Quick questions about the commerce and law teachers and classes at UOW? (1 Viewer)

guinea pigs

HSC
I got into UOW Law/Commerce through Early Admission, but will still be considering other options depending on my atar.

Just want to clarify a few questions?

- What are the teachers like? The guy who was interviewing me, who was from the law faculty, seemed really qualified and knowledgeable from the looks of things. He was also really nice, and so I'd hope I got a teacher like that. Do the teachers tend to be good?
- How big are the classes? I know in Wollongong the law classes tend to be smaller than the ones up in Sydney because the university is only moderate sized, which is something that I like. I would just like to know a rough estimate of the class sizes n the commerce and law degrees and if you tend to get to know most people or what.

Thanks ^^

Levity

HSC
Congratulations I got into Law too! Here is a survey I found you might find interesting, a student satisfaction survey.
http://survivelaw.com/images/survey/2013/reports/alsss_2013_uow.pdf
I have good things about class sizes, my interviewer said Maximum 40 in a tutorial, although lectures will be quite large.
In law I hear all classes are held with the same group your 'pod' and these people do a lot of group activities and studying together.
Tutorials are held in the classrooms we were interviewed in and the lectures in a giant curved auditorium that seats several hundred.
An interesting fact in there is 65.5% of students were female, which I noticed in the interview. Looks like I will be in the minority.

Last edited:

Levity

HSC
Here are some comments from the survey I found of particular interest to you.
Question 41: What do you like best about your law school and why?
-The Faculty is very engaged with its students. Lecturers and tutors are approachable and demonstrate a
willingness to assist in any way they can. The administrative staff within the Faculty are also incredibly helpful
-Small classes so we are always able to ask questions and ensure we understand everything, and the tutors
know all of our names.
-PODS - First years get placed in groups and have all their classes together for the first year. Was a great way to
make new friends.
-It's relatively young so it is growing and that is exciting to see. There is a significant focus on practical legal
skills such as drafting, client interviewing and dispute resolution which employers have found attractive. My
lecturers have always been fantastic.
-It has good facilities and is quite supportive of its students. The teachers are always willing to help and are
supportive. The social activities are well organised and fun.

Question 42: What about your law school would you most like to see improved and why?
-The stigma attached to feelings of anxiety and stress by students. While students generally support each other,
there is an underlying tendency for students to be reluctant to admit when they are struggling due to the
perception of being judged by their peers.
-Communication with the law student body regarding major changes to the structure of the law school or
programs offered.
-Student support, better resources for extra-curricular and competitions, better teacher organisation and
coordination of subjects, more chances for teacher and subject review.
-More and better electives. There was only one elective I was interested in in spring session.

Last edited:

Levity

HSC
Ignore the comment about lectures not being able to be viewed online as they now upload them for people unable to attend.

Focus is Key

HSC
Hi, I'm a current law student and member of the UOWLSS (UOW Law Student Society), so I'll do my best to answer your law-related questions:

a) What are the teachers like? The majority of teachers I've had are well-qualified and excellent. Some particuarly good ones to look out for are John Littrich, Sandra Noakes, Julia Quilter, Trish Mundy and Karina Murray who I've had and are all excellent. To be honest I've only really had about 2-3 truly 'bad' teachers but the clear majority for law have been good. You're in good hands.
b) How big are the classes? Classes are usually around 20-25 people so really the same numbers that you would have probably had during your school classes. Of course lectures will have a couple of hundred students but tutorials are in manageable sizes. For the first semester you are in a pod of around 20-25 students and you attend each of your classes together under a set timetable. After that, it's a free for all in terms of selecting classes.

Congrats on receiving Early Admission!

Feel free to ask me anything else about the law degree :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)