Queer Week? (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Is today the gaybo week? Why am I seeing so many gaybo posters and signs? What is that petition thingy on the desk? Why dosen't anyone sign it? Why do we have a Queer Space? Is it an area where all the gaybos go to seek refuge? How many homosexuals are in our uni? I don't have a problem with gays and am quite comfortable when around them but why is there such a big fuss about them today? Why don't we have a hetrosexual day where we can have sex with anyone we want @ uni?

Please answer these questions. I'm bored and curious.
Do we have any queer people on this board? gmraso? :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Let's all celebrate fringe groups! Yay!

How about an extremist Asian Pride week headed by a Santaslayer float?

HSC
santaslayer said:
Is today the gaybo week? Why am I seeing so many gaybo posters and signs? What is that petition thingy on the desk? Why dosen't anyone sign it? Why do we have a Queer Space? Is it an area where all the gaybos go to seek refuge? How many homosexuals are in our uni? I don't have a problem with gays and am quite comfortable when around them but why is there such a big fuss about them today? Why don't we have a hetrosexual day where we can have sex with anyone we want @ uni?

Please answer these questions. I'm bored and curious.
Do we have any queer people on this board? gmraso? :p
I was under the impression we already had a queer space, the petitions are for a "SAFE QUEER SPACE". In one of the previous terts I had the misfortune of reading the sexuality officer reported that he had purchased a filing cabinet and desk for this area, so either it already exists or they were purchasing pre-emptively (Rendering the petition redundant seeing as they already seem to think it's going to happen, if they were indeed stocking up for it in advance).

I don't see why we need a "SAFE QUEER SPACE" anyway, as far as I know there are no gay bashings on campus, and if there are then it reflects poorly upon the individuals involved and not the wider community, who I'd like to assume are a little more open-minded than that.

I got here today and was also a little surprised by all the signs. I find it all makes me feel a little dirty being a student here. I'm all for the right to free speech, and certainly have no problem with homosexuality.

What really bothers me though is that the signs aren't particularly enlightening, encouraging or even that positive. Everybody is aware that there are gay students around, I don't think we need signs hanging from every second tree to remind us. It makes the place look like a hippy colony.

"Gay people, not not normal, just not as common" - Wow, thanks for the tip, and what a beautiful adornment for the wall.

I've got red hair, and I've noticed that getting around the campus there are a few other people who do too. Rather than give people credit for having brains and assume that they've noticed this fact, maybe I should make some signs "PEOPLE WITH RED HAIR ARE PEOPLE TOO!" ;) I'm all for equality, but what gives, I don't see signs up everywhere about every other special-interest group/ minority/ whatever on campus (And I certainly don't want to).

I wonder what they make visitors to the campus think? If you were indeed homosexual and considering attending the University, would they make you feel reassured and safe, knowing that someone was fighting for your rights by hanging a pretty rainbow flag on walls?

Personally, I think they'd make me feel more than a little concerned at why exactly they needed to be there, it makes it sound like UoW is gay-bashing central or something. The number of signs around the place make it look like it's a huge problem, and I really fail to see how it is (Personally, I'm not gay, but I would think that something significant enough to justify so much of an issue being made out of it would not escape my attention anyway).

Summing up, it's plain stupid, I've not encountered any overt anti-homosexuality within the University, and as I said in the event that it has happened then it's an issue to be taken up with the individuals involved, not the wider campus. In my opinion the signs detract significantly from the overall aesthetic appeal of the campus, send a dubious message, and don't really serve any purpose apart from inspiring a (not so) mild annoyance (on my part at least) at their existence.

Edit: Sorry, bit of a rant, they've been bugging me all day, and besides, excellent procrastination, I'm meant to be working on an essay at the moment you see ;)

christ

HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently the current queer space is subject to flooding, and so a SAFE queer space means not safe from gay bashing peers, but from the rain.

HSC
christ said:
Apparently the current queer space is subject to flooding, and so a SAFE queer space means not safe from gay bashing peers, but from the rain.
So is half the uni last I looked :S

maybe they should replace SAFE QUEER SPACE on their petition with "MORE DRAINAGE ON CAMPUS" and not play the sexuality card at all?

Still doesn't explain all the bloody flags though...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Hmm... 'Queers for drainage!', 'More holes, less overflow!'... and so on...

