Quadratic Identities (1 Viewer)

aimzlouise

HSC
Hey guys, I’m currently stuck on maths question so some help would be much appreciated.

3. If 2x²+x+1 and a9x+-1)(x-2) +b(x-1)+c are equal for all values of x, find a , b and c.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Please show working. Thanks again people…

HSC
aimzlouise said:
Hey guys, I’m currently stuck on maths question so some help would be much appreciated.

3. If 2x²+x+1 and a(x+-1)(x-2) +b(x-1)+c are equal for all values of x, find a , b and c.
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
just equate the coeffiecients
cant be bothered to actually do it
no maths for a while

aimzlouise

HSC
Thats why im stuck.... because i was reading the examples in the book and i just don't get it...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
aimzlouise said:

3. If 2x²+x+1 and a(x+-1)(x-2) +b(x-1)+c are equal for all values of x, find a , b and c.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Just expand the whole thing. Collect all x2 terms and equate them to both sides. Do this similarly for x and the constant term. You end up with three simultaneous equations to solve for a, b and c.
This is just using the theorem that:
If ax2 + bx + c = dx2 + ex + f, then
a = d, b = e and c = f

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Hey, can you repost the question please, I can't really read what it says, i'll try to help :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
gurmies said:
Hey, can you repost the question please, I can't really read what it says, i'll try to help :)

If 2x²+x+1 and a(x+-1)(x-2) +b(x-1)+c are equal for all values of x, find a , b and c.

i guess i may as well do it then.

a(x^2-3x+2)+bx-b+c=ax^2-3ax+2a+bx-b+c=ax^2+x(b-3a)+(2a+b+c)

equation coefficients, a=2 b-3a=1 2a+b+c=1
sub a into the 2nd one, b-6=1 b=7 sub into third, 4+7+c=1 c=-10

i think..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)