Question on the BOS Syllabus (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

In the syllabus it states "The formula for the distance between two points should be derived, as should the formula for the perpendicular distance of a point (x1, y1) from a line ax + by + c = 0.". In a few other sections it also talks about deriving the formula.
Does this mean we should be able to derive the formula ourselves?
That in a test they might ask that?

Thanks

frog1944

HSC
Is it likely they will ask a question about deriving a formula? Has it happened before?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Is it likely they will ask a question about deriving a formula? Has it happened before?
Very rarely. But you still need to understand how it works though. Hence why teachers go through the proof of the formula.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think it's unlikely they'd get you to derive the perpendicular distance formula.

frog1944

HSC
That was meant solely as an example. For any other level of mathematics and formulas and results should I memorise the proofs?

kashkow

HSC
Who knows, now that they have the reference sheet, they may start to ask for more proofs in exams??

Does anyone think that this may be the case?

I didn't realise this was in the syllabus, so thanks for bringing it up.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
That was meant solely as an example. For any other level of mathematics and formulas and results should I memorise the proofs?
Some proofs/derivations get asked very often in exams (e.g. 4U deriving equation of tangent to conics), which you'll probably end up remembering just by practising past papers enough.

Which ones did you have in mind? Things like proofs of compound angle formulas, calculus rules (like product rule) etc. would be unlikely to be asked as proofs I think.

Take a look at the syllabus, it says which things students are expected to know how to prove, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)