said it's the bogan capital of the country!"

And then a Sydney student concurred with that.

Is it... true?

And as a side issue: To use a euphemism - would we say that perhaps, the free condoms that UoW may or may not give out are used up very, very quickly? (points to anyone who gets the anti-bogan slur in that!)
What is wrong with you?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Um, have you been to Tamworth?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I spend a couple of days a week in Wollongong. Yes, it's full of bogans. As for the university itself, not as much, I'd assume.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Towner: Lots of things. Countless things. And it's a serious question because as a person who knows someone else going to UoW - I feel I have a personal investment in their safety.

Ebony: No, but that's where they hold the Country Music Festival I believe. Lots of bogans there, I assume?

UncoKane: Full of bogans. Great. So... hypothetically speaking - if I liked a girl who goes there, I'd lose her to the bogan hoardes with their so-called "glamourous" assortment of "fun" activities that include group sex, smoking, drugs and pregnancy. Correct?

I'm just a bit worried right now.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
UncoKane: Full of bogans. Great. So... hypothetically speaking - if I liked a girl who goes there, I'd lose her to the bogan hoardes with their so-called "glamourous" assortment of "fun" activities that include group sex, smoking, drugs and pregnancy. Correct?
No. What the actual fuck

Kralex

HSC
Wollongong university is about the most culturally diverse uni in Australia. More Muslims than most unis apart from UWS so BOS probably won't like it.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Towner: Lots of things. Countless things. And it's a serious question because as a person who knows someone else going to UoW - I feel I have a personal investment in their safety.

Ebony: No, but that's where they hold the Country Music Festival I believe. Lots of bogans there, I assume?

I'm just a bit worried right now.
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Wollongong is fine, and trust me I'd know.

I live in the southern suburbs of Sydney, and I travelled down to Smith's Hill High School(the best school like ever) in the centre of Wollongong.

I actually grew to love some parts of the gong. It's an awesome place. Sure there are some bogans but no more than Sydney.

The uni is a great place. So don't fret Shadow.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Good, good... so it's fine. That's good because I usually holiday down there at the Novotel - and I was like, "WHAT!? Is there some seedy underbelly I don't know about?!" But now apparently there isn't. Which is good.

So the next time I'll see her she'll be happily married to some youth ministry preacher guy and they'll have fun learning about the Bible and... discussing religion and preaching the good word to everyone and inducting their children with how to live a good Christian life. I suppose I could accept that...

Though - to my credit, the last time a Bible clue came up in Jeopardy! - I got the $1000 clue. After Trebek finished reading it, I was like: "WHAT IS NUMBERS?!" and the girl who was dealing with the clue waited ten seconds and managed to say "What is... Exodus????" before the time limit. I was very happy. /me nods

Now I just have to deal with topics such as Art, Modern Literature, Geography and Business and then I'll be reeling in the Coryat. And French too - they seem to like chucking alot of French categories on Jeopardy!...

But I digress.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Wollongong is fine, and trust me I'd know.

I live in the southern suburbs of Sydney, and I travelled down to Smith's Hill High School(the best school like ever) in the centre of Wollongong.

I actually grew to love some parts of the gong. It's an awesome place. Sure there are some bogans but no more than Sydney.

The uni is a great place. So don't fret Shadow.
You went to Smith's Hill? That's a hell of a trek.

Sure there are some bogans, but there are bogans everywhere. Wollongong is a great place.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
You went to Smith's Hill? That's a hell of a trek.
Yeh, but only for year 12, so it wasn't too bad. It's probably the same if I were to go to a similar school in the CBD. About an hour and 10 min each way

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yah, it definitely is fine. I've grown up in Wollongong... yes there are bogans in the city but they provide free entertainment on the shuttle bus so hey, who can complain? You find them everywhere. I wouldn't call it the most bogan capital, though it would probably score a 3 star rating in the GBG (Good Bogans Guide)..
*EDIT: maybe 4*

The city itself is nice, it has a relaxed pace unlike Sydney, but then again it depends on what you're looking for. UOW is a good uni, though their excessive bonus points and early entry schemes and bright! colourful! pamphlets! do make them appear a little desperate for students. But everyone I know who goes there has had positive experiences, so don't be concerned for your friend. We're not a different breed down here or anything! D,:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ah yes, that shuttle bus. I remember going on it and then it stopped at the uni and everyone except me got off. I felt very... insecure at that point.

Still, bogans are everywhere as you say. That I'll agree with. I agree the city is nice, has a nice aura - and I haven't heard of their excessive bonus points. Though I have been the recipient of their very nice bright colourful pamphlets! I really would've gone there if it wasn't too far away from home and if they offered the course I wanted. They ooze this aura of friendly - I even got a call from their Head of Maths!

I probably shouldn't be too concerned though - as you say, you're not a different breed down there (I know from first hand experience which up until now have refused to acknowledge) and I suppose I'm not taking into account their own natural ability to fend for themselves.

Off topic:

Still, if internet advice veers off course and I "don't find a girl that will blow every other girl you've ever met in high school out of the water within the first week" and I do that for the five years that is my course - I sincerely hope that she doesn't end up married or engaged or dating or something like that... so I may live out the life that I've portrayed in many of my short stories which always seem to veer into the topics: "how awesome love is" and "how amazing it is to be with someone you love". <_<

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I was considering going to UOW for the friendliness. It's sort of like, if you get a good atar and you go there you're really valued and respected, whereas at Sydney you're just part of the crowd. That's how I felt anyway. I had a wad of papers and letters and offers and incentives and scratch and sniffs (yes, they went there) from UOW, and one single letter from USyd... inviting me to info day. THAT IS ALL FML -___-

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Yeah I was considering going to UOW for the friendliness. It's sort of like, if you get a good atar and you go there you're really valued and respected, whereas at Sydney you're just part of the crowd. That's how I felt anyway. I had a wad of papers and letters and offers and incentives and scratch and sniffs (yes, they went there) from UOW, and one single letter from USyd... inviting me to info day. THAT IS ALL FML -___-
I swear to god that scratch and sniff made my room smell like an asian grocery store for like a week...

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Yeh, but only for year 12, so it wasn't too bad. It's probably the same if I were to go to a similar school in the CBD. About an hour and 10 min each way
Fair enough then. I've got a couple of friends there, however I never bothered to sit the test to go because I had no interest.

Ah yes, that shuttle bus. I remember going on it and then it stopped at the uni and everyone except me got off. I felt very... insecure at that point.

Still, bogans are everywhere as you say. That I'll agree with. I agree the city is nice, has a nice aura - and I haven't heard of their excessive bonus points.
Hahaha I've also been on the shuttle bus with a friend when everyone got off but us, is kind of awkward.

For their bonus points, you can get up to 6 and then more of you were disadvantaged during your HSC, so it's a fair few.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Asian grocery store?! What that scratch-'n-sniff was awesome! Mine had a strawberry scent. It was very refreshing... now if I remembered where I put it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)