About the Uni!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
Hey, i just got a guarenteed entry into Wollongong uni for Population Health and I am so excited!!!! i've wanted to go to UOW since Yr 9 now i'm in and its great!!!
I live about 6hrs away from Wollongong so its gunna be a bit scary moving from a town with 1 set of traffic lights to the city, but i'm excited about coming.
Anyway tell me everything about the Uni both good and bad stuff...if there is any!! Are all the lecturers really nice? What r the lectures like and the tutorials. What do you do during O week?? Do people actually tell you what university is going to be like or is it asumed that you already know, coz i wouldnt have a clue as you can probably tell by my stupid questions!!!
Anyway anything anyone can tell me would be great and much appreciated!

THANKS

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
O Week at wollongong isn't organised very well, if it is too much trouble it isn't really worth comming.

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
Where do you live?? I live in forbes. I've applied for Werona College lst then i put Campus East second. What about you?
What are you hoping to study there??

ziggyboy

HSC
Jess_L said:
Where do you live?? I live in forbes. I've applied for Werona College lst then i put Campus East second. What about you?
What are you hoping to study there??
Wow, that's far. Have you been to Wollongong before? It's really not that much of a city compared to Sydney.

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
Yeah i've been before for a school excursion in yr 10 and at the beginning of this year and for an information day a couple of weeks ago. Its still a city to me, in forbes we have 1 set of traffic lights and thats it!!! Yeah Wollongong is different to Sydney, its a lot better.
I'm so excited about living in Wollongong, how long does it take to get used to the traffic etc??? Coz thats gunna be a problem, i dont even know how to get to Wollongong from Forbes so i've got to work that out too, lol!!!!

HSC
Coming from a country area, I find Wollongong pretty comfortable, though it's not like I go out or anything like that. It's big enough to be a change from back home, but still small enough not to be daunting :)

Good things about UOW:

* We have rabbits on campus ! :)
* And well, other animals, and those goofy birds with the spike on their heads ! :)
* Assuming you're enjoying what you're studying and aren't snowed under with work, it's a very nice environment around campus :)
* Huge variety in students, different cultural backgrounds, sexual preferences, (Despite what some people would have you believe), religions, whatever, all coexist quite well, as far as I've seen at least
* There are security phones all over the place, and as far as I've seen the campus appears to be a relatively safe place, with the exception of some thefts and a flasher dude last year (Not that I saw him).
* It's almost end of session
* Many staff are excellent, and willing to assist with any difficulties you have. I found the thought of asking lecturers for clarification on issues, assignments, and everything else a little intimidating when I arrived, but generally those who I have encountered have been really pleasant about it :)
* Employment prospects upon graduating (If you believe what they tell you, which I [maybe optimistically, am inclined to] are very competitive).
* Additional services on campus should the need arise, such as legal advice, careers advice, and other such stuff. Maybe not useful on a daily basis, but it's all part of the deal :)

Bad things about UOW:

* Some days protesters make it look like a hippy hell hole, but I suppose you're going to get that at any uni.
* Exams on saturdays!
* The particularly aggressive duck which inhabits the duck pond lawn (As the name would suggest) [That is, the name 'Duck pond lawn' suggests that ducks live there, not 'duck' suggests that it is aggressive]:)
* Some staff are mongs, but these are (hopefully) in the minority,depending on your faculty, etc.

I wasn't actually expecting the good points to outnumber the bad ones, I vary a bit from day to day as to whether or not I actually like the place :) On the whole though, as far as I can see it's at least as good as any other uni you could pick :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
The duck you have to worry about is actually named 'Megaduck' and accrues quite a few victims over time with its attacks for food and paper meaning a duck will steal your book if it can and then take it into the water... I've been one such victim.

Uni is great, O Week isn't really worth the effort but if you're looking for some company, just post when you're free on here during semester and you can most likely meet up with a few of us... although a few of us do prove to be elusive.

Lectures tend to be of a decent standard although with all things you do get the odd appalling lecturer and tutor for some classes. I love UOW and make sure you make a visit to the unibar. Trivia is on tuesdays at 12:30pm and 3:30pm and most thursdays theres a band playing with a few big name bands making appearances which is always good.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I think i know the duck you are taking about, i haven't been attacked yet though

and none of the birds are the least bit afraid of you

Ninga

HSC
Um, mega duck as in Big Red? I only know it as big red, never heard mega duck.

If you've living at a college, then they have shitloads of O-week stuff planned so if u dont know many people, O week is the time u can meet new people and drink for 5 days straight.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
No, not big red... another duck, the violent one.

Gomer

HSC
LOL

Yeah when i first visited UOW with my sister who goes there, she made sure she pointed out Megaduck.

The rabbits are cool, and i like the grounds at the uni. I hope i get in next year.

-- Gomer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)