First day at Uni......whats it like???? (1 Viewer)

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
Hey everyone!!

I've been accepted into UOW next year after deferring my offer this year. I'm really scared about coming because I have no idea what to expect! also coming from a small country town I dont know Wollongong at all, I don't even know how to get to the uni!! How hard will it be to adjust to a new town and a new routine???

I've heard about how fun O week is, but apart from the partying do they teach you about lectures, tutorials etc and what to expect when uni actually starts the week after??

What was your first day like?? Was it hard making friends?? What were your first impressions about uni life, the lectures etc? What was it like moving away from home and living on campus? I'm hopefully getting into Weerona, if anyone stayed at Weerona what did you think of it?? Was it hard picking subjects and enrolling??

The more I know the better i'll feel about coming!! If anyone can tell me anything that would be great!!!!!

THANKS!!!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
don't stress - uni is a lot of fun...

as for knowing what to do in lectures etc.. you will usually have an introductory lecture in o'week to give u a general idea of what is expected..

are you living on campus? if so you'll have friends in no time (i think the first hour was awkward when i moved to college and after that i was fine) - living on campus is great and there are heaps of people in the same boat as you - moving out for the first time and going to uni for the first time (and you'll meet people in your course so you can go to lectures together)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Jess_L said:
Hey everyone!!

I've been accepted into UOW next year after deferring my offer this year. I'm really scared about coming because I have no idea what to expect! also coming from a small country town I dont know Wollongong at all, I don't even know how to get to the uni!! How hard will it be to adjust to a new town and a new routine???

I've heard about how fun O week is, but apart from the partying do they teach you about lectures, tutorials etc and what to expect when uni actually starts the week after??

What was your first day like?? Was it hard making friends?? What were your first impressions about uni life, the lectures etc? What was it like moving away from home and living on campus? I'm hopefully getting into Weerona, if anyone stayed at Weerona what did you think of it?? Was it hard picking subjects and enrolling??

The more I know the better i'll feel about coming!! If anyone can tell me anything that would be great!!!!!

THANKS!!!
What degree are you doing?

First day of uni is an anti-climax. Don't worry. :)

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
I'm doing the Bachelor of Arts Population Health degree. How do you mean its an anti climax??

Moonshadow

~*Almost Here*~
HSC
Jess_L said:
Hey everyone!!

THANKS!!!
Don't worry about anything, it's not as bad as you think! It's really easy to make friends, and you'll get to know your way round the gong in no time! :p And moving away from home and living on campus is fun. I also plan on living at weerona next year, I lived at campus east this year, and while it was great it's not my kind of place. And I had quite a few friends living at weerona, and they seemed to have a good time there (and are planning on returning :p). So assuming we both get in, I guess I'll see you there next year in O-week! Feel free to ask questions if you want, I'll help if I can ;)

Jess_L

3rd Year UOW Student
HSC
Moonshadow said:
Don't worry about anything, it's not as bad as you think! It's really easy to make friends, and you'll get to know your way round the gong in no time! :p And moving away from home and living on campus is fun. I also plan on living at weerona next year, I lived at campus east this year, and while it was great it's not my kind of place. And I had quite a few friends living at weerona, and they seemed to have a good time there (and are planning on returning :p). So assuming we both get in, I guess I'll see you there next year in O-week! Feel free to ask questions if you want, I'll help if I can ;)
Yeh well from what i heard everyone knows everyone at Weerona so i guess i will meet u at some point!! Thats cool!! Hopefully i'll see you there. Do you know if the group all the first years in the same block or are we all going to be spread out??

What was your first day like at Campus East last year, what do u do when ur parents leave and your on your own, are there people around organising things to do or do you have to find things to do yourself??

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Uni is heaps fun (compared to high school!) and I found UOW way friendlier than the last uni I went to (I went to a different uni for a year and then dropped out cos it sucked).
Ifyou want to meet lots of cool people you should hang out at the unibar between classes.
Oh, and I though O-week sucked.

Moonshadow

~*Almost Here*~
HSC
Jess_L said:
Yeh well from what i heard everyone knows everyone at Weerona so i guess i will meet u at some point!! Thats cool!! Hopefully i'll see you there. Do you know if the group all the first years in the same block or are we all going to be spread out??

What was your first day like at Campus East last year, what do u do when ur parents leave and your on your own, are there people around organising things to do or do you have to find things to do yourself??
lol yeah I think everyone does know everyone at weerona :p I'm not sure about whether they group first years together or not... though I don't see why they would, I think they would mix different years together (so that first years would be able to ask 2nd/3rd years for help or whatever). I can find out though ;)

And as for my first day at campus east... bad example. For a start, I only moved in there halfway through o-week, so I missed half of the few things they'd organised anyway :p Secondly, at the beginning of the year CE was overcrowded, and I was one of the ones who got to share a room with someone for a couple of weeks (luckily in my case it was a nice american chick who is still a good friend - though of course she's back in the USA now) until the people who were there over summer eventually left... of course I was supposed to have been told about that before I got there, though I wasn't. But anyway. It doesn't matter anymore. ;)

And as for whether they organise things to do in o-week, campus east sucked for that, though I know weerona does stuff... I can't remember exactly what, though I can find out if you really want to know. From memory it was stuff like pub crawls, getting to know wollongong, etc... I can't remember what Reece told me now, it was too long ago :p but basically it would be something like getting to know other people and wollongong. Hope that helps, and hopefully see you next year! :D

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
It's sort of like a kick in the nuts, which continues for three, four or possibly more years. Of course, you won't be too familiar with that either, but eh, you get the idea.
So very well said. I try to numb the pain by using the unibar facilities.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Make you you read the subject outlines on WebCT (online course supplementary thing) before going to any labs/tutorials/seminars in the first week. I didn't realise that the majority of my subjects didn't have these start until week 2. :eek:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
agreed spewy

i washed my hands of the c east r.a for good this year... fuck em!

haha nah theyll do a sweet job, o week should be awesome

Gomer

HSC
Without Wings said:
Joe, i wasnt in the annex you idiot. I was in post-grad all the time :p i just hung out with u reject annexers :p
Oh yeah. You had no friends so you hung with us. Hahaha. :p

-- Gomer

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
hey joey why do you always do this

-- gomer

i know its your by virtue of your username you git haha

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
girl has a point joey... i mean within two weeks you had already had a video of you spwing several times circulated around campus

to which i must add i have re mixed, re worked every single way possible since haha

remember academy awards and my rendition of spew boy? easily the best yet

edensmells

HSC
hey guys i finish my hsc this year (06) and the plan is to move down to the gong. Also planning to get my own place witha friend rather than living on campus. Do those who dont live on campus get excluded from the weerona and ce parties or activites? and do we get to do the same 'get to know the gong' activities cos i dont really know the place. What happens to the poor kids off campus????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)