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Anyone who uses IRC knows how I feel about people who think they're in a downtrodden minority and resort to telling everyone else about it in the form of a week long waste of time at uni. The only special weeks I've seen this year that actually made the uni a more positive place are orientation week, and International week. Why these two? They're useful towards the University itself. Orientation week aquaints students with their new uni so they can quickly and easily without hassle settle in for a nice few years of money spending. International week promotes cultural understanding in a country that is very international itself. The better relations our university has with a foreign country, the more students will want to go there, the more money the uni will get, and better facilities will be provided.

All these other weeks are a waste of time by a group of whingers who feel they're downtrodden members of society. To put it in a [somewhat] tactful manner, people are suffering cancer, HIV/AIDS, divorce, death, depression etc, they commendingly take the hand they're dealt and try their hardest to get on with their life, why can't we all just do the same?

As omgzergrush (I love typing that, it takes me back to the day) put it, they're not really positively promoting anything if such weeks are needed to exist. The best promotion for "womens rights" or "queer acceptance" is to just leave the student body be. If someone has a problem with women out of the kitchen, or gay people, then these groups forcing their respective agenda down said person's throat will only make it worse. That person will emerge with a stronger feeling on "women's rights" and "queer acceptance" and because of that, these groups have failed. If someone acts on their chauvenist or anti-gay instinct, then apart from being an uberfucktard, the problem is there for the respectable bodies (such as the police in cases of bashings) to take care of, not the entire student body.

Ninga

HSC
The queer space isnt on campus, its like across the road near the bookshop, and u need some special password to get in, or thats what i hear anyways ;) Think they had some emails going around about on the EAC mailing list, which im on for some bizarre reason, i think one of my friends put my email down on it just to piss me off, but its been interesting seeing the dregs of shit they come up with, as i've posted before, ie womens week. Sorry chicks :p

I aint seen no gays making out on the lawn yet, so whether it is or isn't gay week is debatable. Mind you, i haven't even seen the signage yet. Guess i should venture down towards the unibar/SRC area more.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Ninga said:
The queer space isnt on campus, its like across the road near the bookshop, and u need some special password to get in, or thats what i hear anyways ;) Think they had some emails going around about on the EAC mailing list, which im on for some bizarre reason, i think one of my friends put my email down on it just to piss me off, but its been interesting seeing the dregs of shit they come up with, as i've posted before, ie womens week. Sorry chicks :p

I aint seen no gays making out on the lawn yet, so whether it is or isn't gay week is debatable. Mind you, i haven't even seen the signage yet. Guess i should venture down towards the unibar/SRC area more.
lol, the signage is everywhere.....

christ

HSC
Uni Grad
Ziff said:
Let's all celebrate fringe groups! Yay!

How about an extremist Asian Pride week headed by a Santaslayer float?
My econ tut - thirteen out of the sixteen students are Asian.

Fringe group.... HAHAHAHA ;)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
'Bash Hippy Extremists with a Shovel Week' anyone?

It could really take off I think.

Ninga

HSC
poloktim said:
'Bash Hippy Extremists with a Shovel Week' anyone?

It could really take off I think.
Come on, its all a bit irrational isn't it. Deep down, all fags, dykes on bikes, and hippy extremists are real people, they have feelings, and they love. So lets show them some love by not kicking their asses, and let them celebrate their fucking gayness through their signage and bullcrap propaganda. Sorry, i contradict myself a lot there....i think they just want people to be more tolerant, but possibly in retrospect, they will find that they will get that through not being in your face as much, we know fags and muff lickers exist, we dont need it shoved in our faces. So yeah, lets learn to be humans, and not be as bad as the homosexuals, because, in the end, we all are the same, we have love for one another, some of us just don't like to make our exit holes an entry hole, aiight. I love Ali G. Example of love for another man. But i wouldn't bed him. So, be nice to gaybos. U never know one might bail u out of shit.

santaslayer

HSC
Funniest thing ever:

I was @ the unibar playing cards with some friends whilst the internationals were queueing up for their free BBQs.....one of the people serving, (who was obviously gay) started shouting "Celebrate your homosexuality everyone, homosexuals rock!".....the queue for the line just seemed to gradually disappear...:p

Ninga

HSC
Check this email that landed in my inbox with regards to queer week. Come on, wheres the tolerance. Wheres the love? Peace out.

