On Campus Accomodation (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Note: Thread updated on 6 October 2007. The thread is current as of this time, but it is always best to check with the university for current information at the time of your application - Without Wings.

I thought this would be helpful for people who are looking at possibly moving into university accomodation next year... here is all the information i could find on each campus including its location and the prices

University Managed Accommodation

CAMPUS EAST
Campus East houses 555 University students, both Undergraduate and Post-Graduate, from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Students from around the world, including Sweden, China, Indonesia and Africa and the USA to name a few, choose to live at Campus East during the academic year.

Campus East is situated in the northern Wollongong beachside suburb of Fairy Meadow. Originally the Illawarra's Migrant Hostel, Campus East was purchased by the University of Wollongong in 1987 for the purpose of housing students.
A short walk to public transport and one of the South Coast's most beautiful surfing beaches, Campus East boasts a relaxed and convivial lifestyle for residents.

Campus East runs a "user pays" shuttle bus service to and from the main University Campus at regular intervals from Monday through Friday. Bus tickets are 7 dollars each and give each resident ten bus trips.

Campus East offers two types of accommodation: flexi catered and self catered.

Flexi Catered
Flexi-catered: where residents purchase their meals via pre-paid debit card. You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Dining Room seven days per week or pack a sandwich or salad lunch to take with you to the University’s main campus on weekdays. If you have significant casual work commitments, like to travel home for the weekends, or just want to sleep in of a morning you only pay for the meals you eat. This caters for a variety of tastes, and residents dietary requirements are always considered.

Residents enjoy comfortable living arrangements in single study bedrooms within individual units comprised of 2, 3, 4, and 5 bedrooms. Each unit has a bathroom and a shared telephone.

Self Catered
Campus East opened self catered units in mid 2005 where residents can cook and clean for themselves while living with friends of their own choice (the majority of units are shared between 5 students).

Enquiries can be made to the Head of Campus East, James Atkinson jamesa@uow.edu.au

WEERONA
Weerona College was officially opened in 1990, and is now home to 204 residents from all over the world

Weerona College has 35 shared rooms and 134 single rooms, and they are filled by undergraduate and postgraduate, domestic and international as well as study abroad students. Each year there are approximately 60 international residents adding to the diversity of the community.

Weerona is a fully catered college, where 19 meals a week (all meals excluding weekend lunches) are provided. Any special dietary requirements can be taken care of by the kitchen staff. College rooms are cleaned fortnightly and common areas (such as bathrooms, toilets and common rooms) are cleaned daily. A maintenance staff is available during office hours for all problems, as well as after hours for emergencies.

Any enquiries can be directed to Rene Bitabara by email or by phone (02) 42215240.

INTERNATIONAL HOUSE
International House (IH) houses up to 310 residents from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds with approximately 20 nations represented. IH has been providing this experience for over 25 years and offers two styles of accommodation:
(a) “The college” 218 college or dormitory style beds which are catered (breakfast and dinner is provided for you). Communal dining caters for a variety of tastes, and residents dietary requirements are always considered.
(b) “The apartments”- between 40-58 self-catered (you cook for yourself) 3 person apartments adjacent to the college. Residents often begin their experience in the College and move to the Apartments in their second or third year.

IH is superbly located in a semi Australian bushland setting. A 10 minute walk to main campus, 15 minutes to the spectacular North Beach and 15 minutes to Wollongong CBD. The railway station is 3 minutes walk - just 80 minutes from the centre of Sydney- a truly international city.

IH has several common areas including the dining room, games room with pool table, table tennis and giant outdoor chess, large TV lounge room, library and quiet study rooms, and kitchenettes to cook after hours within the College. IH also has a music room and three computer labs for 24hour connectivity. IH also has outdoor barbecue and Sun Deck eating, and its own Café.
For further information please contact our Administrative Coordinator, Ms Sharon Peaston by email or by phone + 61 02 4221 5254.

KEIRAVIEW
Located in Keira Street, Wollongong. Keiraview Accommodation is a short walk to shops, beach and either Wollongong or North Wollongong train station. A range of rooms are available including 40 student rooms, which are single rooms with ensuites, TVs and a communal kitchen which has your own fridge and lockable cupboard. They have an outdoor BBQ area and also an indoor communal lounge/TV area, and internet lounge/cafe.

More information: http://www.keiraviewaccommodation.com.au

GUNDI
Gundi is a 7 apartment complex situated closer to the City of Wollongong than the other residences.

