calculus (1 Viewer)

gummibear0731

HSC
N/A
hey,

ive been trying to solve this calculus question from challenge exercise 8, but i dont understand the final part of the question.

question: find the point of intersection between the tangents to the curve y=x^3-2x^2-5x+3 at the points where x =2 and x=-1.

And so i find the equations of both tangets and get: 2x=y+7=0 and x+y+5=0
These intersect at x=-4 and y=-1... ie. (-4,-1).

The answer however is (-4,-73). I realised that if I subbed x into the original equation, out popped the -73 for y, but i dont understand why you would do this, I only tried this after desperately trying to find the y value in the answers. test in a couple of days - help!

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
hey,

ive been trying to solve this calculus question from challenge exercise 8, but i dont understand the final part of the question.

question: find the point of intersection between the tangents to the curve y=x^3-2x^2-5x+3 at the points where x =2 and x=-1.

And so i find the equations of both tangets and get: 2x=y+7=0 and x+y+5=0
These intersect at x=-4 and y=-1... ie. (-4,-1).

The answer however is (-4,-73). I realised that if I subbed x into the original equation, out popped the -73 for y, but i dont understand why you would do this, I only tried this after desperately trying to find the y value in the answers. test in a couple of days - help!
We're not meant to sub. the x-value into the cubic, we are meant to do it in the line equations (which you did originally I think).

gummibear0731

HSC
N/A
We're not meant to sub. the x-value into the cubic, we are meant to do it in the line equations (which you did originally I think).
Yeah that's what i thought... do you think the textbook has the wrong answer?

kashkow

HSC
I'm getting same answers as you OP. I think the answers are just wrong...

m1 = 2 with point at (-1, 5)

y-5=2(x+1)
y-5=2x+2
2x-y+7=0

m2 = -1 (2, -7)

y+7=-1(x-2)
y+7=-x+2
x+y+5=0

x=-4

y=-1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)