Mathematics... I'm struggling. (1 Viewer)

LC14199

HSC
While the title is the biggest understatement of the year, the concept still applies. But here's what really makes me :mad3:

Our school uses the Maths In Focus textbook, and I completed all the questions in the exercises from the HSC Trigonometric Functions, and had a topic test on it. One of the questions threw in an approximation method from the Integration chapter (Simpsons rule) which I figured they'd put in, but I just lost the plot for it.

I did a past paper, I did all the exercises, and still had problems answering a lot of the questions in the test (To the point where I'm reasonably sure I failed). I also failed my half yearly, so I'm pretty sure I've failed the internal component of the HSC for mathematics (Since 55% weighting in total of failed tasks means I can't save the course). I spent HOURS on those exercises, for nothing. Believe me, that makes me want to throw tables at walls and do all kinds of other violent actions in order to exhaust this cyclone of emotional energy that's inside my brain.

I did everything I was told that would improve my marks, and they stayed the same. So what am I supposed to do now? Do more feking questions?

The fact that I also absolutely hate maths also doesn't help with information retention whatsoever. The reason why I hate it is because I can put hours of effort into something, and the teacher gives no positive reinforcement whatsoever, and then my assessments are crap, further shattering whatever minuscule amount of confidence I had left.

Ideas? :(

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
While the title is the biggest understatement of the year, the concept still applies. But here's what really makes me :mad3:

Our school uses the Maths In Focus textbook, and I completed all the questions in the exercises from the HSC Trigonometric Functions, and had a topic test on it. One of the questions threw in an approximation method from the Integration chapter (Simpsons rule) which I figured they'd put in, but I just lost the plot for it.

I did a past paper, I did all the exercises, and still had problems answering a lot of the questions in the test (To the point where I'm reasonably sure I failed). I also failed my half yearly, so I'm pretty sure I've failed the internal component of the HSC for mathematics (Since 55% weighting in total of failed tasks means I can't save the course). I spent HOURS on those exercises, for nothing. Believe me, that makes me want to throw tables at walls and do all kinds of other violent actions in order to exhaust this cyclone of emotional energy that's inside my brain.

I did everything I was told that would improve my marks, and they stayed the same. So what am I supposed to do now? Do more feking questions?

The fact that I also absolutely hate maths also doesn't help with information retention whatsoever. The reason why I hate it is because I can put hours of effort into something, and the teacher gives no positive reinforcement whatsoever, and then my assessments are crap, further shattering whatever minuscule amount of confidence I had left.

Ideas? :(
Problem A.

By general consensus the textbook your school uses is absolute dog-trash, and has very easy questions that don't really challenge you or help you learn
I recommend you track down a copy of Cambridge 2U or Fitzpatrick 2U

Problem B.

Textbook questions, while good for learning and applying the concepts initially are really only like 45-65% of the learning you need to ace exams
One past paper is probably not sufficient. The best way is to do plenty. I understand you might not have access to that many) but you can look through other school papers easily available online, or HSC papers and pick out questions relating to the topic you're studying. Honestly, you won't improve doing the same basic questions over and over again, you need to challenge yourself and your understanding to really make significant change.

Maybe prioritise your time, and only do as many textbook questions as you need, rather than as many that there are.
In regards to positive reinforcement, just keep doing past papers and evaluating what and why you got things wrong. If you can do them in test conditions and mark them properly.
The key is making sure you understand and are accountable for each and every mark you drop. When you get something wrong you should be able to do that kind question correctly from that point on. That is imperative. There are only so many types of questions in 2U, and it's very very possible to conquer them purely through volume. (With some exceptions, fk bos trials)

That said, trust me, there is no better positive reinforcement than marking your paper and writing a big fat 100% on the front. That is the goal here

Let's say you have a fail average so far, so 27.5%/55%
It's perfectly possible to get 100% for the rest of the year, so you can still reach 72.5% (granted not great, but it's what you're working with)
Even so, external exam is 50% of your course so really you can still get 86.25% theoretically (ok it doesn't really work like this but the point it hope is still alive)

We all gonna make it

leehuan

HSC
^Slight correction to the above statement

With dan964's resources around there are PLENTY of past papers that can be accessed.

LC14199

HSC
I've got my hands on a 2U 2nd Edition Fitzpatrick textbook (only got it today when I got home, after I'd written this thread).

The exercises look much better, and there's far less sub-questions, which is great. MIF tends to have like 20-24 sub-questions in the first question, and it's really annoying. The examples are also more extensive, which I'm happy about. I'll be telling my teacher that the Fitzpatrick text is my goto now, and I'll be doing homework from it instead of MIF, and hopefully I'll do better.

leehuan

HSC
I've got my hands on a 2U 2nd Edition Fitzpatrick textbook (only got it today when I got home, after I'd written this thread).

The exercises look much better, and there's far less sub-questions, which is great. MIF tends to have like 20-24 sub-questions in the first question, and it's really annoying. The examples are also more extensive, which I'm happy about. I'll be telling my teacher that the Fitzpatrick text is my goto now, and I'll be doing homework from it instead of MIF, and hopefully I'll do better.
PLEASE, ensure that you go do as many past papers as possible though. Even though at least the types of questions you have from exercise are now way better.

Textbooks are NOT a substitute for past papers in mathematics

hunzasundal1

HSC
N/A
Hey
I'm currently in y-12, middle of trials, got Mathematics tmr. Can someone drop to general after trials, if yes how does the school calculate internals then? Im stuggling and I want to save my atar, plus if i did drop to general now, could I study for 8 weeks (time left till HSC), and get a 90+ in General?
Thanks

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey
I'm currently in y-12, middle of trials, got Mathematics tmr. Can someone drop to general after trials, if yes how does the school calculate internals then? Im stuggling and I want to save my atar, plus if i did drop to general now, could I study for 8 weeks (time left till HSC), and get a 90+ in General?
Thanks
I think it's way too late to change to general maths and if you change you are putting yourself in too much harm because then you'll have to learn the whole course again when you only have 8 weeks to the HSC (I believe it's approximately 8). Also some schools can be quite strict when it comes to changing subjects so try to keep that in mind

leehuan

HSC
Hey
Thanks
Yeah what eyeseeyou said tbh. You'd have to learn way too much new content in a short period of time now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)