UoW Scholars Program? (1 Viewer)

himynameisbrody

HSC
Hey, I just got a call from one of the proffessors of the engineering faculty at uow. He basically said to me that if I make uow my first uac preference (its currently second behind UNSW engineering), that they could offer me entry into the course I wanted and be part of the scholars program. Is anyone on here part of the Engineering Scholars Program or now enough about it to tell me the benefits/what it is like etc.
Thanks

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I've talked in-person to the sub-dean who is in charge of the scholars program.

Basically he said that the benefits of the program are:

a) it looks good on your transcript
b) greater flexibility in what you get to study i.e. you have the opportunity to substitute normal subjects with research subjects
c) more research opportunities in general
d) $500 annual textbook scholarship

So how come you got a phone call?

kennyb22

HSC
I also got a call from the Dean of UoW for my Comp Sci course (it was my last choice, UNSW was first).
It was unexpected and I've never heard of it... regardless leaving Sydney and UNSW for UoW seems like a stretch eh.

himynameisbrody

HSC
I've talked in-person to the sub-dean who is in charge of the scholars program.

Basically he said that the benefits of the program are:

a) it looks good on your transcript
b) greater flexibility in what you get to study i.e. you have the opportunity to substitute normal subjects with research subjects
c) more research opportunities in general
d) $500 annual textbook scholarship

So how come you got a phone call?
Im guessing I got a phone call upon reading my hsc results and realising UoW was my second preference. (even though my ATAR was only 90.75, i went alright in maths, ext1 and physics).
So this program isnt a hugely awesome thing? Im really considering changing to UoW because of it (either way I have to move 5 hours from home), and because of the fact that UNSW living is so much more expensive

kennyb22

HSC
Im guessing I got a phone call upon reading my hsc results and realising UoW was my second preference. (even though my ATAR was only 90.75, i went alright in maths, ext1 and physics).
So this program isnt a hugely awesome thing? Im really considering changing to UoW because of it (either way I have to move 5 hours from home), and because of the fact that UNSW living is so much more expensive
I posted a thread on Whirlpool asking the same thing (forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2029324), there might be some informative responses there (none so far heh).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)