It is located in Gipps Street North Wollongong, a short stroll from the beautiful Wollongong boat harbour, Continental swimming pool, City and North Wollongong beaches. It is a 40 minute walk from the University, with bus stops nearby.

It comprises 5 six bedroom and 2 two bedroom apartments. Each apartment has single bedroom and share kitchen/dining and bathroom facilities.

The complex caters to the independent students wishing to cook and clean for themselves.

Gundi is managed and maintained by University staff with Senior Residents on site to assist with the day-to day running of the complex.

Gundi can be occupied for 52 weeks of the year, however the following conditions apply:
- Residents wishing to remain after their licence agreement has terminated can apply to stay for all or part of Summer Session.
- New residents wishing to stay for part or all of the summer period must complete an Application form and pay the application fee. Online applications are available at http://apply-accom.uow.edu.au.
For further information, please contact Rene Bitabara or phone the office on +61 2 4221 5240.

Kooloobong
First year university students are not usually eligible to live at Kooloobong , however consideration can be given under special circumstances to individual students.

Kooloobong is located on campus, West of the University buildings in a picturesque location at the base of the Illawarra escarpment.

Kooloobong residents have direct access to all University services and amenities. eg. heated swimming pool, tennis courts, gym, library, bank, food halls, medical facilities.

Kooloobong is a 190 bed residence comprised of 38 units, located on the main University campus in Northfields Avenue.

All units are five single bedrooms and residents share bathroom, kitchen and lounge/dining areas. The Kooloobong residential campus caters to residents who wish to live independently - doing their own cooking and cleaning. Units are fully furnished, managed and maintained by University staff.

The licence period of agreement is 39 weeks and fees include electricity and water. (Conditions apply.)

Kooloobong has a diverse population with the majority of residents concluding undergraduate qualifications and a number of the population continuing their post graduate qualifications.

For further information, please contact acccom_services@uow.edu.au or the office on 61 2 42215467

Graduate House
Graduate House is at the University's gateway. It provides independent living for students undertaking post graduate study. 78 units provide single bedsitters (single person), large bedsits (2 persons), 2 and 3 bedroom apartments for families.

Graduate house is the University of Wollongong's only residence established exclusively for post graduates and their families. Apartments are basically furnished, but residents must provide their own crockery, cutlery, small appliances and linen.

For more information please contact accom_services@uow.edu.au or phone the office on +61 2 4221 5467

Prices For Accomodation - 2007

UOW Accommodation 2007 Fee Schedule

Accommodation Fees are quoted on a per session basis.

Standard Accommodation Contract Dates for All Residents (new and returning)
  • Autumn: Saturday 17 February 2007 – Sunday 8 July 2007
  • Spring: Sunday 8 July 2007 – Sunday 18 November 2007

Applying to Live on Campus
Applications for University accommodation close on November 30th for entry in the Autumn Session or March intake of the following year. For those students commencing in the Spring Session or July intake, the closing date for applications is May 1st.

If your application is received after the closing date, it will be considered late, and will be dealt with only after those received by the closing date have been considered.

Here is the link for applying to live on campus http://apply-accom.uow.edu.au/.

If you do not wish to apply online you can contact the campus and have them send you a paper-based application form. The university encourages all applicants to apply online, as this method prevents paperwork being lost in the post or lost by a courier.

Fees to Apply:
  • First time Australian Resident Applicants AUD$ 75.00
  • Returning Australian Resident Applicants AUD$ 50.00
  • Returning International Resident Applicants AUD$ 50.00
  • First time International Resident Applicants AUD$ 75.00

Other Info
This is the link to see photos of each campus: http://accommodation.uow.edu.au/about/accommodation/photo_gallery/index.html#

Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.uow.edu.au/about/accommodation/faq/

Last edited by a moderator:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
btw if anyone needs any information about interhalls parties, sports events, balls, etc please pm me

ivank

io
HSC
thanx

sounds good..altho i'm a little confused..
could someone help me-
Im looking for a self catered flat with a good crowd.
also i would like to live alone (without a roommate)...mebbe sumthing close to the univ but thats not so important.
also sum good parties wudnt hurt..can anyone help me choose...

ivank

io
HSC
hmm...campus east sounds good.