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:21:22 +1000
Subject: [womynscollective] homophobic gong
To: wollongong_allsorts@yahoogroups.com, nbl_rebel@yahoogroups.com, national_women@yahoogroups.com, reps@src.uow.edu.au, queer_Friendly@yahoogroups.com, womynscollective@yahoogroups.com.au, nsw_qsn@yahoogroups.com, nus_queer@yahoogroups.com

Homophobia rampant in Wollongong

I just wanted to give a run down on what has been happening in
wollongong for the duration of sexuality week (this week). We are
currently running a campaign to obtain a new queer space for students
because our current space is unsafe (due to flooding, harassment).

As part of this campaign we have placed petition tables around campus –
over seven signed originals of the petitions have been stolen and many
have been defaced with extreme homophobic statements like “DIE FAGS” –
another comment says “why special treatment for such a small minority?
Why not a puppy appreciation space?”

We had 14 banners in total. On Monday 7 banners were stolen. Monday
night we had a banner bonanza and produced 8 new banners so we could
come back stronger and more visible.Our Queer Rep Daniel Brown has been
verbally abused on numerous occasions throughout the week.

Today as I was setting up our sea of smut (double sided posters on
skewers that we stick in the ground around the lawns) two men walked
directly past me and succeeded to kick and stomp on every poster near
them. I followed them to ask them if they wanted to talk about
anything. As I did this I called out to Daniel Brown to alert security
and saying I would stay with the men so we could identify them to
security, as their aggressive actions would probably lead to our
recovering our previously stolen banners.

The two men found two other men to walk away with. As I followed the
four men away debating them one by one people from the queer collective
begun to follow us to ensure my safety. Then other queer friendly
people begun to follow us as well.

I followed the men debating with them for 45minutes. At no point did
either of the men who kicked and stomped on the banners address me –
they relied entirely on other people to defend them and could not face
me to discuss the issue.
One of the women from the queer collective knew one of the kickers by
their full name.
Daniel by this time had returned to the group to inform us that
security were too busy to attend and identify the perpetrators despite
their knowledge of previous homophobic attacks throughout the week and
year. The men eventually found some of their allies – extreme
christians.

From this week people in our queer collectives have been having vicious
nightmares of people attacking, stabbing and burning them. Partially
due to an incident involving a woman from the queer collective being
trapped in the queer space earlier this year by a man threatening to
burn her to death due to her sexuality.

We really need your support for a safe space for queers on campus.
You can help by-
Coming to our action tomorrow in Wollongong at 1:00pm (you need to get
off at north Wollongong station)
Writing a letter of solidarity (for a new safe queer space) and sending
it as a fax to 02 4221 4233
Or sending a solidarity email to media@src.uow.edu.au

Or sending an email to our vice chancellor Gerard Sutton -
gerard@uow.edu.au

Or head of Security: David Anderson - davida@uow.edu.au

Security Supervisor: Graham Parsons- gparsons@uow.edu.au

University Security contact: security@uow.edu.au

These replies are urgently needed in our campaign for a safe space for
queers on campus. Unite with us in this cause....please.

annaliese constable
women’s representative – allsorts queer collective.
0400 214 203
02 4221 5456
media@src.uow.edu.au

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Haha, which of the email addresses apply to you?

The best way for them to get acknowledgement and understanding is to have them all learn how to take people down with one finger. That poor defenseless girl could've easily burnt her aggressor and even eaten him if she so desired if she was a keen fighter.

Who was on the duck pond lawn today when they were giving their "heartfelt" speeches?

Ninga

HSC
None of those. Someone off one of those groups forwarded it through the EAC mailing list, which stands for education something something.

HSC
"Our Queer Rep Daniel Brown" isn't he a sexuality officer? I thought that included either homosexual or non-homosexual sexuality? WHY THE HATE:L I feel discriminated against.

"From this week people in our queer collectives have been having vicious
nightmares of people attacking, stabbing and burning them. Partially
due to an incident involving a woman from the queer collective being
trapped in the queer space earlier this year by a man threatening to
burn her to death due to her sexuality."

What the fuck? I'm shit out of words, have a fucking cry. Maybe they can put a dreamcatcher up in their queer space to ward off the evil spirits and make it safe place.

