FAQ: Early Entry (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
UOW official early entry sites

http://www.uow.edu.au/prospective/earlyentry/

What degrees does it apply to?
  • Arts: all degrees (except for the Bachelor of Communication & Media Studies International - Honours)
  • Creative Arts: all degrees
  • Commerce: Bachelor of Commerce (Batemans Bay, Bega, Moss Vale, Shoalhaven and Wollongong) & Bachelor of Business Administration (Batemans Bay, Bega, Loftus, Moss Vale, Shoalhaven and Wollongong)
  • Education: ONLY available for the Bachelor of Education: The Early Years, Bachelor of Science Education* or Bachelor of Maths Education*
  • Engineering: All degrees
  • Health and Behavioural Sciences: ONLY available for Bachelor of Arts (Population Health), Bachelor of Science (Population Health), Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Health Science in Indigenous Health Studies
  • Informatics: all degrees
  • Law: all degrees
  • Science: all degrees (except for the Bachelor of International Science)

What are the most Important factor in determining early entry acceptance?
Marks. If you have very good marks 85+ in relavent subjects you are almost guarrenteed acceptance. A portfolio is also look upon highly for the courses that accept portfolios (eg. computer science, creative arts). Extra curricular activities are only really factored in if you don't meet the previous requirements.

How should I dress for interview?
Just dress comfortably, but neatly. If you want to dress formally that is fine, no disadvantage. But if your not comfortable in formal clothes then you might not perform as well in the interview.

What questions would you expect at the interview?
omgzergrush said:
How would you describe your school marks?
Are you happy with these marks?
Why are you interested in this course?
Why do you think this is the right course for you?
What colour is your underwear (If applicable)?
Do you have interests in other courses?
Why are you interested in this University?
More specifically, what factors made you choose to apply at UoW rather than a different University?
Are you aware of the workload which this course, or University in general entails?
Do you have any background or related skills which you think make you appropriate for this course?

Basically you should expect a bunch of questions geared at determining roughly how apt you are, how you've coped with work up to this point and most importantly aimed at determining whether or not you are seriously interested in undertaking the course and sticking it out to the end (Making sure that you're not just doing it for something to do, because you think it will have "hot chix", etc).

It's been a few years since I did mine, but that's pretty much how it went back then.
Gough Whitlam said:
On top of ogmzergrush said, some questions I was asked last year in my interview (Computer Science):
Why this degree?
Why do you enjoy programming?
Why Wollongong?
What do you see yourself in 10 years time?

Post any other questions here or call the uni up, UOW is a small uni so they don't mind answering calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

StevChe

HSC
Early Entry Questions

hey guys just wondering if anyone can give us a small outline on some of the questions they will ask at UOW early entry. Mayb some ppl who went early entry last yr can give us an idea of the questions.

Ta . Steve

HSC
Can i just get this one issue which is bugging me sorted. If we go for early entry must it be our number one uac preference?

If we are offered an early entry scheme, must we accept it?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
Can i just get this one issue which is bugging me sorted. If we go for early entry must it be our number one uac preference?

Nope, like scholarships, it is your choice to accept or not. They also cannot force you to put it on top of preferences.

Scanorama

HSC
DigitalFortress said:

You dont have to accept it, however if you do choose to accept the offered course, you must place it as your first preference for the MAIN round offer.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
You dont have to accept it, however if you do choose to accept the offered course, you must place it as your first preference for the MAIN round offer.
It proves to be a bit of a gamble. Do you take a guaranteed position in a degree with which you can tolerate but aren't exactly happy with, or do you take the punt and refuse the early entry in hope of getting that course you really want while hoping that you don't miss out altogether.

HSC
When does MAIN round offers take place? Is this in January?

Anyway I've got conflicting information.
http://www.uow.edu.au/prospective/early_entry.html

Please note that you will still need to apply for University entry through UAC (Universities Admission Centre). The University of Wollongong degree must be your highest eligible preference in order for the Early Entry offer to be activated.
Where as i've read elsewhere it must be one of your preferences.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
When does MAIN round offers take place? Is this in January?

