Few Questions (1 Viewer)

Zachary Peace

HSC
One more question,

At a particular location, a river 30 metres wide is measured for depth every 5 metres across its width. The measurements from bank to bank are given in the following table
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 3.49.16 PM.png

(i) Use simpsons rule to find the cross-sectional area of the river at this point.

(ii) Use your answer from (i) to find the volume of the water passing through this point in 2 hours, if the water is passing this spot at 1/8 m/sec

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
1)

Straight away this integral must be negative, so the answer is either A or D.

appears to be symmetric around the y-axis, so

You are given

and note that

represents the area of the semicircle from 0 to 2, which you can find in exact form.

2)

A quadratic is positive definite (i.e. always greater than zero) if:
  • it has no real roots, and
  • its leading coefficient is positive.
(It's easy to visualise this by thinking of a quadratic as a parabola on a graph)

This restriction on the leading coefficient () eliminates two of the possible answers immediately.

You can do a simple substitution test on the remaining two choices, which are and .

If the quadratic is positive for all values of , it must be positive for . Substituting , we are left with just the constant term , which has to be positive.

3)

i) If you haven't already, use Simpson's rule. I like to remember it as

Where is the interval length.

ii) A diagram really helps to understand the problem.

Every second, 1.8m of water passes through the cross section.

You can imagine a 3D prism 1.8m long, whose cross section is that of the river's. That's how much water passes through every second.

So, the volume of water passing through the cross section each second is given by

And to get the amount in 2 hours, just do another multiplication.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)