If you know the signs bother people, why put them up? I realise they're trying to further their own agenda, but when that contrasts with the agendas of other people on campus, I think we're all best off to shut the fuck up, do our own shit, and not try to stick it in everyone else's face.

I sense distinct discrimination in the line 'The men eventually found some of their allies – extreme christians.', each group has their own points of view, in this case it looks to me like the agitators are the people putting signs up which obviously distresses these 'extreme christians'. With no signs, there'd have been no sign kicking over. It's not realistic to expect that you're ever going to convince everyone on campus that your way is the right way, or even an acceptable way, in reference to sexuality, religion, or anything else, so why bother trying?

I don't really see a problem with the christians deciding that they don't want these signs all over the campus, it's not really any different to the (hmn, what to call this group, 'extreme queers' seems like a reasonable parallel to 'extreme christians') extreme queers deciding they want signs up all over the place, neither of them is really in a position where they can dictate what is and isn't appropriate to display around the campus.

I'm not sure if kicking them over is a valid way to deal with it, but I think it's preferable to them putting up their own signs that say gay people are going to hell.

Coexisting isn't really about proving to everyone else that you have a valid cause, in my opinion, it's about shutting the fuck up and getting on with your own shit. If problems arise at an individual level (such as with the person who harrassed the other person in the queer space), then it should be dealt with at that level, rather than by carpeting the campus in banners.

I would assume that the majority of the people seeing these banners and flags day in and day out have no problem at all with homosexuality, I certainly know it doesn't bother me a bit. Why subject the entire campus to this overt stupidity when the people who need to be getting the message are a distinct minority?

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of that letter. I don't have a problem with gays, but I fucking hate whining sacks of shit, and that's all the individuals involved in this horseshit are being (I assume that not all the homosexual community feel as threatened as these poor traumatised souls).

Edit: Post probably sounds a bit harsh, normally I try to maintain a reasonable level of language but this has pissed me off all week, so I figure it's time to let rip. I assure you I have no problem with homosexuals doing their thing, but uni pisses me off enough as is, and bullshit hippy flags don't make it any better. If you don't like anything I've said, go put up some signs.

Extra: I hope the circus only comes to town once this year :(

Ninga

HSC
I thought security saying they were busy was a bit harsh. I never seem them busy. They're either riding around, talking on their walkie talkies, sitting around in their offices, or giving parking tickets. Guess they didnt wanna deal with any trouble of the gay sort.

Ninga

HSC
Further developments. Good stuff. Well, not good stuff. But, enjoy the read. The things that end up in my inbox, i tell you...

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:45:11 +1000
Subject: Queer Students still locked in after 18 hours
To: wollongong@conway.cat.org.au

UoW Student Representative Council Media Release

Queer Students still locked in after 18 hours

A group of 16 angry queer and queer friendly students
occupied the Belmore room at the University of Wollongong
yesterday afternoon. Now a group of 8 the students have been
in the room for 18 hours and have received no formal response
from the University Administration.

"We are determined to extract a written commitment from the
university in response to our demands for a safe space on
campus", said Annaliese Constable, women's representative for
the Allsorts collective. "We believe that the levels
homophobia and the fear that many queer students feel on
campus is just unacceptable", said Daniel Brown, the queer
representative at Wollongong Uni.

The occupying students have taken this action in response to
a spate of homophobic attacks during the annual sexuality
week; a week organised by the queer collective and funded by
the Student Representative Council to celebrate sexuality,
promote diversity compassion and acceptance

Instead members of allsorts have been faced with verbal
abuse, vandalism, stolen banners and defaced or stolen
petitions often with comments like "DIE FAGS". Homophobic
abuse, harassment and threats have been a regular occurrence
at Wollongong University but these have generally gone
unreported. However, since an incident earlier this year that
involved a lone female student trapped in the queer space by
a man who threatened to burn her to death, Allsorts have made
an effort to report threats and harassment to university
security.

Some of the students' demands include regular security patrol
of the safe space, relocation to the main campus, disabled
access and compliance with health and safety standards.
Students are also demanding that the university demonstrate a
commitment to address rampant homophobia on campus.

The Vice Chancellor’s office is yet to respond but could not
avoid being well aware of these issues, having received
almost forty faxed and emailed messages from concerned queer
students and collectives from around Australia in the last
week.

Media Enquiries:

Annaliese Constable Daniel Brown
0400 214 203 0408 620 370

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)