Anyway I've got conflicting information.
http://www.uow.edu.au/prospective/early_entry.html

Where as i've read elsewhere it must be one of your preferences.
It must be "highest Eligible preference" this doesn't have to be your top preferences.

eg.

1. Combined Law USYD 99.6
2. Combined Law UOW 91.5
3. Combined Law UNSW 99.3

if you got 95 UAI UOW would be your highest eligible preference.

main round stops 9th december.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
how long does it usually to take to receive your letter after your early entry interview, its been a week as off today n a few people of theres in four days :(

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not sure, but if you have it, there's no harm.

Most of the judgement will be based on your trial marks.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Early Entry for 2009 anyone?

Hey i was just wondering if anyone is applying for 2009 Early Entry? If so, what subjects and faculties? Any successful entrants from previous years please feel free to post some hints...

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
Re: Early Entry for 2009 anyone?

Hey! Im currently in my 3rd yr at UOW. I got in through early entry for Population Health. I have since changed degrees. I would advise you to go for whatever early entry programs are available that you're interested in of course. Once you get in to uni you can pretty much change to any degree you like.. thats what i did anyway.
What i did was write a letter about my goals etc and why i wanted to go to UOW and attached my yr 12 trial and half- yearly results. I got a letter a few mths before the HSC began saying i was accepted into UOW. It felt soo good and its such a load off your mind during the HSC to know you're already into uni.
So yeh go for whatever you can coz you never know!!!

Hope this helps, let me know if i can help more.

Jess

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

Jess_L said:
Hey! Im currently in my 3rd yr at UOW. I got in through early entry for Population Health. I have since changed degrees. I would advise you to go for whatever early entry programs are available that you're interested in of course. Once you get in to uni you can pretty much change to any degree you like.. thats what i did anyway.
What i did was write a letter about my goals etc and why i wanted to go to UOW and attached my yr 12 trial and half- yearly results. I got a letter a few mths before the HSC began saying i was accepted into UOW. It felt soo good and its such a load off your mind during the HSC to know you're already into uni.
So yeh go for whatever you can coz you never know!!!

Hope this helps, let me know if i can help more.

Jess
That was an extremely sincere and genuinely nice reply- a rare sight on these forums!

HSC

Jess_L said:
I got a letter a few mths before the HSC began saying i was accepted into UOW.
How early did they have the interviews for you? i though most people didn't find out till about 4 weeks before the hsc. The interviews this year are at the end of september and hsc starts mid october. just curious thats all probably me just being padantic (sp?)

gibson-166

HSC

can anyone explain how i'd go about applying for a double degree (engineering/commerce)? the website doesnt really explain it very well. i think i have to apply for each degree separately or something but im not sure

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A

gibson-166 said:
can anyone explain how i'd go about applying for a double degree (engineering/commerce)? the website doesnt really explain it very well. i think i have to apply for each degree separately or something but im not sure
Well back in my days you would either ask them at the Engineering interview that ur interested in double degrees or they might ask you.

nrs1990

HSC

gibson-166 said:
I'm applying for a double degree in creative arts/law, and on the online application for law, there's a little drop-down box asking what degree/combination you want to do. Maybe there's something similar for your combination?

gibson-166

HSC

nrs1990 said:
I'm applying for a double degree in creative arts/law, and on the online application for law, there's a little drop-down box asking what degree/combination you want to do. Maybe there's something similar for your combination?
na there isnt. i think its because they're from different faculty's or something. i emailed the engineering faculty and they said to apply separately. uow needs a better formatted website, duno about everyone else but i find it pretty confusing

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC

applied for the 4year LLB...its kinda my backup incase i dont get to unis in sydney e.g. macq e.t.c

any1 else?

just outta curiousity wat kind of results are they looking for?...ive got top 5 in all my subjects listed below and 1st in eco nd modern...is that okaii...and will standard english let me down????...hope not :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)