Psychology at UOW (1 Viewer)

dbol

HSC
Hey Guys,

So I want to do psychology in some form next year and I can't find much about UOW's psych program. Can anyone tell me what it's like or point me in the right direction at least? I won't get the 98 or 97 atar for psych at sydney or UNSW hahah but UNSW has a course called psychological science which from what i can tell is similar to a BPsych so I'm kinda tossing up between that and UOW BPsych.

Thanks! :)

Redchucks

HSC
Im looking at the exact same degree and tossing up between the two as well!

dbol

HSC
What are you thinking of at the moment? I'm more looking at wollongong just because of the accommodation there and its a bit closer to home too, but I don't know how the degrees are different really so I don't know how to make that choice based on them hahah

Redchucks

HSC
same I'm looking more into wollongong because it will be closer to home its like a 45 minute drive from my place. i have been calling up both universities and the degrees are not that different. you can get accredited with both degrees. i guess if your final aim is to become a clinical psychologist the best idea would be to me to go to uow because the competition will be significantly lower as you will only be competing against b psych, b sci (psyc) and b arts (psyc) whereas with unsw you will be competing with 7 courses and they only take about 7o students into the honours stream from what i have heard. I'm still heavily undecided i think I'm going to to Open day tomorrow at unsw to get more information. have you considered uws?

dbol

HSC
I'm not too sure where I want to take it - whether it's clinical or otherwise, but I agree with you on the less competition thing. I talked to the school psychologist who did BPsych at uow (a while ago now, but she's still in contact with people down there etc.) and she said the course is really good down there and there's a lot of really good research stuff going on down there too. I think i'm going to the open day tomorrow too, so hopefully thatll clear it up a bit. I haven't really considered uws at all tbh, a few people said to me that it's not that great.

Redchucks

HSC
Thats pretty interesting, i wasn't aware of the research down there i thought it would be more heavily reliant on practical. but thats great i guess the research path will open up new scopes haha. the only thing that I'm worried about with uow is that if i make links within Wollongong both job wise and social life wise it will be a huge hassle going form sydney down to wollongong everyday. but i guess that can be easily fixed by moving down there. from what I've heard from a few people that do it there (uws) is that its not that bad as people say. it has a small cohort so it feels more like high school but other than that its not that bad, but i guess each to their own haha some people who went there also hate it so yeah. I'm still undecided and yeah i guess open day tomorrow will clear it up! maybe ill bump into you somehow haha

dbol

HSC
haha yeah, exactly, and im pretty sure that all unis would have at least some sort of research program going. I know what you mean, but I think I'm just going to live down there, for 1st year at least. haha yeah i guess each to their own, I dont really know. I didnt end up going haha how was it?

Redchucks

HSC
it was surprisingly very good! i fell in love with the uni the lecture halls and the teachers! everyone was really friendly and all the lectures seemed so knowledgeable and were showing us all their research! i wish UOW had an open day so i could go check that out as well :/ but it was really good and very insightful. basically you can go any courses and major in psych have have an equal chance of getting into honours as a psych person at UNSW. i think I'm going to apply for UNSW. oh and there was free fairy floss ^^

lollipops2182

HSC
University of Newcastle students only need an ATAR of 75 to get into the Bachelor of Psychology course. I know it's a bit further but you can almost guarantee acceptance - plus they take around 300 students into Psychology as well.

fifi89

HSC
Hi guys,

I teach psychology at UOW and I am also a practising psychologist and current PhD student. I did both my Honours and Clinical Masters degrees at UOW. If you have any specific questions about psych at UOW (or even studying or working in the field in general), fire away and I would be happy to do my best to answer them.

dbol

HSC
Hi guys,

I teach psychology at UOW and I am also a practising psychologist and current PhD student. I did both my Honours and Clinical Masters degrees at UOW. If you have any specific questions about psych at UOW (or even studying or working in the field in general), fire away and I would be happy to do my best to answer them.
Hey :)
I was just wondering how easy it is to transfer to the B.Psych course from the B.Science (Psychology)? I'm right on the edge of last years cutoff for psych so that's what I'm thinking I might have to do. And what's the difference between the two courses also? Are they much the same, or quite different?
Thanks!

Mutant Kitty

HSC
Tbh Psych is a silly idea unless in a double degree... When around 50% of people with a degree in it are employed, it is hardly worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)