Wollongong - What is it like? (1 Viewer)

eproe01

HSC
So I am about to move down to Wollongong from Sydney and I just want to know a bit about the area.

What are some good pubs to go to? (which ones are more frequented by uni/young people?)

Is there a scene for art/music?

What is the best beach/area of the beach?

What is the general vibe like?

Anything else about Wollongong that is pretty fantastic?

I am pretty laid back and I love the outdoors so I am pretty sure it is going to suit me well but I just wanted to know a little bit more before I bail on Sydney.

Thanks

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So I am about to move down to Wollongong from Sydney and I just want to know a bit about the area.

What are some good pubs to go to? (which ones are more frequented by uni/young people?)
Grand is the main one. It's got an indoor and outdoor area, and is one of the bigger ones. Start the night here. Castros is the one people end up at after 1am, because it's got later closing times.

Little Prince is more relaxed, cocktail-type bar. Yours & Ours is a coffee-house/bar with live music and stuff.

There's also Glasshouse, Illawarra and 151 as more general ones. Nothing overly special here.

Hostage and Fever have the real nightclub feel to them. More city style feel, but aren't usually a first choice among groups.

Is there a scene for art/music?
Yes, there's a few different places for live music. Yours & Owls is the main one in town, but there's other stuff around. UniBar always has stuff going on. There's a few gallaries around, and there's a decent circus type atmosphere as well (Beach firetwirling for example). There's also the IPAC and the uni for theatre.

What is the best beach/area of the beach?
Check them all out. Everyone whose into the beach has a different favourite. North beach is probably one to start with, but there's a lot of choice.

What is the general vibe like?
Pretty chill. A nice mix of city and country feel. It's got the trappings of both.

Anything else about Wollongong that is pretty fantastic?

I am pretty laid back and I love the outdoors so I am pretty sure it is going to suit me well but I just wanted to know a little bit more before I bail on Sydney.

Thanks
Free bus system is pretty sweet. There's a lot of different stuff going on, you've just got to find it and get involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)