...and wot if i take a catered accom., will international house be good? and for campus east, if i take the apartm. with 4 roomies, do i have a separate exit. that is can i leave and enter my room directly or thru the common area?

thanx for the help...im getting less confused on wot to choose...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Without Wings said:
campus east has both catered and self catered options

with the self catered, i think you probably enter and exit through your common unit area, tom (atticusfinch) can confirm this as he is in one next semester. Is there a particular reason you are concerned about this for? its not like your room mates sit in your common area and ask where you have been, or when you'll be home etc...altho if you had friendly ones they might :)

with catered at campus east, its the same idea, you have a common area, with a sink, a table and seats, off of which is a bathroom and hte 5 bedrooms. You then eat your meals down in the dining room with everyone else.

i dont really know anything much about catered at international either sorry, im from campus east :)
*returns for quick post*
i know all about self catered seeings as i moved all the furniture in there...
ok so here is the set up
in your common room (which is massive) you have an oven, a big fridge, a tv, a dvd player, two lounges, a bean bag, a cofee table, two steel chairs, a dinner table and 5 wooden chairs. you exit from the common room not the hallway.
self catered is unbelievable for the price and its a really good time with common room parties (one has already happened).
being a member of your friendly campus east r.a im more than happy to give you a tour if you wanna come check it out.
*leaves for melbourne see you all in a week and a bit*

ivank

io
HSC
ha ha..thats exactly why i dont want to enter from the common room..i dont want to have embrssing videos of me made..but campus east sounds real good....so atticus i just might take u up on the tour offer... :D :D

Last edited:

ivank

io
HSC
im sure im going to have fun..that's never been my problem.he he.thanx guys for the help..

xenawp

HSC
N/A
hey guys..i just got an offer for campus east-catered..how is that??? am eager to know of the room/people/parties etc.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
the first six months on campus were the best of my life... hands down
im more than happy to give you the tour any time just let me know... dont get one of the office people to give you a tour, get me. ill show you more and let you in on a few campus scams that they wont let on about
plus it pays to be mates with me at campus hahaha

im in melbourne at a NAUUC conference about making CE a better place. more alchohol methinks... whats this nonsense about safer living environment? hahaha im getting paid to do this

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
hahaha
this little conference will be very helpful for my bid for president next year...
ill show the photos next week

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
and i will be there in a big fashion.
you get to meet mmmsofay and alby because they are coming

anywho
come to campus east

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I don't live on campus but i'll answer what I know.

equiski said:
between Campus East and I-house catered accommodation.

Do these campuses provide student parking? I assume this is the case.
Heaps of parking at campus east and i-house.

equiski said:
What does Campus East provide in terms of common/games/music/tv rooms?
some common rooms, there's a few pool tables. dunno, prolly lots more.

equiski said:
How many meals a week are catered for?
breakfast, lunch, dinner

equiski said:
Is there an incentive to vacate your room during long breaks? If so, does the campus provide any storage space for shit you don't want to take home?
not sure about that.

equiski said:
Thankyou for your time. Any answers/help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh and if anyone could tell me how much AuStudy + Living away from home allowance supplies a week, I will love them forever.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
its kinda my job to show people around and give them a tour. let me know if you ever want one.
my advice, campus east is perfect for you, having lived here for most of this year i can safely say it has been the best time of my life... campus east is fuck off fun, if you take advantage of what is on offer. take for example what i have just woken up from. that being recovery and interhalls ball
stretched over 2 days, it was all you can drink beer and wine... i am wounded

if you like the beach, campus east is a 5 min walk to a sweet beach break, i do surf lessons so you can learn to surf haha...

any more questions i am happy to answer... add me on msn
prisonermonkeys@hotmail.com

powerhouse

HSC
How do you like living at UoW?

I'm possibly applying for accomodation at UoW. There's just a few questions I should ask:

Do some people get rejected in applying for accomodation?
If so, what kinds of things increase your chances of being accepted?
How is the food in the catered accomodation?
Are the rooms pre-furnished?
How is the party life at your accomodation?
Can you apply for a kind of study allowance?
How easy it it finding a job near East Campus?

If I think of any more i'll add them.

EDIT: Either someone moved this or there was an error because I posted this as a new thread...

Last edited:

powerhouse

HSC
Study allowance from the government? Something like Austudy...

And thanks for answering the questions!

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
sunjet said:
Is UOW only Uni with on-campus accomodation?
i think you will find every uni has on campus accomodation considering the representation at NAAUC this year

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
campus east re opens trenches

meaning c.e will have 590 students next session...
basically all the australians who have already applied are in if they are offered a position at the uni...
if you are still going to apply i wouldnt bother putting your name down for self catered because preference is given to returning residents the other spots have been filled im told... there is still a waiting list but its catered

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)