Integration help againn (1 Viewer)

sky_angel

HSC
I'm trying to finish off Maths hw now because my teacher is checking tomorrow, and I totally forgot about it :( Can you help me with a few questions? I keep getting the answer wrong but I double checked my answer like a millionnn times but I still keep getting it wrong! Like, even the easiest question in the homework was wrong.

The question asked to find the area under the curve y=x from -1 to 1 so I integrated it with limits -2 and 2, but i keep getting 0!!! even wolfram said 0 but the answer for the homework says the answer is 1. Are the answers wrong???? Please help!!!

sky_angel

HSC
woopsss i meant from -1 to 1. The thing is, for one section of the homework I kept getting it right. Now this section I'm getting them ALL wrong

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

We integrate like this because we get a negative area if we where to integrate straight out from -1 to 1. This will effective cancel the area out.

Alternatively you can use the area of a triangle from limits 0 to 1 then double! Since the curve is an odd function!

sky_angel

HSC

We integrate like this because we get a negative area if we where to integrate straight out from -1 to 1. This will effective cancel the area out.
thankss :3 but i dont understand the negative area part. how can you have negative area?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
thankss :3 but i dont understand the negative area part. how can you have negative area?
You don't. But when we are integrating from -1 to 0, we get a negative area as our answer. Try it out. This is exactly why I have introduced the absolute brackets.

sky_angel

HSC
Why from -1 to 0 gives negative area :S, like why not from 0 to 1 or something? Is it because the limit is minus, so the area is minus?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Graph the curve and shade the boundaries of the limit. Can you now see why?

If the question doesn't ask for the area, then 0 would be your answer as you would compute the integral normally.

nightweaver066

HSC
Why from -1 to 0 gives negative area :S, like why not from 0 to 1 or something? Is it because the limit is minus, so the area is minus?

When you're trying to find the area between -1 to 0, it uses the y-values of the graph. The y-values between -1 to 0 are negative, so you end up with a negative value for the area.

deswa1

HSC
Integration finds the 'positive' area under a curve- essentially the area above the x axis minus the area below the x axis. This is why when you integrated from -1 to 1, you got 0 because the two areas exactly cancelled out.

Between -1 and 0, the curve is below the x axis so the integral will be negative.

sky_angel

HSC
I graphed it and I got two triangles. But I still don't get how you get negative area... it just doesn't make sense.... that's like me saying that there's a negative distance or a negative time.

sky_angel

HSC
Ohhhhhhhh I get it now! Thanks!!! :3 do you mind if I ask a few more questions later if I have problems?

sky_angel

HSC
It's why we are awake dear mistress ask away.
i love youuu <33 you are a life saver

you said something like if the curve is negative then the area is negative too. Does this mean that I can't just find the area without a sketch now? So like do I have to actually sketch all the curves to see where it's negative??

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

you said something like if the curve is negative then the area is negative too. Does this mean that I can't just find the area without a sketch now? So like do I have to actually sketch all the curves to see where it's negative??
Yes I do recommend you start off by sketching the curves. Once you do heaps you can tell!

nightweaver066

HSC

Sketching makes things so much easier.

I generally sketch a quick graph every time i'm finding area/volume.

sky_angel

HSC
Sketching makes things so much easier.

I generally sketch a quick graph every time i'm finding area/volume.
okay then, this part will take longer I guess.. how fast can you do them? I've got about 5 left to do, how long would it take you to do that?

enoilgam

HSC
You should always sketch with these things first, so many stupid mistakes are made by NOT laying the ground work before getting into a question.

Just do a quick sketch, it doesnt have to be perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)