thinking of going to the gong next year (1 Viewer)

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
hi everyone..
i'm a year 12 student in sydney, and am thinking about coming down to wollongong next year for uni. I'd probably live down there... so does anyone know what the accomodation down there is like... is it easier to go through the uni or through a real estate?... if anyone could give me any kind of info.. that'd be tops!

suz

HSC
um, hey good to hear ur thinking of going to uow, u won't regret it! ;)
what course u thinkin of doin???
um i'm from sydney too and I drive down 4 times a week
Travelling is a bitch but u get used to it afta a while, car pooling is the way to go!
I've heard that International House is one of the best accomodations in the sense that it is the most modern and the 'party' deck
Check the website, but if I were u at this stage i would b looking at campus accomodation especially if u r from sydney n aren't too familiar with the gong
Moving out of home is bad enough but especially when u rnt familiar with ur surroundings, its bad
Off memory spark moved out and I *think* lives in an apartment close by, he is probably the guy u want 2 b talking to

speed_bump

invalid
hey, yer like suz said, go for on campus accomadation..... its way easier to organise and u get to meet heaps of new people. But remember apply as soon as possible cos the places fill up hell fast. I left it too late and still thought going through real estate would be easy....but it isnt... i had to stay at a few dodgy places and only recently found one livable place only to end up moving out again recently. And even though it seems cheaper to go through a real estate it ends up just been as expensive with things like bonds, furniture, transport and food and all sorts of other shit. i recomend going on campus then once ya find some "good" friends, find a place with them.
international and werona collages are the best...

spark

Hey Nessie!

Yea, like suz said, I'm living in a shared flat near the uni (a 4 minute drive awayyy). I did originally apply for a spot on-campus but they were gone like hot cakes. I recommend you apply a.s.a.p if you want to live on campus because if you're late, they give preference to international or rural students.

I guess the real advantage of living on-campus is an awesome social life and you will meet a good group of people (not to mention drinking buddies). IMO, on-campus accomodation is more expensive as opposed to private living. I'm sharing a flat with a mate at the moment and while on-campus accomodation is about $200-$240 a week (single room only), my expenses all up is about $120-$140 at most. Off-campus living is a more independent and recluse style of living and ended up being the better choice for me. And the social life ain't bad either - North Gong pub, the Illawarra, Rustys, Bourbon, Glasshouse, the beach etc are all in walking distance from where I am.

The best campuses are Weerona and I-House but spots there a really limited so think fast. Campus West has more room, but looks daunting.. but even my mate reckons he's at a resort every single day. lol Richard something College is the most expensive of the four main uni places but they do have a nice place there (and the pub is just down the road!).

If you're coming from Sydney.. I'd recommend not to commute every day because it is tiring or move out 2nd semester or 2nd year.

spark

Add: If you would like to go through the real estate, check out the student services centre at the uni. All the real estates fax all available places in the area to the centre and it's put on a big notice board where you can contact the proper people. Generally, finding a place should not be a problem. There's plenty of variety.. but I recommend you spend alot of time checking out different places so that you do feel comfortable, it's affordable and provides easy access to everything.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
There is also lots of accomodation around the uni (around $80-$100 a week).

but you have to cook food yourself learn to share a house with lots of strangers.

spark

@santa: lol. Nono.. about when HSC results come out - maybe a few weeks before then if you can.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
see santa? look at how you type! "LolZ...okaies!" No wonder I mistook you for a girl! :p

santaslayer

HSC
Can't guyz talk liek taht ?...LoLz

hehe

I mean...im just sooo totally koolies when i talk liek tahtz! wouldnt you agree gal? :p

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'm not saying that guys don't talk like that. I'm just saying that guys USUALLY don't :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
if i keep replying than this will just be spam so I won't :D

santaslayer

HSC
...u just did...:rofl:

but thats ok, once i become MOD in this forum and the legal studies forum (and eventually the whole froum, even Laz will be eradicated :p) i will still spare ur measly life :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
...u just did...:rofl:

but thats ok, once i become MOD in this forum and the legal studies forum (and eventually the whole froum, even Laz will be eradicated :p) i will still spare ur measly life :p
santa, you are at risk of becoming a *girl04* at the moment so I wouldn't talk :p

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
santa, you are at risk of becoming a *girl04* at the moment so I wouldn't talk :p
:rofl:

why are you even in MY forum?...u and Ziff seem to be eavesdropping on us UOW intellects...just because we rulz! LoLz :D

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Liek SaNta iz liek toTaOlly a GuY!!!!!!111```... GaL????/// PffFt

But back on topic. Where abouts in the city? Because if you can travel by car and also have access, you can usually try and base your timetable around the train timetable and for the days you can't, you drive... it's not that bad because most of the time you're going against peak hour traffic which means its a pretty cruisy trip and you get used to it. I drive 2 days a week but for my first semester I was heading to UOW 4 times a week and you just got used to it....

Although the best investment I made was a CD player for the car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)